VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20385

Vontaze Burfict thinks some games are 'rigged,' says 'refs pick and choose'

Full Title: Vontaze Burfict thinks some games are 'rigged,' says 'refs pick and choose' when to throw penalty flags

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/v...penalty-flags/

It's been nearly eight weeks since Vontaze Burfict played in his last NFL game of 2019. The Raiders linebacker has been out since the end of Week 4, when he was given a season-long suspension for a helmet-to-helmet hit that he placed on Colts tight end Jack Doyle.

Although Burfict has been laying low for most of his suspension, the linebacker did come out of the woodwork recently to do an interview with The Athletic, and let's just say, it seems he had some bottled up emotions that he wanted to get off his chest, and most of those emotions had to do with the NFL and some key league executives.

For one, Burfict made a shocking accusation that probably isn't going to go over too well in the league office: The Raiders linebacker said he believes that some NFL games are rigged. According to Burfict, the league is able to pull it off because the officials can control the outcome of any game. Burfict's opinion on the subject came up when he was asked if he had been watching any football during his suspension.

"I honestly think some of the games are rigged," Burfict said. "The refs pick and choose when they want to throw their flags. There are flags on every play. The refs determine the outcomes of games, so I just chose not to watch it for the most part."

Basically, Burfict is calling into question the integrity of the game, which won't make Roger Goodell happy. With gambling now legal in multiple states, the NFL commissioner had been emphasizing the integrity of the game recently, and how important it is for fans to trust that there aren't any "outside influences" on the outcomes of NFL games.

"You don't want to do anything that's going to impact negatively on the integrity of our game," Goodell said in January 2018. "You want to be certain that there are no outside influences on our game, and that fans don't even have any issue with that; they understand, whether it's a perception or not, that there is no influence on our game. And that's something we stand firmly behind on the integrity of our game."

For the NFL, it's not an ideal time for Burfict to make that accusation due to how bad the officiating has been this season.

Also, Burfict isn't the only one who seems to think that refs might be throwing flags that don't need to be thrown. After the 49ers' Week 11 win over the Cardinals, Richard Sherman said he felt that he was being unfairly targeted by officials, which isn't that abnormal, because most defensive backs probably feel that way. However, Sherman's reasoning was definitely abnormal: The 49ers cornerback insinuated that refs were flagging him as payback for the fact that he's a member of the NFLPA's executive committee.

As for Burfict, if it does turn out that Goodell isn't thrilled with his comments, the linebacker probably won't care. Burfict didn't mince words when he was asked about the commissioner, who he met with in October when he appealed his suspension.

"I met Roger Goodell in New York and he was a total b----," Burfict said. "He was a b----. He didn't let anybody speak, he rushed us in and out of the meeting. The meeting was b-------. He already had the suspension in his hand."

Players will almost never come out and question the NFL the way Burfict did during his interview, so it will be interesting to see if the league responds to his comments.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Coming from dirtiest player in league, dumb Mfer wonders why he gets “picked on”.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

He is 100% correct here. It’s been going on since the beginning of time. People that don’t understand this need to have their room walls padded like Big Bear

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

The rigged argument died when the league brought in automatic review.

NBA another matter.....

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

He's probably right

The refs didn't make him such a dirty player though

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post

NBA another matter.....
    there is no automatic review for any penalty....the only penalty you can review is PI and it’s not automatic.

Holding is the best and easiest call to make to bury a play

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

NBA another matter.....
    How so?

The main calls that affect games (PI, holding) could be called every play and haven't been getting overturned on replay when they r challenged. That's a lot of power for the ref to have, choosing when to call something that could be called any play.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    He is 100% correct here. It’s been going on since the beginning of time. People that don’t understand this need to have their room walls padded like Big Bear
    I didn’t bother reading all that shit cause I don’t really care what that clown says. I think rigged a overstatement but they clearly play favorites on calling certain guys for more flags and protecting certain golden boys way too much.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Willy gets it as well

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    I didn’t bother reading all that shit cause I don’t really care what that clown says. I think rigged a overstatement but they clearly play favorites on calling certain guys for more flags and protecting certain golden boys way too much.
    I wasn’t referring to you as I didn’t read your post...lol

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

been saying that since a teen. see one team get away with same thing another doesnt then its obvious. rigged may not be the right word. the calls that are reviewed and still wrong are so lol

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4178

For the integrity of my future wagers and not wanting to give myself bad karma........I will not make an official statement on this topic.

