thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clemson v. Ohio State - Pick and Write-Up

38-33 in college football this year

I think the value is with Clemson at -2. Clemson came into the season bored and the ACC was trash, they played down to the competition all year, almost losing to teams like North Carolina. Ohio State was very consistent in the regular season compared to last year with Meyer, they obviously wanted to prove they could win without him.

Clemson's schedule has bee very easy but Clemson recruits as well as anyone in the country and they already proved they can beat top teams by beating Bama twice in the last several years.

Sweeney gets most of the credit for building the program but Venables has been great as defensive coordinator. He's shut down nearly every offense he's had extra time to prepare for since 2014.

2014 Clemson holds Oklahoma to 6 in the bowl game
    2015 Clemson holds Oklahoma to 17 the bowl gam
    2016 Clemson shuts out Ohio State in the playoff game
    2017 Clemson only gives up 24 to Bama
    2018 Clemson holds ND to 3 points in the playoff game.

QB play in the big ten was bad this year, Lawrence is far better than Patterson, Lewerke, Coan, or Clifford. Fields was great with play action and a strong running game, but he wasn't great as a pocket passer and Clemson should be able to stop Dobbins and Ohio State's running game.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30436

Do you have any opinion on the total? 63 seems a bit high to me

So hard for me to judge Clemson's relative strengths and weaknesses this year because they just didn't play anyone. I think the most informative game was the one against A&M

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    38-33 in college football this year

I think the value is with Clemson at -2. Clemson came into the season bored and the ACC was trash, they played down to the competition all year, almost losing to teams like North Carolina. Ohio State was very consistent in the regular season compared to last year with Meyer, they obviously wanted to prove they could win without him.

Clemson's schedule has bee very easy but Clemson recruits as well as anyone in the country and they already proved they can beat top teams by beating Bama twice in the last several years.

Sweeney gets most of the credit for building the program but Venables has been great as defensive coordinator. He's shut down nearly every offense he's had extra time to prepare for since 2014.

2014 Clemson holds Oklahoma to 6 in the bowl game
    2015 Clemson holds Oklahoma to 17 the bowl gam
    2016 Clemson shuts out Ohio State in the playoff game
    2017 Clemson only gives up 24 to Bama
    2018 Clemson holds ND to 3 points in the playoff game.

QB play in the big ten was bad this year, Lawrence is far better than Patterson, Lewerke, Coan, or Clifford. Fields was great with play action and a strong running game, but he wasn't great as a pocket passer and Clemson should be able to stop Dobbins and Ohio State's running game.
    Dobbins and Master Teague aint no joke suhn

What the hell makes you think Justin Fields will be a pocket passer vs Clemson?

he is going have time to heal up and get the brace off his knee and he will be ready to run wild.

did you notice Virginia’s dreadlocked running back QB was able to have success on the ground?

and that guy wasn’t scaring anybody with his arm

you stack the box on Ohio State and the WR’s will burn ya for a quick TD

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

he is going have time to heal up and get the brace off his knee and he will be ready to run wild.

did you notice Virginia’s dreadlocked running back QB was able to have success on the ground?

1. Stop with the hood rat lingo "suhn". We know better.

2. He might be running, just not running wild. More like from pressure. He ain't playing Northwestern, speed on defense won't be an issue.

3. Success. 17 points worth. Just 45 short.

2. Once again, not playing Northwestern. No need to stack the box. Wisconsin sacked Fields 5 times. Pretty sure Venables can figure something out.

I actually have Ohio State around a 5 pt. favorite, based on numbers. But numbers ain't everything. I'll gladly lay the 2-2.5. Gonna be hard pressed to enjoy anything more than last year's Bama beatdown. But seeing your hot air balloon get popped ranks pretty high

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    Do you have any opinion on the total? 63 seems a bit high to me

So hard for me to judge Clemson's relative strengths and weaknesses this year because they just didn't play anyone. I think the most informative game was the one against A&M
    I'd lean under give how much time both teams have to prepare. I don't see Clemson staying aggressive if they get the lead early, I'm not planning to bet the total right now though. Fields knee injury and his status are obviously very important.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

Clemson was flat early against Virginia but they shut them down after the first quarter, Clemson will hit Fields if he runs.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    1. Stop with the hood rat lingo "suhn". We know better.

2. He might be running, just not running wild. More like from pressure. He ain't playing Northwestern, speed on defense won't be an issue.

3. Success. 17 points worth. Just 45 short.

2. Once again, not playing Northwestern. No need to stack the box. Wisconsin sacked Fields 5 times. Pretty sure Venables can figure something out.

