Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Early NHL best bets worth a wager 🏒

Early NHL best bets worth a wager

ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

Nothing triggers hockey gambling more than a nationwide heat wave. Caesars posted futures and propositions for the upcoming NHL season.

Below are the top plays from ESPN Sports Betting Analyst Doug Kezirian and Senior NHL Writer Greg Wyshynski.

Winnipeg Jets UNDER 96.5 points (-110)

Kezirian: This team ended last season as poorly as a playoff team can with a weak second half and an upset first-round exit. Winnipeg also lost key figures (Jacob Trouba, Kevin Hayes, Tyler Myers) this offseason and now returns to what's considered the best division in hockey. Good luck flirting with 100 points.

Arizona Coyotes make the playoffs (-115)

Wyshynski: There are very view bubble teams on the board that provide actual value on the "make the playoffs side," depending on how you feel about the Philadelphia Flyers (+125) and New York Islanders (-110). I feel good about the Coyotes finally making the leap back into the postseason for the first time since 2012. They made a 16-point improvement in the standings last season despite an anemic offense (2.3 expected goals per 60 minutes at even strength, 24th in the league). Obviously the addition of star winger Phil Kessel will bolster that, and his reunion with former Penguins assistant Rick Tocchet could pay real dividends. If they're injury free -- the Coyotes only had seven players with more than 75 games played last season -- and if they get the same goaltending from a healthy Antti Raanta and Darcy Kuemper, they could sneak up to third in the Pacific or, more likely, the wild card in a weak division.

Buffalo Sabres UNDER 82.5 points (-110)

Buffalo is still rebuilding in an Eastern Conference that should be much better. Hard to envision an improvement of 7 points from last year's 76-point campaign. When Jack Eichel missed time, Buffalo's offensive limitations were on full display. Simply put, this team just lacks scoring depth. It could trade defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen to alleviate some of those issues, but there's only so much you can do. All in all, this team just doesn't have the horses and 83 points sure seems like a reach.

New Jersey Devils OVER 89.5 points (-110)

Wyshynski: Let me put it starkly: If the Devils -- after an offseason in which they added P.K. Subban, Nikita Gusev, Wayne Simmonds and first overall pick Jack Hughes and get back a healthy Taylor Hall -- fail to break 90 points, it'll be the biggest disappointment New Jersey has witnessed since Bon Jovi went country. (And not in the cool "Wanted Dead or Alive" way.) The offense should be improved, especially on the power play. Yes, a lot of this is riding on unproven but promising goalie Mackenzie Blackwood and the further reclamation of Cory Schneider's career; but this is a better overall team than the one that hit 97 points for coach John Hynes two years ago.

Kezirian: This is a high total for a team that failed to reach the postseason. However, the lineup has vastly improved. Former MVP Taylor Hall returns after missing 49 games with an injury and New Jersey also added P.K. Subban, Wayne Simmonds, Nikita Gusev and top overall pick Jack Hughes. Goaltending is still shaky, but I am also banking on the Metro Division to regress.

St. Louis Blues OVER 96.5 points (-110)

Wyshynski: The wacky season of the Stanley Cup champions, going from last place in the NHL in January to a locker room champagne shower in June, might have created this sense that they're a flash in the pan of fried ravioli. I don't buy it. First, they've averaged 97.33 points in the standings over the past three seasons, and in two and a half of them, they didn't have Jordan Binnington in net. Second, if you track the Stanley Cup champions for the past 20 seasons, the average number of points in their follow-up campaigns has been 102.5. Yes, the West is better. But the Blues aren't worse.

Colorado Avalanche OVER 96.5 points (-110)

Wyshynski: I'm not sure I like the Avs enough to get them at 3-to-1 to win the Central Division (although that's plausible), but I love them to get around 100 points next season with the smart moves GM Joe Sakic has made up front with center Nazem Kadri and wingers Joonas Donskoi and Andre Burakovsky. This is a team on the cusp of something really special now that it has a little offensive depth to match its underrated defense (10th in expected goals against).

Kezirian: Backing the Avs has become a chic play but there is certainly justification. Colorado came close to reaching the conference finals and is continuing to trend in that direction. They finished the regular season with 90 points but that included a 7-14-3 stretch in December and January. It has a solid young core that added Nazem Kadri, who I believe is one of the most underrated players in hockey. Philipp Grubauer is good enough between the pipes and has a strong home-ice advantage.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18785

Can't wait for winter

sunshineSpecial
    sunshineSpecial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5137

Wouldn't be surprised if Winnipeg ends up a better team this year. They still have a ton of excellent players, and much of what they lost was just trimming the fat.

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

I took a flyer last year on the Jet to win the cup. We all know how that turned out.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

Would love to see more nhl content. Thanks hman.

Just my opinion but I don't like the devil's over at all. Overs I do love from bad teams last year are the Panthers and wings.

Would love to see blues/wings Stanley cup final, (with blues beating Chicago in the wcf)

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24611

How tough is NHL betting?

I get the feeling that it's beatable. It's not a sport that EVERYONE follows. Has to be some information edge.

sunshineSpecial
    sunshineSpecial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5137

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    How tough is NHL betting?

I get the feeling that it's beatable. It's not a sport that EVERYONE follows. Has to be some information edge.
    Big problem as usual is 80%+ of analysis is useless.

"I think this garbage team is going to win because I love MY habs/leafs etc."

"These dark horses might have a chance this year because I needed to write an article."