2daBank

I wasn’t referring to you as I didn’t read your post...lol
    I didn’t think you were pal., just saying I think rigged a overstatement.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

I didn’t think you were pal., just saying I think rigged a overstatement.
    I’m not saying every game but many are. Go back and watch that Seattle/Pittsburgh superbowl. The refs and the NFL were doing everything they could to make sure Jerome Bettis won a superbowl in his hometown..

2daBank

I’m not saying every game but many are. Go back and watch that Seattle/Pittsburgh superbowl. The refs and the NFL were doing everything they could to make sure Jerome Bettis won a superbowl in his hometown..
    I think they play favorites, I think great deal of them are incompetent at best. Don’t think it truly rigged like some of the old days college hoops or even some nba where players or refs were absolutely shaving points for purpose of gambling. Don’t believe for a minute that happens in Nfl, you might be right about agendas with storylines but don’t think it a clear defined thing where ppl discussing it before the game.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Burfict speaking like a man who realizes he is never going to be playing another down for an NFL team.

G Anon Dropout
    G Anon Dropout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7458

That is the game I always think of whenever rigged games are discussed.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

The games are 100% rigged and is why I don't watch or bet the NFL anymore.

After Detroit got fukked out of that MNF game against Green Bay why even bother to watch?

Shit product with too many flags and commercials.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

lol if you are gambling and don't know this then that's probably why you think its "tough" to beat the NFL

if you know this then winning is easy, especially weeks 1... week 2 to a lesser degree

then spot games spread throughout the season based on who needs a win desperately/ who's looking for revenge from previous season/playoff game... etc etc etc

then come the playoffs and it's pretty easy

pats was printing money for me in the playoffs last year... i knew 100% they would win zero chance in hell Brady "loses" 2 SB in back to back years. that's why the Rams got that no call. that's all most NFL teams need is "just 1 more chance" in a close game to turn a loss into a win... because it's penetrating hard as hell to win and "close out" victories all season long... no matter WHO you are playing

so give a good playoff team an extra chance.... they usually take advantage more times than not

i thought i was ****** for 3 seconds last year when Brady threw that pick vs KC... but then... like MAGIC.... FLAG

KC OFF SIDES... new life for Brady

I almost fell out of my chair laughing

then the most important flag of the SB was the holding call on Rams in 4th Q when it was still 3-3 and Rams got a good run and moved the ball into Pats side of field.... instant holding flag to kill their drive and momentum. it worked.

hoping I can work out the angles this year

going big on Den vs Panthers was easy too...every1 knew Peyton was going out with a W to be the first QB to win a SB with 2 teams (Kurt made an appearance with Cardinals but lost)

the games are heavily "influenced" with a simple flag here and there or no call... turning a blind eye to a blatant call

like that PI on Hopkins last Sunday vs Ravens... the refs just ignored it... guess they wanted Ravens to win by 30. Ravens getting preferential treatment becaue Lamar is the "story" this season. like Mahomes was last season. you get the calls till its your turn to lose in the playoffs if you show up to win. lol

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

Quote Originally Posted by G Anon Dropout View Post
    That is the game I always think of whenever rigged games are discussed.
    penetrate Super Bowl 40

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

"Finessed" is the correct word. Since 9/11, the Patriots have been pretty much perennial favorites to win the Super Bowl. Maybe it is a coincidence, but I'm not 100% sure.

