beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

The NFL needs to change the OT rule...

To start I need to state I had neither team in the Pats/Chiefs.But you all know if the Chiefs would have won the toss I think they would have scored.Just seems an unfair end to a great game.

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

I think they should consider this for the playoffs, not sure what would be the perfect answer, if you’re taking “player safety” seriously but a team losing without touching it to end their season
    Kinda sucks.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Everyone knew it was over on the coin toss. A 5 minute "game" would be 100 times better with both teams getting 3 timeouts and a 2 minute warning

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

Basically sudden death what Happened

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It’s not easy to score on the first possession though

Brady threw perfect passes under pressure

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

let's just make it first to score 3 tds in overtime wins

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by ans61201 View Post
    I think they should consider this for the playoffs, not sure what would be the perfect answer, if you’re taking “player safety” seriously but a team losing without touching it to end their season
    Kinda sucks.
    Yes regular season is ok.

beefcake
    Update your status

Yeah I should clarify that maybe just give each team a poss regadless of a TD on the first one only in the playoffs.

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Basically sudden death what Happened
    How did Tom do on those 3rd and longs LB? Just asking and basking in my glory.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

I agree. College rules for the playoffs. Especially with all the high powered offenses and offensive rule changes. Both teams should get a crack. When all the marbles are on the line both teams should get a chance.

beefcake
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Everyone knew it was over on the coin toss. A 5 minute "game" would be 100 times better with both teams getting 3 timeouts and a 2 minute warning
    Good idea.

eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

I had patriots and it sucks that for such a big moment, literally it comes down to a coinflip. Everyone knew that 75% of time, winner of coin flip there wins game. I'm fine with the OT rules now for regular season games, but for playoffs it should be each side gets minimum 1 chance. Not right.
    Points Awarded:

beefcake gave eaglesfan371 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Knew the game was over after the coin toss. Just like the Super Bowl against falcons

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51613

According to statistics, it does not seem to favor the team which gets the ball first - over long stretch the odds are about even. After all, the Rams would not have won on that FG in the earlier game had they had the ball first - being second to have the ball paid off for them.

Again, by the numbers it does not really seem to be an edge to get the ball first - just whenever it works out for the first team, when they score TD on first possession, it always brings a wave of complaints of how it favors the first team, again the statistics do not support that though.

Granted having Brady as your QB alters the odds no doubt, but again the rules are made universally for all teams.

Many people also say how college OT rules are much better for reasons like this one. While I prefer college rules myself, in terms of giving teams an edge, I really would guess college rules are much more skewed in that regard. The team which gets the ball second in college OT has a HUGE advantage knowing if they must have a TD or if a FG wins it for them etc. But since everyone views it as "both teams get same # of possessions so it's fair" they are less likely to seem skewed but again according to the odds, I would guess they are. It's similar imo to having position in poker - something which might not seem like an edge when you first examine it but really is huge in the long-term.

bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 287

How do you not double Edelman on at least one of those 3 and 10s in OT though? You literally had two safeties covering no one.

bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post
    According to statistics, it does not seem to favor the team which gets the ball first - over long stretch the odds are about even. After all, the Rams would not have won on that FG in the earlier game had they had the ball first - being second to have the ball paid off for them.

Again, by the numbers it does not really seem to be an edge to get the ball first - just whenever it works out for the first team, when they score TD on first possession, it always brings a wave of complaints of how it favors the first team, again the statistics do not support that though.

Granted having Brady as your QB alters the odds no doubt, but again the rules are made universally for all teams.

Many people also say how college OT rules are much better for reasons like this one. While I prefer college rules myself, in terms of giving teams an edge, I really would guess college rules are much more skewed in that regard. The team which gets the ball second in college OT has a HUGE advantage knowing if they must have a TD or if a FG wins it for them etc. But since everyone views it as "both teams get same # of possessions so it's fair" they are less likely to seem skewed but again according to the odds, I would guess they are. It's similar imo to having position in poker - something which might not seem like an edge when you first examine it but really is huge in the long-term.
    What do the numbers look like though when it's a great QB against a bad defense? Most games that go to OT involve lower scoring games I would imagine with bad offenses/QBs.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11612

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    To start I need to state I had neither team in the Pats/Chiefs.But you all know if the Chiefs would have won the toss I think they would have scored.Just seems an unfair end to a great game.
    It’s about as good as they can do.

