Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

How many NBA players were the best offensive and defensive players in the league?

For a period of time.

1. Jordan (for a good 8-9 years, was the best in the world on both sides of the ball)
    2. Hakeem (for the 2 years that Jordan retired, was the best in the world on both sides of the ball)
    3. Bryant (for about 6-7 years, was the undisputed best in the world on both sides of the ball)

I want to say Wilt, but didn't watch him enough, and the competition was suspect. Then we get to the 70/80s and I wanna say Kareem, but there might've been better defensive players. Don't even know if he was the best defender at his position.

Can't think of anyone else.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16160

L.James probably had at a couple years. Any star wing man or pg ran into him in the playoffs and it was a quick death with him defending them at one end and scoring on the other.

Heltah Skeltah
    Heltah Skeltah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 507

Tim Duncan had his time when he was dominant on both sides of the floor

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30424

Maybe can be Kawhi

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    For a period of time.

1. Jordan (for a good 8-9 years, was the best in the world on both sides of the ball)
    2. Hakeem (for the 2 years that Jordan retired, was the best in the world on both sides of the ball)
    3. Bryant (for about 6-7 years, was the undisputed best in the world on both sides of the ball)

I want to say Wilt, but didn't watch him enough, and the competition was suspect. Then we get to the 70/80s and I wanna say Kareem, but there might've been better defensive players. Don't even know if he was the best defender at his position.

Can't think of anyone else.

Add

John Stockton

NBA's All-Time Assists leader AND NBA's All-Time Steals Leader

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by IBetYou View Post
    L.James probably had at a couple years. Any star wing man or pg ran into him in the playoffs and it was a quick death with him defending them at one end and scoring on the other.
    Yeah, was thinking James for about a 1-2 year period, in 2012 mainly, but nothing more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heltah Skeltah View Post
    Tim Duncan had his time when he was dominant on both sides of the floor
    Dominant, yeah for sure. Don't think Duncan was ever even a top 5 offensive player though, let alone the best in the world for a stretch. Always one of the best defenders though and a top 10 offensive player year in and out.
    Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    Maybe can be Kawhi
    Definitely has the talent to do it. But hasn't done it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Add John Stockton

NBA's All-Time Assists leader AND NBA's All-Time Steals Leader
    Lol appreciate that reference, but Stockton played in Jordan's and Hakeem's era brother. Stockton couldn't even get off the bench for team USA. That tells you he was never close to being the best offensive player in the world. Certainly one of the best pgs of all time though, and a case could be made for the best pg of his generation.

Goat Milk

Maybe Shaq deserves consideration? Or David Robinson for one year. Then again that was during the Jordan years. I like how Bryant gets swept under the rug, when nobody could stop him or cross the 3 point line against him during a good 5 year period in his prime.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30424

Could definitely be Giannis if he can develop a jump shot.

I think right now, Harden is unquestionably the best offensive player but his defense is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Heltah Skeltah
    Heltah Skeltah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 507

Goat..Duncan was a top offensive player and could of definitely had more stats on the offensive end if not for the system he was in or the way he played

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Maybe Shaq deserves consideration? Or David Robinson for one year. Then again that was during the Jordan years. I like how Bryant gets swept under the rug, when nobody could stop him or cross the 3 point line against him during a good 5 year period in his prime.
    D rob led league in scoring one year and pretty sure he was high in dpoy voting as well.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

I really don't think Kobe. Not sure he was ever best Def player.

David Robinson is a legit candidate. He did win scoring title one year, when he scored 71 on last day of season. And he was ALWAYS one of the top defensive players in league.

ChuckyTheGoat

I don't think anyone can say Alcindor, b/c he never had reputation of being SUPREMe defender. Good defender b/c of size, but not an enforcer.

Wilt has to get mention. The offensive numbers speak for themselves. Rare athlete.

You want a name that won't get mentioned? Jerry West. Before TV, so gets forgotten about.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Kobe was never the best defender in the league. Could lock down most when he really wanted to but was never the best.

ChuckyTheGoat

Gave this some more thought. I really don't think Olajuwon was ever the BEST offensive player in terms of efficiency. I rule him out.

In such exclusive company, I really think the correct answer is:
    *Wilt Chamberlin
    *Michael Jordan
    *David Robinson, for a year or two.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Gave this some more thought. I really don't think Olajuwon was ever the BEST offensive player in terms of efficiency. I rule him out.

In such exclusive company, I really think the correct answer is:
    *Wilt Chamberlin
    *Michael Jordan
    *David Robinson, for a year or two.
    Hakeem is statistically the greatest playoff performer in history but he did not have the regular seasons Shaq and Robinson did.