icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Has an NFL team ever won by exactly 5 or 9 points in overtime?

So the possible margins of victory in an NFL game that goes to overtime are:

2, 3, 5, 6, & 9 pts.

3 point wins being the most likely, followed by 6, then 2, then 9 and 5.

In the CFL its possible in overtime for a team to win by 12 or 14 points, I've seen it.

I've never seen an NFL game where a team won by 5 or 9 pts.

Discuss.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

go to bed bro

Fire in da hole
    Fire in da hole's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1120

Quote Originally Posted by shocka1212 View Post
    go to bed bro

icon

I'm going to bed now.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

They kick a fg then game ends on defensive safety (5).

They kick a fg then game ends on defensive td (9).

There was a college game someone won by 13 in ot

icon

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    They kick a fg then game ends on defensive safety (5).
    They kick a fg then game ends on defensive td (9).
    Yeah I already knew this, I was asking if it has actually happened yet in the NFL.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 31724

Neither has happened.

9 is highly unlikely to happen since a player will just down the ball after forcing a turnover and game is over at that point.

It could happen though where the ball is recovered in the end zone.

asiagambler

Game might even be over once there is a turnover. Not sure if they let the play finish or not and give the team a chance to force another turnover.

icon

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    Neither has happened.

9 is highly unlikely to happen since a player will just down the ball after forcing a turnover and game is over at that point.

I believe the likelihood of 9 happening is greater than 5 because safeties occur with less frequency than a pick 6.
    If team A is down by 3 and starting from inside the 10 and a ball is tipped and intercepted etc it could be run in to the endzone by team B especially if its only a couple of yards.

Yes after an INT the player should down the ball but in the excitement of the play they may just try to move it. NFL players make plenty of dumb mistakes.

Thanks for your input.

icon

Quote Originally Posted by icon View Post
    I've never seen an NFL game where a team won by 5 or 9 pts.
    One of these scenarios will happen eventually and it will go down as a huge bad beat for someone who had +6.5 or worse if a favorite wins by 9 and covers. It will also be a huge big break for someone sitting on -6.5 and winning it in overtime.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Has to be... Safety and a field goal.... Right?

asiagambler

One of the all time bad beats ever in college football was when ASU beat USC by 13 in overtime. But rules have since changed where the play is now dead once the team that's down turns it over.

Still, I have to wonder if there's a bizarre play where a team fumbles the ball backwards 75 yards and it's recovered in their own end zone, would that count as a touchdown? I'm reminded of a play in a game between Louisiana Tech and Miss St where LT went backwards and faced a 3rd and 93 or something like that. Wasn't in overtime but a play like that could occur

icon

Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    Has to be... Safety and a field goal.... Right?
    Yes, but field goal first obviously.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Quote Originally Posted by icon View Post
    Yes, but field goal first obviously.
    Yea, didn't read overtime. Not sure with the new rules. Someone has to know with backtesting

icon

One of the all time bad beats ever in college football was when ASU beat USC by 13 in overtime. But rules have since changed where the play is now dead once the team that's down turns it over.

Still, I have to wonder if there's a bizarre play where a team fumbles the ball backwards 75 yards and it's recovered in their own end zone, would that count as a touchdown? I'm reminded of a play in a game between Louisiana Tech and Miss St where LT went backwards and faced a 3rd and 93 or something like that. Wasn't in overtime but a play like that could occur
    If I remember correctly I saw a CFL game in Winnipeg where in O/T Winnipeg scored a TD first and went for two pt convert (same a college football rules). Then on the next play the opposing team threw an INT and the WPG defender ran it back 80+ yards for a pick 6 and WPG won by 14. Yes he could have run out of bounds or gone down and game is over but since there was no opposing player anywhere close to him all he had to do was take a sprint to the endzone so he went for it, good for his stats I guess.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Probably won't even happen

Guys will just go down after a turnover, and a safety super unlikely after a normal kick off.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Neither has happened.

Or team scores FG on opening possession then either sacks QB or tackles other player in end zone on opponent;s first possession.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    Probably won't even happen

Guys will just go down after a turnover, and a safety super unlikely after a normal kick off.
    Super unlikely yes but not impossible of opposing team is, say, inside own 5 after first team kicks FG.

icon

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Super unlikely yes but not impossible of opposing team is, say, inside own 5 after first team kicks FG.
    Yes agreed but it will happen eventually as long as the rules allow and there will be a bunch of gamblers thrilled with the outcome and those on the other side that will claim it as the worst bad beat of their lives.

If it happens during my lifetime I will bump this thread.

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16938

you could win by 1 also.

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Or team scores FG on opening possession then either sacks QB or tackles other player in end zone on opponent;s first possession.
    So how about this scenario:

First team gets a FG. Other team drives the ball into the red zone, throws a pick. For whatever reason, the defender starts running with the ball out of the end zone, then runs backwards on his own back into the end zone where he is now tackled. So that's a safety for the 2nd team and winning margin is 1?

I also remember seeing something that said any time a team scores a safety in overtime, that team automatically won. Would that apply here? The team that scored the safety would have FEWER points but if that rule is applied, they would win the game!

icon

Quote Originally Posted by fried cheese View Post
    you could win by 1 also.
    First team gets a FG. Other team drives the ball into the red zone, throws a pick. For whatever reason, the defender starts running with the ball out of the end zone, then runs backwards on his own back into the end zone where he is now tackled. So that's a safety for the 2nd team and winning margin is 1?
    Yes, I hadn't thought of this scenario and although its the most unlikely it wouldn't hurt anyone with +6.5 the way losing by 9 would. Still would be strange to see a 1 point victory in overtime.

icon

so many ways to lose in the NFL.