Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Top Rank Boxing best bets: Fury vs. Schwarz 🥊

Top Rank Boxing best bets: Fury vs. Schwarz

ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

This weekend brings a rare event for ESPN and worldwide viewers, as it's not often that an Englishman, let alone an English heavyweight, tops a big fight bill in Las Vegas. That rarity has come this week, as the man who holds the lineal claim to the heavyweight crown, Tyson Fury, faces a fellow unbeaten fighter from Germany, the untested Tom Schwarz.

Normally a showdown between unbeaten fighters provides viewers with the burning question: Who is going to win? However, it isn't really the case on this occasion. Although both fighters are unbeaten, that is where the similarity ends.

Let's take a look at where the betting value lies in this fight.

Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs) has already signed for a rematch with "Bronze Bomber" Deontay Wilder for the WBC title. The first fight ended with the only blemish on Fury's résumé, a split draw in December in Los Angeles. Many observers, myself included, thought Fury had done enough to win the decision, even if he did receive a slightly long count when after being knocked down by a booming right hand from Wilder. Fury was also down in the ninth round, and though he has visited the boards five times in his career, he has shown remarkable resilience in not only getting back up but also getting back to boxing as if the knockdown never happened.

The 30-year-old is a giant at 6-foot-9, and his 85-inch reach is the largest in professional boxing. For a man of his size, he has always shown surprising hand speed and nimbleness of foot. Allied to his physical advantages is his style, which admittedly is not the prettiest to watch, but it has proven effective time and again, never more so than when he outsmarted longtime champ Wladimir Klitschko on his home turf. Fury's movement totally befuddled the aging Ukrainian, who seemed totally unable to get any kind of meaningful punch to register on the wily Englishman. So even when an opponent thinks he has Fury beat, he doesn't. One moment he is there, then suddenly he isn't. Fury is cagey, awkward and a nightmare against whom to fight.

The much younger German, at 25, Schwarz (24-0, 16 KOs) could still be considered a baby by heavyweight standards. His record is pretty much what it should be, considering the standard of opposition he has faced. He has worked his way through the various journeymen Eastern Europe has to offer. The most well-known name on his log is recent Derek Chisora opponent, the belligerent enigma Senad Gashi. That fight turned out to be a bad-tempered, foul-filled affair, with Gashi being disqualified for use of the head in the sixth, then wanting to continue the fight after proceedings ended. One thing that fight showed was that Schwarz was very open to a right hand, and though he was landing his best punches on Gashi, notably the left hook, it did not seem to perturb the Kosovan-born fighter. Gashi was stopped in seven by top-20-rated Carlos Takam only six months ago, so that suggests that at the top level, Schwarz could be lacking in power.

However, he is not a small guy, at nearly 6-6 and around 240 pounds. Schwarz has never faced a fighter the size of Fury -- his tallest opponent being 6-7 Christian Lewandowski, who was dispatched in six rounds -- but Lewandowski had been stopped twice before. Schwarz's last outing showed that he hasn't really corrected his defensive flaw, but it wasn't an issue against an overmatched 38-year-old Kristijan Krstacic in a win in the second round.

I think it's fairly safe to say that Fury will be the hardest puncher Schwarz has faced, even though I think Fury has lost a little snap from his punches since a 30-month layoff. The German fighter's openness to a right hand is not good news when facing a man with a height and reach advantage and whose best punch comes from his right hand. Fury does have a habit of clowning around, even more so with fighters he knows he can beat. On this occasion, however, I would expect a fitter and more focused Fury to show why there are levels in boxing and put on a performance that will ensure that the rematch with Wilder will be a huge commercial success.

Fury also has the advantage of previously having fought a long way from home, and Schwarz will feel a long way from home when he finds himself on the end of the Fury jab and the right hand that follows. If Schwarz gets too close, Fury will grab him and lean on him. I am sure Schwarz will try to get in close, and who knows if he will manage to connect with a flush shot or a punch to the temple?

Keep an eye on the weigh-in on Friday. If Fury is between 250 and 255 pounds, it's a sign that he is in great shape. Assuming that is the case, I think the play should be in the total rounds market (over/under 9.5) at -140 for under. I expect the lineal champ to land enough punches and drain Schwarz enough to have the fight over before the ninth commences. Any other result would bring more questions about the rematch with Wilder.

Pick: Under 9.5 rounds (Confidence: 7 on a 1-12 scale due to -145 price)
    Points Awarded:

Duckshit gave Hman 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JIBBBY gave Hman 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Duckshit
    Duckshit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

This is my play.

Fight SHOULD be on ESPN!

THEY are Killing Everything they touch.

UFC, Boxing, ect ect ect

Good luck Hman.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

I'll try that UNDER... GL!!!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Under

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

ESPN stealing plays from duckshit now? Shame on them!

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Tyson Fury -3000

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

The Gypsy King!!! Game time!!

Duckshit
    Duckshit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Free

$$$

UNDER 9.5....lol

This will be over early.

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I have Fury decision...

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

They are milking this shit like college football with all these commercials. Fight already dammit.

Mac4Lyfe

I always suspect shenanigans with Patricia Jarmon reffing a fight.

Mac4Lyfe

Fix your audio ESPN damn.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23996

Busted nose

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Schwarz goes down

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

It's all over. Not even 2 rounds.

Mac4Lyfe

Come on. Why stop the fight?

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I always suspect shenanigans with Patricia Jarmon reffing a fight.
    How you single out a dirty judge in a sport they all dirty?

Mac4Lyfe

Kenny Bayliss you suck.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Easy money with that UNDER fellas!!! Good thread start and call Hman!!!

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    How you single out a dirty judge in a sport they all dirty?
    Theres actually some good judges in Vegas that are usually spot on. Jarmon is in cahoots with the mob and will bet/judge accordingly.

Mac4Lyfe

I'd like to see him fight Ruiz.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

That fight was eerily similar to when Manny beat down Mac a couple years back

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Theres actually some good judges in Vegas that are usually spot on. Jarmon is in cahoots with the mob and will bet/judge accordingly.
    I’ve seen some fights that there was no question who won and there still be one dirty ass pos judge who scored it to the wrong guy. Lol

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Good stoppage. That other dude should not even have been in the same ring.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Terrible fight

Boxing have to be the worst sport

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Terrible fight

What happened to boxing JJ? MMA, lack of interest, lack of talent?

When i was a kid my dad and i watched the Gillette Friday night fights and it was the best.

Is boxing just dead?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Terrible fight

Boxing sucks today, I use to be such a fan before MMA came into existence years ago.. I can't believe the money these boxers still make today either.. WOW!!!

Tyson, Holyfield, Razor Ruddock, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Ward, Gatti, Mancini, etc. Those were the times I was a real boxing fan and enjoyed the sport.. Today I can barely watch it, I really have to load up now to be entertained ..

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14721

JIBBY....
    Lennox Lewis pal

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Tyson Fury says he came into the fight looking to enjoy himself as he knocked out Tom Schwarz in the 2nd round. Fury says he is ready to fight Deontay Wilder and "make him give me that green belt." Teddy Atlas says Fury is "technically the best heavyweight" in the division right now.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Tyson Fury did an Apollo Creed "I live in America" walkout from Rocky IV.

Fought round 1 normal stance, switched to southpaw in round 2 like Rocky Balboa.

I bet Schwarz never expected to see THAT in his boxing career.

magpie878
    magpie878's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7071

Easy fight to make money on. Went big on Fury by KO/TKO/DQ. Should have NEVER hedged with some Schwarz by KO/TKO/DQ though.

Then pissed some of those winnings away on the US Women's World Cup the next day......

oh well