hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4178

It's the QB Stupid!

If you look back about 20 years you will see that the clear better QB won the Super Bowl. Of course, Peyton vs Brees is a tough call. Newton vs Peyton. Wilson vs Brady. I'm not talking about a tough call or one you need to think about.

When it is clear who the better Qb is, the better QB wins. The only exception I really found so far was Flacco vs Kaepernick. Flacco was really good that year but some may think Kaepernick was clearly better.

This is why if you're going to bet on Jimmy G. you might want to think twice. The odds are against him.

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Nick Foles vs Tom Brady..

You think Foles is better?

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post

No. Oops forgot that one. Anymore you can think of?

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

What a crazy year Foles had...guy just clicked with that Eagles team....we saw the true Foles with Jax this year

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    What a crazy year Foles had...guy just clicked with that Eagles team....we saw the true Foles with Jax this year
    offensve line is the real reason he was great.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

Quote Originally Posted by shocka1212 View Post
    Ironic that Wentz gets killed with the Oline

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

Tried to warn people about the MVP thing and Lamar Jackson. No MVP has won SB since Kurt Warner.

Al Masters

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Don’t know the years but I believe
    Eli Manning beat Tom Brady twice in
    the super bowl.

I know you don’t think Eli is better then Tom.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

Don’t know the years but I believe
    Eli Manning beat Tom Brady twice in
    the super bowl.

I know you don’t think Eli is better then Tom.
    Nope. But was it clear at the time that Brady was far and away better than Manning or was it sort of close? I think Brady was NOT that much better than Manning to where is was clearly a mismatch. This game coming up is a clear and obvious mismatch.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Matt Ryan was MVP versus Brady and he didn't win. A little fluky though. And yes I had the Falcons +3. Still bummed about it.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8999

Nope. But was it clear at the time that Brady was far and away better than Manning or was it sort of close? I think Brady was NOT that much better than Manning to where is was clearly a mismatch. This game coming up is a clear and obvious mismatch.
    I think people give Eli more credit than is due because they won the games, but yea it was a obvious mismatch especially the first super bowl. That was season Brady threw 50 tds.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2726

here's five more examples off the top of my head...there might be more but this pretty much dispels the notion that it's all "about the QB stupid"...when clearly it's not...football is the ultimate team sport...you can win superbowls with mediocre QB's as long as you have good skill position players and dominating lines on both sides of the ball...it doesn't hurt to have the better QB but in no way, shape, or form should it be the "be all and end all" when wagering on a football game.

Doug Williams vs. John Elway (1987) Superbowl 22 ...Skins won 42 - 10 ...Elway > Williams

Mark Rypien vs. Jim Kelly (1991) Superbowl 26...Skins won 37 - 24...Kelly > Rypien

Jeff Hostetler vs. Jim Kelly (1990) Superbowl 25...Giants won 20 - 19...Kelly > Hostetler

Eli Manning vs. Tom Brady (2007) Superbowl 42...Giants won 17 - 14...Brady > Manning

Eli Manning vs. Tom Brady (2011) Superbowl 46...Giants won 21 - 17...Brady > Manning

Al Masters

Quote Originally Posted by shocka1212 View Post
    True.

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

All 3 were given MVP award, but opposing teams had superior D's in super bowl.

Rich Gannon (2002)>Brad Johnson
    Brady (2007)>Eli
    Peyton Manning (2013)>Russell Wilson

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

But in the last 20 years only Foles and Manning twice and Brad Johnson. Maybe Trent Dilfer...LOL. That's it! Right? Matt Ryan was an MVP against Brady that's a close matchup. I'm talking clear and obvious. Mahomes is clear and obviously the better QB without question.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

Quote Originally Posted by PromiseLand View Post
    All 3 were given MVP award, but opposing teams had superior D's in super bowl.

Rich Gannon (2002)>Brad Johnson
    Brady (2007)>Eli
    Peyton Manning (2013)>Russell Wilson
    who cares none of those guys could scramble or throw on the run making real life look like madden

PromiseLand

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    who cares none of those guys could scramble or throw on the run making real life look like madden
    You're right. Brady and Manning suck cause they were pocket QBs.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

Quote Originally Posted by PromiseLand View Post
    You're right. Brady and Manning suck cause they were pocket QBs.
    no.

you can't compare that those offensive powered teams lost in the super bowl to good defenses because Mahomes isn't the same as them. his arm is >>>> peyton and brady. he makes plays no one else can. u saw it... beat up man D. extends plays and gets flags for defensive holding/PI. eats up the zones with pin point passing.

can run it in from 30 yards out himself

guys are on here saying oh this reminds me of super bowl 48 so i'm going to go with San Fran... yeah... good luck with that capping.

PromiseLand

Not denying any of that. Just answering the OP's original question of teams who have won the SB with a lesser QB vs. losing team.

Mahomes is a stud and he's gonna be hard as hell to contain, Hill is a speed demon, and Kelce is a beast. SF defense is tough though and they've got a very well balanced offense. Before last game, I would have thought that SF would run silly all over em, but the way KC contained Henry was impressive. Honey badger is the real deal. I keep going back and forth on who I think will win. Gonna be a great game.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

This is a non angle most of the QB matchups are arguable and there are like 7 times where the clear worse QB won in last 35 years. And most of the clear better QBs are Tom Brady, outside of him only a couple.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2726

well the real key to this game is going to be if the Chiefs run defense which is ranked #26 in the NFL (128 yards per game) can slow down or contain the 49'ers ground attack and force Garropolo to beat them with arm...they did a good job on Derrick Henry but the titans were also guilty of giving up on the run game way too soon...it won't matter much if San Fran pounds the ball like they did against Green Bay, control the clock, keep the chains moving, and keep Mahomes and company on the bench by limiting their possessions...conversely, this will be the best defense by far and away that Mahomes has faced this year...it will be interesting to see what kind of pressure the niners can generate on him and how many times he's hurried, hit, or sacked...that will basically tell the story of this game and in all likelihood determine the outcome.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Ironic that Wentz gets killed with the Oline
    Lane Johnson off the PED's.... party can only go on for so long....

cyclingbettor
    cyclingbettor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7872

Nope. But was it clear at the time that Brady was far and away better than Manning or was it sort of close? I think Brady was NOT that much better than Manning to where is was clearly a mismatch.
    You don't think Tom Brady vs Eli Manning was a clear mismatch at quarterback?

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Did the ravens ever have the better qb? Defenses have something to say bout this, not to mention while mahomes Is obviously the best qb in not only this game but the planet Shanny puts jimmy g in great position to succeed. He made Matt Ryan a mvp after all.

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Peyton Manning was one of the worst QBs in the league when he won with the Broncos. And one of the best the two years he lost.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    no.

you can't compare that those offensive powered teams lost in the super bowl to good defenses because Mahomes isn't the same as them. his arm is >>>> peyton and brady. he makes plays no one else can. u saw it... beat up man D. extends plays and gets flags for defensive holding/PI. eats up the zones with pin point passing.

can run it in from 30 yards out himself

guys are on here saying oh this reminds me of super bowl 48 so i'm going to go with San Fran... yeah... good luck with that capping.
    as i was saying 2 weeks ago