Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

'The 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning Are The Best Hockey Team Ever Assembled' 🏒

The 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning are the best hockey team ever assembled

Yahoo Sports
    4/3/19

We knew coming into this season that the Lightning had a chance to be special. Just a dazzling collection of talent at every position and, despite a few clunky contracts, very little to be nervous about.

They lost in the Conference Finals last year, because it happens, and they even missed the playoffs two seasons ago, mainly because of injuries. But there was little doubt that this wouldn’t be one of the best teams in the league. Probably the favorite for the Presidents’ Trophy, if we’re being honest.

Instead, they ended up becoming the best of all time. They won 60 games in an era where they couldn’t spend more than any other team and where the league’s much-talked-about parity means that even great teams usually lose like 40 percent of their games. Much like baseball, where no one ever wins more than 105 games or so, you can usually say NHL teams are going to win 30, lose 30, and have the rest of the season shake out because of what you do with the other 22.

The Lightning aren’t going to come close to losing 30. Last night was their 79th game and, somehow, only their 14th regulation loss. And that’s with this group really not having much to play for over the last month other than, I guess, a shot at history. They’re now the first team since the almighty Detroit Red Wings of 1995-96 — with a galaxy of future Hall of Famers — and the 1976-77 Canadiens as the only teams to ever clear 60 wins.

Those who do not think this is the best team of all time (largely made up of those over 40) will say, “Well, they had the benefit of the shootout and 3-on-3 overtime.” As though the Wings and Habs of earlier eras didn’t enjoy immense advantages that were likely just as impactful on their win-loss totals as Tampa’s 7-3 OT record and 6-1 shootout run.

Those Red Wings teams had the benefit of not playing in a salary-capped league — and also playing some really underfunded clubs, recent expansion teams, etc., a lot more than they do now, since there were five fewer teams. Five clubs that year finished with fewer than 27 wins. The Wings played them a combined 18 times, going 14-2-2 with a plus-36 goal difference. And as to the point above about all those HHOF types on the roster: That didn’t come cheap. They had several of the highest-paid players in the league, including three of the top 13 (Fedorov eighth, Yzerman 12th, Coffey 13th), and one imagines the Little Caesar’s money faucet didn’t shut off after they got done paying Mike Vernon his seventh-highest salary among goalies either.

Not that they should have been shy about spending like this, because if the rules let you do what you want in that way, do what you want. But let’s not pretend things were on anything resembling a level playing field just because games ended in ties sometimes.

Similarly, that 60-win Habs team that knocked down the Presidents’ Trophy and the Stanley Cup (while those 62-win Wings only did the former), had it even easier. Sure, only 80 games in those days, but also only 17 other teams, 10 of which finished below .500. God, this team got to play the Cleveland Barons at a time when the league was expanding rapidly and free agency effectively didn’t exist. They also had the benefit of being able to crib from the Soviet style of play that dominated the world but was often a mystery to teams of the time unless you saw it up close, which the Habs got to because of scheduled exhibitions.

This was an era when dynasties didn’t just exist; they were the norm. Apart from Bobby Orr’s Bruins in 1970 and ’72, every team that won the Cup between 1954 and ’86 won it more than once in a row. This was the opposite of parity, and you could put the best players on one team and control them until they all retired at 32 because they smoked 14 packs a day. So yeah they only lost eight games, but they had right of first refusal on every French Canadian player coming into the league and had hoovered up talent through an unfair system for decades.

As for the Lightning, well, they can still tie Detroit’s record of 62 wins, and at a time when there’s more talent being distributed more evenly than ever throughout the league. There’s more travel than ever. Everyone’s smarter, in better shape, all that stuff. Teams actively play to get to overtime and the shootout just to get the loser point. Even the absolute worst teams in the league aren’t as bad as the worst the Red Wings or Canadiens would have faced. It hasn’t much mattered.

They can’t hit 132, and whether they hit or miss 62 wins, this Lightning team is the best ever assembled. They just gotta win a Cup, I guess.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

The 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens were the best team ever. It's not even close. They didn't lose a game at home after October. Destroyed everyone all year long.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

the 1970-71 boston bruins were the 2nd best behind that montreal team. scored 399 goals 207 ga better win pct than this tampa bay team currently has against this watered down league of too many teams.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1646

Yzerman brought the detroit way to Tampa

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Doesn’t mean shit unless they win the cup

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6446

Don't mush my Bolts Hman

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    The 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens were the best team ever. It's not even close. They didn't lose a game at home after October. Destroyed everyone all year long.
    I don't know. I watched that Canadiens team and I watched this Lightning team. Up to this point in the season, this Lightning team is slightly better. That being said, the postseason is huge and what separates the greats from the non-greats. But this Tampa team is unreal. I've never seen talent like this dominate. But we will see how they do in the playoffs. It's a completely different animal.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

Quote Originally Posted by navyblue81 View Post
    I don't know. I watched that Canadiens team and I watched this Lightning team. Up to this point in the season, this Lightning team is slightly better. That being said, the postseason is huge and what separates the greats from the non-greats. But this Tampa team is unreal. I've never seen talent like this dominate. But we will see how they do in the playoffs. It's a completely different animal.
    it's the regular season that really counts in determining how good the teams are or were. a fluke playoff win or loss doesn't change that. so 43 years between the canadians season and tampa bays and you can determine that tampa bay is slightly better. it is more like your opening sentence "i don't know" because you don't.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Boston is going to beat them today.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Boston is going to beat them today.
    Meaningless game. Doesn't mean jack squat.