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

If I had time to post a link, I'd post story about court case where NFL claims they are merely an entertainment business. They can do what they want.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

NBA another matter.....
    refs in 2019 "after reviewing the play with the most blatant PI committed so far this season that went unflagged, I have determined that there was no egregious PI and the original call of no PI stands"

everyone in the world... "WHAT THE FUKK"

3 plays later same ref flags someone for PI and upon watching the play all you see is him and the WR hand fighting with each other for the entire route...

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24890

We know this already. Refs have a greater influence on outcomes more than any star player, save the quarterbacks. It's just far more subtle and easily glossed over than that highlight reel catch or run that gets replayed ad nauseam.

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16945

Whoever doesn't think any major sport can be rigged is living in a cave. At least the WWF years ago went and admitted they were for entertainment only.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4178

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    lol if you are gambling and don't know this then that's probably why you think its "tough" to beat the NFL

if you know this then winning is easy, especially weeks 1... week 2 to a lesser degree

then spot games spread throughout the season based on who needs a win desperately/ who's looking for revenge from previous season/playoff game... etc etc etc

then come the playoffs and it's pretty easy

pats was printing money for me in the playoffs last year... i knew 100% they would win zero chance in hell Brady "loses" 2 SB in back to back years. that's why the Rams got that no call. that's all most NFL teams need is "just 1 more chance" in a close game to turn a loss into a win... because it's penetrating hard as hell to win and "close out" victories all season long... no matter WHO you are playing

so give a good playoff team an extra chance.... they usually take advantage more times than not

i thought i was ****** for 3 seconds last year when Brady threw that pick vs KC... but then... like MAGIC.... FLAG

KC OFF SIDES... new life for Brady

I almost fell out of my chair laughing

then the most important flag of the SB was the holding call on Rams in 4th Q when it was still 3-3 and Rams got a good run and moved the ball into Pats side of field.... instant holding flag to kill their drive and momentum. it worked.

hoping I can work out the angles this year

going big on Den vs Panthers was easy too...every1 knew Peyton was going out with a W to be the first QB to win a SB with 2 teams (Kurt made an appearance with Cardinals but lost)

the games are heavily "influenced" with a simple flag here and there or no call... turning a blind eye to a blatant call

like that PI on Hopkins last Sunday vs Ravens... the refs just ignored it... guess they wanted Ravens to win by 30. Ravens getting preferential treatment becaue Lamar is the "story" this season. like Mahomes was last season. you get the calls till its your turn to lose in the playoffs if you show up to win. lol
    Whatever happened to that fumble at the end of the game last night? Can't be challenged under 2 minutes so the refs said it couldn't be reviewed because there was no clear recovery? Huh?

That's right. They are certainly appearing to set everyone up for the Ravens to get popped in the mouth in the playoffs. Especially with Lamar always talking about him winning it, etc. The way they beat the Pats few weeks back. Then if they play Pats again in playoffs, etc.

I know many morons that love them too much. Just the fact that even one of these morons I know loves them, is a sure death nail in their coffin come playoff time.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

I can see how football refs can really influence games with pass interference

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

A flag in the NFL on third down impacts a game way more than a couple NBA whistles too many.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Coming from dirtiest player in league, dumb Mfer wonders why he gets “picked on”.
    dude stfu

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

It’s true. How else are we able to wager on point spreads

POTVINSUX
    POTVINSUX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

Nothing new here..Carry on

newton0038
    Update your status
    newton0038's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1935

Refs know "friends that wager" and help them out now and again. On another note WTF is going on in the 4th quarter of Pac 10 games ensuring overs hit. Dont knowif the zebras helped the over position or not.... just sayin

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13317

desperate times call for desperate measures

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Not exactly breaking news to us gamblers.

Our problem is finding out what side they're on

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

One aspect about NFL officiating that's rigged:

Why are all the officials middle-aged and (relatively) out of shape? They aren't as bad as baseball umpires, but still--damn. It's interesting that all the refs are these middle-,dad-bod-having cornballs.

I propose that they make officiating more of a PROFESSION. Get some twenty-somethings, male and female, who are in-shape, knowledgeable about the game of NFL football, not involved in any corrupt activity.

12 Last