stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

On this day twenty years ago (7/18/1999)

David Cone pitched a perfect game at Yankee stadium against the Montreal Expos.
    It was Yogi Berra day at the Big Ball yard in the South Bronx.
    Don Larsen (oh the irony) threw out the first pitch, Berra caught it.

Joe Girradi, Cone's catcher said that Cone was the most enduring and creative pitcher he's ever seen or caught.
    Here's what I remember from that game I was out of school then, down the Jersey shore at the time.
    I remember Jeter going deep, I forgot Rickee Ledee's homer, but I remember Ledee losing the ball in the sun on a routine fly ball and still made the catch out of his ass, I remember Cone making Vlad look stupid all game.
    I also forgot there was a 1/2 hour rain delay that game.

With the YES broadcasters Cone said the Expos had never faced him before said the scouting report was the Expos hated to take a base on balls, loved to swing at most everything so Girradi and Cone pitched on or way from the corners of the plate.

The most important thing Cone said was that in 1999 the home plate umpires were calling strikes a lot wider than they do today. Hmmm I wonder if the MLB suits had a chat with the umpire chiefs and union pre season (just saying)

Here's the box. That Yankee line up was stacked !!!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99907180.shtml

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Cone was great to watch. Would give you 3 angles from the arm, 2 wind ups, and 4 pitches w masterful control.

Not overpowering, but smart.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22668

Interesting, thanxs.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Cone was great to watch. Would give you 3 angles from the arm, 2 wind ups, and 4 pitches w masterful control.

Not overpowering, but smart.
    Cone was/is wicked smart, he leans on the sabermetrics too much though, I use sabermetrics too but velocity on homers and launch angles are too much a homer that goes 460 feet and a homer that goes 380 feet over the fence is still a homer and counts the same no matter how far it travels.

On an unrelated note this is Ken Singleton's last season in the booth, he's retiring and he'll be missed by me, he knows more baseball than most humans, and is never over the top and humble too.