Most of us should remember the era when OT was simply sudden death - meaning first team to put points on the board won. Now that really sucked.

eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Can you please provide reference for the record in OT for coin flip winners? I'd be curious to review.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by bonzaii View Post
    What do the numbers look like though when it's a great QB against a bad defense? Most games that go to OT involve lower scoring games I would imagine with bad offenses/QBs.

Yes, no doubt you can't apply overall statistics to every given situation. But ok, the NFL designs the rules for all teams/players, they can't make special rules obviously based on who is playing and such. So even though it will obviously be skewed in the circumstance you mention, I think it's kind of a moot point - as long as over a good sample size, many years/teams/players, the numbers say it's pretty even, that's really what matters.

DJKhalid
    DJKhalid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 116

FOOTBALL THROW CHALLENGE. Whichever team can throw the football farthest gets the ball first.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan371 View Post
    Can you please provide reference for the record in OT for coin flip winners? I'd be curious to review.
    I have not seen it recently, but I know awhile back I saw it and it said 47% wins for team who has ball first, 47% for team who has ball second, and 6% remain tied. Granted some of that data is probably from old OT rules but that's what I remember seeing.

That said, if the statistics clearly showed that the team which got the ball first had a clear advantage, don't you think the NFL would obviously change the rule? It would make no sense for them to inherently give a huge edge to the team which happens to win a coin flip.

DJKhalid
    DJKhalid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 116

Might even draft a GUNSLINGER out of college just for this. STRATEGERY!

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

Quote Originally Posted by bonzaii View Post
    How do you not double Edelman on at least one of those 3 and 10s in OT though? You literally had two safeties covering no one.
    Yup hill got double whole game got to double Edelman he's been pats only receiver that's been consistently money all playoffs

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8987

They converted 3 third and 10s on that drive. No need to change the rules again because the Chiefs defense couldn't get the job done.

Horse Player
    Horse Player's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 416

The team that loses the flip COULD play defense. Then it only takes a FG to win the game.

I think forcing them to score a TD is fair. You should be able to play D on a critical series.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

They should change it so each team gets a possession. They do it if team that wins toss kicks a FG, why not for TD too?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Horse Player View Post
    The team that loses the flip COULD play defense. Then it only takes a FG to win the game.

I think forcing them to score a TD is fair. You should be able to play D on a critical series.
    I still think each team could get a chance though. Right now there is too much emphasis on coin toss. If neither defense can make stops, each offense should get shot at exploiting it.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    I still think each team could get a chance though. Right now there is too much emphasis on coin toss. If neither defense can make stops, each offense should get shot at exploiting it.

Again, if that were the rule it would then really favor the second team as they would know if they have to score a TD to tie the game or whether a FG will win it/tie it for them. Knowing whether they have to go on fourth down or not etc. amongst other things, that would be a big edge for the second team. So again, thinking that would be more "fair", I disagree, in that system without question the second team would win on average way more often I believe.

bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Yeah just play another quarter. Whoever scores the most in that time wins the game.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

exactly. and there is more than one aspect to a football game. defense is part of the team. you can start both teams at their own 40, but much like college there will be tired defenses and continued scoring by both teams. now if you do that and have to go for 2 everytime, that can be a possible resolution.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

yeah i agree as well. its bs that a cointoss pretty much determines the winner. each team should posess it once.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Would destroy totals

newton0038
    Update your status
    newton0038's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1935

Both teams get only get 8 downs to the field, do what u can with them

JaimeMiro
    JaimeMiro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

They should just play an extra quarter

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16000

College has the NFL beat in this one area. They do overtime the right way giving both teams a chance to possess the ball from the 25 yard line. I'm not sure there is a perfect solution but there has to be one better than one team winning because they won the coin toss.

123 Last