bettingman6
    bettingman6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

Are there any betting websites that allow you to bet only on regulation?

This would be very nice if you're betting unders on an over/under.

It would also be nice if you're betting on an underdog to cover a spread. There are occasionally basketball games where a team ends up winning by double digits in overtime. And teams win by 7 points all the time in CFB overtime and 6 points in NFL overtime. There's even been one 13 point overtime game in CFB-USC vs Arizona State 1996. Under the new NFL overtime rules, it's theoretically possible for a team to win by 9 in overtime (if the first team to get the ball gets a FG and the opponent throws a pick six on the next possession), although I've never heard of it happening.

Anyway, even leaving aside the 13 and 9 point win longshots, there's hardly anything worse than betting for a 6.5 point underdog and losing because they lose in OT by 7.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

the problem is real but the resolution is different lines to account for the scenarios you just laid out to offset the possible increased wins

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24609

Bettingman, this is a good post. As big as soccer is world-wide, 90min is the standard grading. So, 3-way lines and no Overtime.

Regulation Only in Football + Basketball would change a lot. If u bet the (small) Dog in these sports, Overtime is just one more chance to lose your bet. Basketball dogs (especially 6+) that lose ATS in OT are disgusting.

And any reference to the 1996 USC/ArizSt game is classic. Yes, I had ArizSt -8. Goes down as a legendary game for the Sun Devils, but even grander in betting circles.

bettingman6
    bettingman6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

I think that overtime shouldn't count for anything except moneyline bets. Over/unders and spreads should only count regulation. In my opinion, a time that loses in overtime has done better than a team that's lost by even 1 point in regulation, and it's pretty ridiculous to actually treat them worse than some teams that have lost in regulation.

It would get a little complicated if the spread is a pickem. If that's the case, I guess you'd count overtime rather than refunding everybody's bets.