Festoon
    Festoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 422

Unit size

Good Morming all and good luck with your plays today. This question is for everyone new to the world of Sports Wagering or the wiley veteran. When you have opened an account or start your plays with an opening bankroll, I will use $1000 as a starting point.
    Having read many threads, I see that most utilize UNITS as a way of measuring one's bet. My question... considering $1000 as an initial start, what percentage would YOU consider a standard UNIT size??

GOOD LUCK

FESTOON

GT21Megatron
    GT21Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

8 inches

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

$10

I'm not a "unit" thinker or "unit" utilizer, but a unit by definition has always been 1%.

/thread

Festoon

Quote Originally Posted by GT21Megatron View Post
    8 inches
    I figured I would see comments like that ...lol...UNIT really is a funny word I guess that's why to me as a poker player I like ANTE.

Festoon

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    $10

I'm not a "unit" thinker or "unit" utilizer, but a unit by definition has always been 1%.

/thread
    Agreed...I think that somewhere between 1-5% and no more...that's a legitimate starting point.

firedawg
    firedawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1066

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

1-2 % per bet

Do not let anyone tell you any different

Most losers here

firedawg
    firedawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1066

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    1-2 % per bet

Most losers here

Nobody wins
    Just go all in
    Get it over with

Best advise there is

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

1-2 % per bet

Most losers here

This

No matter what your starting bankroll, base 1unit on 1%

However, since some ppl like some plays more than others, they will play larger units.

I would make your weakest play 1% (1Unit) and your strongest play 3% (3Units)

It wouldn't even be extreme to rank your plays 1-5 Units.

I wouldn't go any higher than that though.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

when you first started posting and you had a bankroll of a couple grand or something and you were betting 100-200 or whatever that was kind of a dead giveaway. most skilled bettors betting ATS bet around 1% of total BR and expect to win at the 53-55% range long term.

Festoon

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    when you first started posting and you had a bankroll of a couple grand or something and you were betting 100-200 or whatever that was kind of a dead giveaway. most skilled bettors betting ATS bet around 1% of total BR and expect to win at the 53-55% range long term.
    NOTED and thank you for the reply...quickly...actually it was around xmas time when I joined or shortly after...yes my plays were a little extreme at 10% I started with $1000...answer a lot of partying going on I was visiting family and friends and having a few cocktails. All were betting on sports, let's just say I was a little more unhinged playing mostly bowl games. Now that I'm back in the saddle and comforts of home, with peace and quiet, I came home to a different bankroll than when I left. Having said that by sticking to 5%...yes a little more than most...I'm trying to take advantage of my CHIP STACK lets say. Thanks again and good luck

Festoon

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    BTW Dan...I just noticed the line...your good at coin flips...I am too and bet them all the time and have a good success rate...do you have a strategy...serious question?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Your unit size is $0.99 you jerk off

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

when I say I am good at coin flips, I mean I try and get them at +105 instead of -110. Its a sneaky way of my favorite line that drives everyone nuts, you have to beat the line to win

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Festoon

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

That's funny...lol...Kind of like my theory having coached many years of Hockey and Baseball. Flipping for home team was an obvious advantage... Keep this in mind and I hope I don't jinx myself...but..."a little HEAD in the morning and some good old TAIL in the afternoon"..was mine and I cant tell you how many times I'd go 5-6 in a row when we won the title.Today I still use it and won $100 before the big game Monday... TAIL was a winner!!

Festoon

1-2 % per bet

Most losers here
    Totally agree with you and Hman...I guess I'm fortunate enough to be retired, live quite comfortably with no debt, that 5% is a very comfortable range for me. Made all those INSANE mistakes, chasing on Sunday and digging a deeper grave. I have learned from my mistakes over the year. Good Luck Sir!

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by Festoon View Post
    Totally agree with you and Hman...I guess I'm fortunate enough to be retired, live quite comfortably with no debt, that 5% is a very comfortable range for me. Made all those INSANE mistakes, chasing on Sunday and digging a deeper grave. I have learned from my mistakes over the year. Good Luck Sir!

Yes I'm pretty sure JJ would agree that 1-5% based on strength of play is reasonable.

1-4 might be a little better.

Everyone is different though.

GL going forward

7deuceoff$uit
    7deuceoff$uit's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 460

6 bet points.