KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

People trip me out. Bryce Harper gets 330 and makes an already loaded team an immediate contender and nearly everybody on here had a negative comment about Bryce and the deal itself. Trout gets significantly more from a team that has NOTHING around him and it's "Good for Mike." That team has no depth and no other stars and they spend that kind of money when they still got Pujols on the books for 2 more years? Can't imagine why they have missed the post season 8 of the last 9 seasons.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Angels actually have a good farm system now. They have a ton of options with finances as well. We will be very competitive again here soon.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I'd take Trout over Harper any day of the week.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Trout may be one of the best in baseball before it's all over

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

I thought this dude was leaving SBR

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

1- no player is worth that money
    2- Trout is 2xs the player AND teammate Harper is
    3- LA is different. Dodgers, Lakers, Hollywood, etc....you gotta have something to sell the entertainment audience

But no, Angels won't win anymore games with him than without him. You could get 3/4 his production by platooning 2 guys at 1/10 the money

Venom72
    Venom72's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 974

I think its retarded to pay any athlete close to half a billion especially in mlb where you pretty much gotta have a complete team or really good pitchers to win

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

thats humans for u

Frank Mills
    Frank Mills's Avatar Become A Pro!

You don't think they was going to give dem Mexican's money and not pay whitey did ya ?

danwinkler
    danwinkler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by KiDBaZkiT View Post
    People trip me out. Bryce Harper gets 330 and makes an already loaded team an immediate contender and nearly everybody on here had a negative comment about Bryce and the deal itself. Trout gets significantly more from a team that has NOTHING around him and it's "Good for Mike." That team has no depth and no other stars and they spend that kind of money when they still got Pujols on the books for 2 more years? Can't imagine why they have missed the post season 8 of the last 9 seasons.
    Angels can bulid around Trout+Ohtani plus the farm. They don't care about this year but can compete as early as next season. By the time Pujols contract expires, their farm guys will be more than ready and they can add another big player or two with the freed up cap with Pujols gone.

If Harper is worth 330 million for 13 years and Machado is worth 10 year 300 million, Trout is getting underpaid in my opinion with his current contract. Trout is the most consistent player and he does everything. Guys like Machado and Harper are definitely good players but no where as consistent or as good as Trout. If i am owner, i would gladly pay trout more than what he is getting paid now than take on a contract like Machado/Harper's.

You guys forget that Trout is not just getting paid for his numbers. He is a well liked player and everyone loves him, especially kids. I think angels will be able to make back the entire contracts worth just from the sale of his Jersey/merchandise in the next 12 years.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    I thought this dude was leaving SBR
    No. Offshore wagering. Learn to read if your gonna follow me around.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Kermit- So would I. That is not what this thread is about though.

Dan- They need more than trout and Ohtani. The farm system, despite it going from being rated dead last to middle of the pack is still absolute shit Ive been to some Bees games.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mills View Post
    You don't think they was going to give dem Mexican's money and not pay whitey did ya ?

Machado is actually going to generate more revenue for his ball club than Trout or Harper individually in my opinion. Ive lived in San Diego and the latino community is strong. There are literally going to be millions that tune in down there for Machado based off his heritage alone.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Angels must draw fans from everywhere? It still blows my mind.

It's like how Jeter was the face of New York.

Angels believe Trout is a once in a lifetime phenom.

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

Lmao underrated if anything

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19551

No one will ever be as over-rated as Derek Jeter.

the1yankee
    the1yankee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3689

Well......if TOP 5 IN MVP VOTING IN EVERY SEASON PLAYED SINCE ROY IN 2012...

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by the1yankee View Post
    Well......if TOP 5 IN MVP VOTING IN EVERY SEASON PLAYED SINCE ROY IN 2012...
    That gets you the biggest contract in pro sports history? Let's remember Mike Trout has never won a god damn thing at the major league level and his team misses the playoffs every year and is usually never even close by June. When was the last time Mike Trout put a team on his back like we have aeen SO MANY major league stars do that were on shitty teams?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: savage1

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Trout 10x better than Harper

Not even in same stratosphere as players

Hitters do not carry teams pitchers do

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Trout 10x better than Harper

Not even in same stratosphere as players
    Hitters do not carry teams pitchers do
    Jjer we all know that. Just seems irresponsible to me that a franchise with sooooooo many needs is going to tie up 20% of payroll on one dude, especially after the Pujols 250 SUNK them as a franchise 8 years ago.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6434

Angels last tv deal (signed in 2011) pays them about 3 BILLION dollars over 20 years. They've got plenty of money, think they'll be okay.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    Angels actually have a good farm system now. They have a ton of options with finances as well. We will be very competitive again here soon.
    Uh no

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Angels must draw fans from everywhere? It still blows my mind.

It's like how Jeter was the face of New York.

Angels believe Trout is a once in a lifetime phenom.
    Correct

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Angels last tv deal (signed in 2011) pays them about 3 BILLION dollars over 20 years. They've got plenty of money, think they'll be okay.
    Bud it's called a salary cap and luxury tax.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

It is because Trout is the best MLB player in the game, a rare 5-tool player, and therefore he deserves to be the highest paid player. As for the contract itself, it is all relative so if the owners are willing to dish out that kind of money, the blame lays entirely on them and it is not the player's fault, of course the players will always seek maximum contract offered, just like anyone would in all walks of life.

