Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Kareem Abdul Jabbar Auctioning Off NBA Rings For Charity

Fans can own a piece of NBA history thanks to Lakers legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The basketball great is auctioning off hundreds of pieces of memorabilia and including four NBA championship rings.

Much of the proceeds will go to his Skyhook Foundation, which brings STEM educational opportunities – science, technology, engineering and math -- to underserved communities.

"When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all," Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his blog.

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future," he added.

The basketball great teamed up with Goldin Auctions to help sell off the memorabilia, some of which has minimum bids set at tens of thousands of dollars.

How many NBA championship rings does Kareem Abdul-Jabbar have? A whopping six -- and four are now up for auction. In addition to those historic rings, Abdul-Jabbar's 1985 All-Star ring, a 1989 used and signed basketball and an MVP trophy are among the highly-coveted items receiving bids well over the prices listed as minimum bids.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: grease lightnin

ridgeway
    ridgeway's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6205

Class act.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

What a guy

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11802

Those are your personal life time achievement awards.. You don't sell that stuff!!! Kareem has always been a bit of a weird strange soul..

Notice it says only a portion of the proceeds go to charity.. He's pocketing alot of the cash and probably needs the money. When players go broke they all sell their rings..

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Respect

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Those are your personal life time achievement awards.. You don't sell that stuff!!! Kareem has always been a bit of a weird strange soul..

Notice it says only a portion of the proceeds go to charity.. He's pocketing alot of the cash and probably needs the money. When players go broke they all sell their rings..
    Jibby when are you going to grow up?

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10251

The GOAT!!!

vinnykal2323
    vinnykal2323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Wow you guys really think he did this out of consideration?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Jibby when are you going to grow up?
    I just state the trends and facts LB.. I'm grown.. Kareem if he gives it to charity then I say good for him.. I like that.

I don't buy into every media read that I come across.. That's called being GROWN UP. Alot of fake news going on today..

https://www.thesportster.com/enterta...ionship-rings/

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Wow, can't believe the Fridge couldn't parlay his success into something more.

Ran into Lester Hayes in a Wal Mart, believe it or not.

He was decked out in Raider gear...lol.

He was cool.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Canseco another classic. I think he sent his twin brother to fight boxing matches for him and also faked that his finger fell off during a poker match.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Canseco another classic. I think he sent his twin brother to fight boxing matches for him and also faked that his finger fell off during a poker match.

I remember those Canseco boxing matches... lol..

Boy needed money when his baseball career was done and gone..

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20397

I'd want to see proof that the money actually goes to helping Americans and not muslim terrorists.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16125

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post

Exactly, it reads "much". If it were most it would probably read "most". "Much" is deliberately ambiguous. Money problems...

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

He claims he doesn't need the money.

Yet only 60% is going towards the cause.

Hmmmm

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15111

He should sell them to Snoop.

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post

Hmmmm

The guy has 5 kids. And a widely reported net worth of 20 mil

Wealthy people have to balance their charitable giving with their leaving a legacy for their heirs.

60% sounds awfully generous to me....

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8999

Hmmmm
    Well if he does need the money, then its very generous of him to donate anything to charity.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    The guy has 5 kids. And a widely reported net worth of 20 mil

Wealthy people have to balance their charitable giving with their leaving a legacy for their heirs.

60% sounds awfully generous to me....
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtymer56 View Post
    Well if he does need the money, then its very generous of him to donate anything to charity.

Agreed

But let me ask you this.

You have millions of dollars in the bank on one hand, and prestigious championship rings on the other.

You want to donate for a good cause.

Why wouldn't you just pull out what would be a petty amount of money from your bank account, instead of parting with rare historical items?

Wouldn't it be much more simplistic to just hand over the money that you supposedly have so much of vs auctioning things off?

It's a good thing he's doing but just doesn't add up to me.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10251

I repeat...The G.O.A.T!!

Class act. Knows exactly what he is doing.
    Compared to the the average SBR poster, Kareem is athletically, financially and intellectually a giant.
    He doesn't need our speculation on his motivation for any personal financial activity.

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future. That's a history that has no price."

Last edited by 19th Hole; 03-04-19 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add quote

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post
    I repeat...The G.O.A.T!!

Class act. Knows exactly what he is doing.
    Compared to the the average SBR poster, Kareem is athletically, financially and intellectually a giant.
    He doesn't need our speculation on his motivation for any personal financial activity.

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future. That's a history that has no price."

this is sbr where posters say that a guy who makes more than 100 mil a fight is broke so go figure

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19557

Admit it Kareem; you're going broke.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    I'd want to see proof that the money actually goes to helping Americans and not muslim terrorists.
    Lol..

bigtymer56

Agreed

But let me ask you this.

You have millions of dollars in the bank on one hand, and prestigious championship rings on the other.

Why wouldn't you just pull out what would be a petty amount of money from your bank account, instead of parting with rare historical items?

Wouldn't it be much more simplistic to just hand over the money that you supposedly have so much of vs auctioning things off?

I mean we just have to take his word that making a difference in the world is more valuable to him than have a room full of memorabilia at this stage of in his life.

Keep in mind he's had this stuff for decades and it's not like he's going to forget what he accomplished now that its gone. And I wouldn't be surprised if he kept a few pieces that he values the most.

bigtymer56

Or maybe his wife and family watched that Marie Kondo show and told him to get rid of his shit and this was the only way he could do it without looking like a bitch.

grease lightnin
    &

Agreed

But let me ask you this.

He said it very simply and quite eloquently:

"When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all," Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his blog.

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future," he added.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    He said it very simply and quite eloquently:

If Kareem really is selling all his stuff to give it to kid charities then that's just awesome!!! I hope it's true!!!!

I was a big fan of Kareem in the movie AIRPLANE

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JIBBBY