Golden fleece
    Golden fleece's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2655

Plus 29 units against the moneyline

has anyone ever seen a better performance than that?

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

how the hell do they even have a hockey team in tampa

what is next? beach volleyball olympic medalists from Antarctica?

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post

Best organization top to bottom of the 4 major sports leagues. Enough said.

Hman

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Best organization top to bottom of the 4 major sports leagues. Enough said.

100% true

That's why they've sold out for years.

Best treated fans in all of sports.

RudyRuetigger

how come rays get NO fans while lightning is packed?

is it the snowbirds down from the north going to games and back home for summer?

Hman

But Rudy can't we use that analogy with any sport?

Why are there football and baseball teams up North?

Those sports should only be played in Sunny warm states.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    But Rudy can't we use that analogy with any sport?

Why are there football and baseball teams up North?

Those sports should only be played in Sunny warm states.
    i picture football in cold more than in southern states

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

how come rays get NO fans while lightning is packed?

is it the snowbirds down from the north going to games and back home for summer?
    Been covered ad nauseam. Location of stadium. Location in relation to population center (A main point of emphasis for the league when assessing locations. A move to Tampa would almost triple the number of people within 30 minutes of stadium). Transplants who won't give up allegiances. Etc. etc. etc.

RudyRuetigger

Been covered ad nauseam. Location of stadium. Location in relation to population center (A main point of emphasis for the league when assessing locations. A move to Tampa would almost triple the number of people within 30 minutes of stadium). Transplants who won't give up allegiances. Etc. etc. etc.
    sorry bro, i dont keep up with tampa bay sports

thanks though

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26811

Amalie arena is in the best part of town within 5 mins you can be anywhere in the hottest part of the city. Walk out of the arena walk a block your are right on the water with bars and restaurants can't be beat. Rays not moving to ybor really messed them up

Hman

i picture football in cold more than in southern states

Hmmmmm

All of the best players come from Southern and/or warmer states.

navyblue81

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    it's the regular season that really counts in determining how good the teams are or were. a fluke playoff win or loss doesn't change that. so 43 years between the canadians season and tampa bays and you can determine that tampa bay is slightly better. it is more like your opening sentence "i don't know" because you don't.
    I've watched the Lightning play. I watched the Canadiens play. I see the Lightning as a better team. Sorry you disagree, but that's the way I see it. Put Montreal vs. Tampa Bay right now, I'll take Tampa Bay in a 7-game series and bet with confidence.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

The playoffs are much more physical than the regular season, that will be the true test.

lakerboy

Meaningless game. Doesn't mean jack squat.
    How long have the lightning had first place wrapped up? Two months? Did any game since then mean anything?

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

They won’t win the cup. Can’t be the best team ever if you don’t win it all. Just ask the warriors

navyblue81

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    They won’t win the cup. Can’t be the best team ever if you don’t win it all. Just ask the warriors
    Boston will be their biggest challenge. They'll steamroll through everyone else. Boston, however, can skate with them. They have the type of team to frustrate Tampa. Playoffs are different, I get it, but their roster is so loaded with talent, unless an injury comes up or Stamkos chokes again, I can't see them tripping up to anyone but Boston.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

How long have the lightning had first place wrapped up? Two months? Did any game since then mean anything?
    Come on LB, quit trolling. You know what I meant. Last game of year with no bearings on the final standings, players sat to avoid injuries, etc. That said, 6-3 Bolts. Depth, depth, depth. Backup goaltenders are 23-6. Thanks for playing.
    Go Bolts!

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by navyblue81 View Post
    Boston will be their biggest challenge. They'll steamroll through everyone else. Boston, however, can skate with them. They have the type of team to frustrate Tampa. Playoffs are different, I get it, but their roster is so loaded with talent, unless an injury comes up or Stamkos chokes again, I can't see them tripping up to anyone but Boston.
    The massive overall assumption based on past history is that Boston will beat the leafs. Which in turn provides great value on Toronto. The leafs will beat Boston this year.

Hman

Teams in their own Eastern conference is all that stands in their way.

When and if they reach the finals they will walk (or skate) all over any team From West.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Maybe, maybe not. Easy to take the field. In his prime Tiger was the best player by far, didn't mean he won every major.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

The massive overall assumption based on past history is that Boston will beat the leafs. Which in turn provides great value on Toronto. The leafs will beat Boston this year.
    I hope so, would be great for Tampa. The leafs like to play fast like the Lightning, they're just not as good at it. Especially defensively.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Hmmmmm

All of the best players come from Southern and/or warmer states.
    when i think of football, i picture chicago/pittsburgh/kansas city/new england/ etc......not miami for the dolphins

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

To beat Tampa you have to consistently be able to score 4 goals or more, I see Washington as the only threat to them in the East.

lakerboy

when i think of football, i picture chicago/pittsburgh/kansas city/new england/ etc......not miami for the dolphins
    Hman likes Alabama

eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    To beat Tampa you have to consistently be able to score 4 goals or more, I see Washington as the only threat to them in the East.
    Caps goalies suck though when compared to TB’s. It’s not even close.

1234 Last