And no, Trout is not overrated, he is legit the best player in the game right now.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Luv2Play2

LT Profits

I also posted after Harper got his contract that he was not to blame either for getting as much as he can, anyone would have done same thing. And yes, Harper IS overrated but that is beside my point. If someone offers humongous contract that is undeserved, you can't blame the player.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    It is because Trout is the best MLB player in the game, a rare 5-tool player, and therefore he deserves to be the highest paid player. As for the contract itself, it is all relative so if the owners are willing to dish out that kind of money, the blame lays entirely on them and it is not the player's fault, of course the players will always seek maximum contract offered, just like anyone would in all walks of life.

And no, Trout is not overrated, he is legit the best player in the game right now.
    Yes he is the best 5 tool player in the game. I get that. You need more than one guy in major league baseball. They still have to pay Pujols for 2 years and also still have that Upton contract as well. We literally saw this same franchise overspend and cripple itself 8 years ago and is why they have the best 5 tool player in the game but cannot even make a wild card. That contract was half the size as well and they still have not recovered. People are acting like historically the best 5 tool player in the game is always the highest paid athlete in history.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    I also posted after Harper got his contract that he was not to blame either for getting as much as he can, anyone would have done same thing. And yes, Harper IS overrated but that is beside my point. If someone offers humongous contract that is undeserved, you can't blame the player.
    Well Bryce will be playing in October and Trout will be watching like the rest of us. Nobody is blaming Trout. I just think if u make a guy the highest paid player in any sport based on 6 years of metrics and literally NOTHING else is foolish and the Angels have already proven with Pujols and Upton they give out horrible contracts to the DETRIMENT of the FRANCHISE. They are the Anahiem Trouts for at least 2 years and who knows what he will be then. Prob still the best all around but we do not know that.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hitters do not carry teams in baseball

Game not set up like hoops and nfl

LT Profits

Yes he is the best 5 tool player in the game. I get that. You need more than one guy in major league baseball. They still have to pay Pujols for 2 years and also still have that Upton contract as well. We literally saw this same franchise overspend and cripple itself 8 years ago and is why they have the best 5 tool player in the game but cannot even make a wild card. That contract was half the size as well and they still have not recovered. People are acting like historically the best 5 tool player in the game is always the highest paid athlete in history.
    But the quick and easy answer to the question raised in the thread title is NO.

A Quant
    A Quant's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5019

Trout has finished in the Top 2 for AL MVP in 6 of the last 7 years, and won it twice.

He has a career .307 average, while hitting 240 HRs before his 26th birthday.

In the last 6 years his cumulative WAR is 64.

Yeah, he's really overrated.

Jesus Christ.
    Points Awarded:

ans61201 gave A Quant 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Ask yourself how many players need to be paid and paid fairly well to retain in the MLB,
    that cost is only going to rise with changes demanded by the players union that improves
    flexibility and free agency. Mike Trout right now is costing about .177% of the luxury tax line 197 million
    which means if an MLB team only had 5.6 players per team he would be paid the median.
    An active roster is 25 players with 40 on the roster total to work with. There is going to be very little available
    for the great majority of Angels on the roster. After they take care of pitching and its cost demands, nothing will be left. Sure, they can go over the luxury tax, but they are already 4th-5th highest in the league, with NY/BOS 15-20m higher, there is your real hard cap based on economics. The problem for the Angels is Trout and pitching alone will take up so much that they will need to get very lucky to build a team with this expense that will make the playoffs and perhaps even win pennants and world series.
    The 17.7% Trout gobbles up is more if Angels don't pierce the luxury tax ceiling. Trout was 20.29% of full roster payroll last season. There is a separate calculation to reduce some impact on the luxury tax per contract, but the sites haven't been updated yet so I can't tell you how much lower Trout's hit on the luxury tax will be. It was about 24 million last year .

Regardless, the obvious truth here is that Angels decided keeping Trout for the fan base is more important than fielding a championship contender. They are not going to field championship contenders like this. I predict they will not win a pennant in the 12 years. All the other teams will have much greater flexibility in retaining talent and signing big pitcher rotations and those other 3-4 high quality batters required to beat top level teams in October.

Yes, they overpaid somewhat, but far worse than overpaying for a few years and seeing what happens is the over-commitment of the contract for a totally boneheaded 12 years.
    It was and incredibly stupid and short-sighted move. No GM wants to work with this. Other players will not see LAA as a big contract landing spot for themselves. Big as in 1/3rd of what Trout makes. Ownership must have made the decision for their own reasons, like keeping fans in the seats to see the player they love.
    "WAR" doesn't make the postseason. His stats. I mean real stats not sabermetrics - are not so incredible.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...routmi01.shtml
    Last edited by Snowball; 03-20-19 at 08:24 AM.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

there all over paid , most are just fish cleaners in a real world

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6434

Bud it's called a salary cap and luxury tax.
    Unless I've been in a coma the last 20 years there is no salary cap in baseball. And if a filthy rich owner wants to pay luxury tax that's his call. Economics 101, you're worth what someone is willing to pay you. If the Angels didn't, damn sure somebody else would have. And if you're smart you can build a good pitching staff without breaking the bank. The Rays won 90 games in a division with TWO 100+ game winners, mostly with one legitimate starter and a bunch of "openers". Any other division they probably make the playoffs; Oakland did. Bottom two teams in payroll last year. Now whether the Angels build a winner or not is another call, but they had to resign Trout. Length of the deal is debatable, on that I agree.

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

How does being on a bad team make one overrated? Anyone saying this comment clearly doesn’t understand baseball, how it works, and how one player affects the sport compared to a sport like basketball etc

1234 ... Last