I actually have Ohio State around a 5 pt. favorite, based on numbers. But numbers ain't everything. I'll gladly lay the 2-2.5. Gonna be hard pressed to enjoy anything more than last year's Bama beatdown. But seeing your hot air balloon get popped ranks pretty high
    Yeah the Ohio State's number definetly look better than Clemson's, but I wasn't impressed with QB play in the big ten and Clemson should be able to move the ball on Ohio State. Clemsont this year reminds me of the Clemson team with Watson that won the rematch with Bama.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

good luck

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24932

I'm not sure why you assert that Clemson "played down to the competition all year" when they blew out everyone save UNC.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think Ohio State’s ready this year I can’t take Clemson

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I think Ohio State’s ready this year I can’t take Clemson
    No way

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    I'm not sure why you assert that Clemson "played down to the competition all year" when they blew out everyone save UNC.
    Clemson played a number of close games despite how bad the account was.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

that game doesn't look that bad in hindsight. UNC is well coached. Clemson beat the dogshit out of everyone they've played. stacked roster, Etienne is a stud and their WR's might be better than Alabama's as a whole

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

Ohio State played more consistent week in week out this year to "prove they can win without Meyer"

come on

maybe Day and his coaches are just better equipped to prepare weekly for each game and get the most out of their best players every game

maybe he's just a better motivator ... he passed all the tests as a coach in the big games vs Michigan and the b10 champ game, making all the right adjustments and motivating while down 14 at half

you've simplified this playoff semifinal too much

these teams are so good and a number of Clemson's players and coaches have already tasted ultimate success and OSU wants to do just that

the game is going to come down to a few big plays in the 4th Q

good luck

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    Ohio State played more consistent week in week out this year to "prove they can win without Meyer"

come on

maybe Day and his coaches are just better equipped to prepare weekly for each game and get the most out of their best players every game

maybe he's just a better motivator ... he passed all the tests as a coach in the big games vs Michigan and the b10 champ game, making all the right adjustments and motivating while down 14 at half

you've simplified this playoff semifinal too much

these teams are so good and a number of Clemson's players and coaches have already tasted ultimate success and OSU wants to do just that

the game is going to come down to a few big plays in the 4th Q

good luck
    There's no motivational edge in games like this.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

Bring on the obvious set Finals!!

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

Buckeyes baby

Eddy Munny

Clemson played a number of close games despite how bad the account was.
    No they didn't. Clemson literally played one close game all year. Not sure how that's even arguable.

Purduekev
    Purduekev's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 306

That first half against the Badgers is just what Ohio St. needed in the Big 10 Championship game to play at a higher level from here on out. A wake up call that you need to play at a different level now against the competition. They have been sleep walking so far and the Badgers got to see the "real" Ohio St. in the second half. No disrespect to the Clemson backers because I don't watch much ACC but this is one of the most athletic Big 10 teams I have seen for quite some time on both sides of the ball. Size is good but size and speed is a deadly combination and they can play any league's top challenger and I would take Ohio St. Let that Buckeye defense get you into a third and passing situation and you have real problems.

Give me points and Ohio St. and I say thank you. Keep in mind I'm a Big 10 homer but I never felt this good about the Big 10 winning it all for quite some time. I haven't placed any wagers yet because it sounds like I am in the minority on this viewpoint so I'm waiting to get a better number but so far its +2 and holding.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

Might take Ohio State ML. Keep thinking about that NC game for Clemson

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    do it Otters!

hell take the 3 to 1 odds at westgate to win the ship

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

you guys watched 1 game of osu all year and you think you know them. acc is god awful. let us see maryland who sucks beat bc just as bad as clemson. Fields was definitely hampered in that game. I think osu is going to blow the door off clemson. Clemson hasn't played a team as quick as the buckeyes on d or o. This buckeye team reminds me of those great alabama from2011 and 2012. Or maybe that great miami fla from 2001.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post

otters i don't need you or bear jumping on the buckeyes. Shouldn't you be taking a 1200 ml favorite?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

yeah Chico

THIS Buckeye team is too fukkin good to lose to Clemson

I’m glad everybody is doubting us, throwing mud on our name, disrespecting us after we go 13-0

the schedule has been murderers row

Penn State
    Michigan
    Wisconsin

back to back to back

WHO NEXT????

Clemson want some?

Sunshine?

Shiiiiiaaaatt

Chase Young giving Trevor Lawrence nightmares

he can feel the footsteps, hear the footsteps, coming around the blind side

Chase Young about to solidify his #1 overall pick status with 6 SACKS!!!!

That’s 2 per quarter and then we pulling starters in the fourth to show Clemson a litttle mercy bc that’s how we roll

we show class in victory

thomorino

No they didn't. Clemson literally played one close game all year. Not sure how that's even arguable.
    Clemson played in many close games, the final score doesn't always show how close the game was most of the way.

Eddy Munny

Clemson played in many close games, the final score doesn't always show how close the game was most of the way.
    You are really committed to being wrong, aren't you...

Final score, stats, eye test... you name it, Clemson played in one close game any way you slice it, unless you have some absurdly broad definition of a "close game" i.e. Clemson wasn't up 21-0 within the first ten minutes therefore it was close.

You're free to present evidence to the contrary of course. If you can convince a jury of your peers that Clemson was legitimately threatened in any other game, I'll award you 2 betpoints and a rhinestone mitten.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

but he wasn't great as a pocket passer

guy had 40 td passes and 1 int

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The best bet is Clemson - 1/2 for the 1st half. It seems as if it takes Ohio State time to wake up and Clemson loves to break out of the gate running.

RM Logic
    RM Logic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7289

The key to this game is if Fields MCL knee issue has healed. His running ability is a huge difference maker in defending OSUs offense.
    Its hard to judge Clemson's defense against the run since they did not play one team all year that is worth a crap.

I think both Clemson and OSU can run the ball on LSU's defense and whoever wins this games beats LSU.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by RM Logic View Post
    The key to this game is if Fields MCL knee issue has healed. His running ability is a huge difference maker in defending OSUs offense.
    Its hard to judge Clemson's defense against the run since they did not play one team all year that is worth a crap.

I think both Clemson and OSU can run the ball on LSU's defense and whoever wins this games beats LSU.
    he will be healed.

pop dat drop dat

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

I don't completely agree with your assessment.

Clemson came into the season bored and the ACC was trash, they played down to the competition all year, almost losing to teams like North Carolina.

Clemson only played down to their competition for one game, the North Carolina game you mentioned. They hammered everyone else.

Clemson recruits as well as anyone in the country

Not true. Clemson recruits like a 2nd tier team (#9 if you look at 247's Team Talent composite), BUT they are one of the best in getting their players to play to their full potential. It is true that they can beat the elite teams, but they are doing so with less talent which says a lot about their coaching staff.
    https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Fo...lentComposite/

QB play in the big ten was bad this year, Lawrence is far better than Patterson, Lewerke, Coan, or Clifford.

I agree with this, but I don't know if this statement says much since the QB play in the ACC was worse, or equally bad at best. Shea Patterson would be the 2nd best QB in the ACC.

Fields was great with play action and a strong running game, but he wasn't great as a pocket passer
    I would say Justin Fields is a great pocket passer, but hesitant decision maker. Maybe we're saying the same thing. When he throws the ball, he is accurate and most of the time it is the right read. That's why he has a 40/1 TD to INT ratio and 67.5% completion rate. However, Fields holds on to the ball way too long - he's taken 27 sacks, 10 of which came from the two games against Wisconsin.

All this being said, Clemson deserves to be the favorite, but I'm personally staying away from betting this one and just going to enjoy the game.

Last edited by wookieehumper; 12-13-19 at 08:33 AM.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by wookieehumper View Post

Not true. Clemson recruits like a 2nd tier team (#9 if you look at 247's Team Talent composite), BUT they are one of the best in getting their players to play to their full potential. It is true that they can beat the elite teams, but they are doing so with less talent which says a lot about their coaching staff.
    Ranking recruits is an inexact science, at all levels of sports. Many a 5 star has amounted to nothing, while recruits who couldn't make a Division 1 roster become high draft picks. Meaningless stat when grading teams, imo.

Clemson has played in 3 of the last 4 championship games, winning 2 of the last 3. That makes them an "elite" team.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by wookieehumper View Post
    I don't completely agree with your assessment.

Clemson came into the season bored and the ACC was trash, they played down to the competition all year, almost losing to teams like North Carolina.

Clemson only played down to their competition for one game, the North Carolina game you mentioned. They hammered everyone else.

QB play in the big ten was bad this year, Lawrence is far better than Patterson, Lewerke, Coan, or Clifford.

I agree with this, but I don't know if this statement says much since the QB play in the ACC was worse, or equally bad at best. Shea Patterson would be the 2nd best QB in the ACC.

Fields was great with play action and a strong running game, but he wasn't great as a pocket passer
    I would say Justin Fields is a great pocket passer, but hesitant decision maker. Maybe we're saying the same thing. When he throws the ball, he is accurate and most of the time it is the right read. That's why he has a 40/1 TD to INT ratio and 67.5% completion rate. However, Fields holds on to the ball way too long - he's taken 27 sacks, 10 of which came from the two games against Wisconsin.

All this being said, Clemson deserves to be the favorite, but I'm personally staying away from betting this one and just going to enjoy the game.

The gap between the number 1 and number 9 recruiting class is minimal and remember Clemson has as much NFL talent starting as anyone in the country, some top recruits don't want to sit at Clemson because they are so loaded.

I don't think Fields is a great pocket passer, ohio state has been able to run very well, but when he's passing on straight drop backs hes not the same, that's why he wasn't a great fit in Georgia's pro style offense.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post

guy had 40 td passes and 1 int
    That shows what trash competition he mostly faced, hes not an NFL qb and he didn't fit in Georgia's pro style offense. Clemson should takeaway play action.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

you kidding me Morino?

Ohio State had the toughest schedule of all the playoff teams

the last 3 games were against teams ranked in the top 10 at some point in the season.

123 Last