danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    You don't need to be a "sharp" bettor to make money. All you need is pick winners to make money.

I liked Colts, Seahawks, Chargers and Eagles last week (I even posted it here so don't start hating).

I bet them both on spread and ML on the openers.

Do I care if the line moved or closed against me? No fukking No!

Why? I went 7-1 and picked winners. It doesn't matter if a sharp bettor picked better lines than me but picked losers and went 5-3.

I kicked his ass! So focus on picking the winning team/bet first and don't worry if you didn't get the best line.
    cant beat winning!

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11750

Being a mathematical genius and figuring out a real workable betting system that works makes one sharp.

Still need to be reasonably disciplined and even the sharpies get taken for ride in that department if they lack control. Most of us are guilty of this. Fine line between being compulsive and losing and or detached and winning.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sharp bettor>

A sports investor who is among us but is never seen or heard from........

They have the same mystic abstruse as
    Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster and the 1% of the 1%............

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Math the common theme here

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    A math genius knows the deck of odds is stacked against him.............

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

You will not beat betting into -110 long term almost impossible

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

The way it's used makes me think it means someone who earns money making bets

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11750

MMA props and player props in most major sports you can make money on consistently if you know what you are doing and what to look for.. I can swear by that.. MMA prop play has been absolutely golden for me over the past 10 years. Boxing props can work also. Follow the fighter strengths and trends. You can even hedge both ways to each fighters strengths in one fight if the prop odds are good enough and win money that way also..

I don't wanna hear you can't make money betting sports, that's a load of crap guys. Find your angle and system that works. It's very possible with proper discipline...
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 01-07-19 at 08:33 PM.

vinnykal2323
    vinnykal2323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    MMA props and player props in most major sports you can make money on consistently if you know what you are doing and what to look for.. I can swear by that.. MMA prop play has been absolutely golden for me over the past 10 years. Boxing props can work also. Follow the fighter strengths and trends. You can even hedge both ways to each fighters strengths in one fight if the prop odds are good enough and win money that way also..

I don't wanna here you can't make money betting sports, that's a load of crap guys. Find your angle and system that works. It's very possible with proper discipline...

player props and totals are def where its at. so much easier than betting sides

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    it may seem likes its math but its not just math, lots of math professors behind on their car payments. I think its a little more than that.

veriableodds
    validation not required
    veriableodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1917

keep it simple is key. Square, sharp, smart money lol those are meaning less term. Goal is to bet smart , volume and only guys that wager a few games , or spot bettors is hocus pocus to if you understand the power of basic % numbers, and money management there lies the key.
    A monkey can win 50% throwing darts this theory was actually proven in a study where a monkey threw 10 darts at the stock market page on the wall 5 went up 5 went down. So how does one profit from this? just look to league trends and take the middle ranked teams against middle ranked teams or bottom teams against bottom teams where you get points or plus money, you will win out over the long haul. Look at mlb and hockey you will be hard pressed to find a 13%-17% win rate% if you look at the top 5 teams wins vs bottom 5 teams avg.

From there its a learning curve and making models, seeking value ect ect. A great way to start is looking at every +line for the day in all the sports you invest in normally that means in hoops college or nba 5 point spreads or less , totals everything and seek bias info based on facts not fantasy and you should have no problem keeping head above water, and the more water that is tread the more knowledge comes.

jjgold

Great post guys

Are screen watchers sharp?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Depends on what you are watching on the screen.

Not sure you could be sharp, square, or anything if you don't know the line.

jjgold

Thank You guys

Picking the brains here of some sharps

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Those who bet Clemson ML at >+200

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

jj, get me roids and i'll fukkin show you

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    Those who bet Clemson ML at >+200

reigle9

beats the opening line, it's pretty clearly defined josiah james

danshan11

my question is if there are so many sharp players here and of course must be tons that hide in the bushes, how do the books stay open, most rec bettors I know bet a few hundred bucks a week and nothing near consistently. I just dont get it and if "the forum" can win why cant Pinnacle just do the same thing? if Everyone knew (in theory) that Clemson was way better and would win by 30 why cant Pinnacle know that, why take bets that they know(same as the forum sharps know) will lose more times than less. If I actually knew a team was gonna lose with any sort of certainty I would not take bets on it, would you?

I guess it could be kinda like the wholesaler world, why sell an iphone for 600 bucks when everyone else sells them for 1000. Different businesses do different things but I still have that question though, it just dont add up if so many people easily pick winners!

reigle9

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    cant beat winning!
    oh this dude is the beating the opener champion, he [prob said it 10 times in 3 posts

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
    oh this dude is the beating the opener champion, he [prob said it 10 times in 3 posts
    I dont bet openers, you got me confused with someone else! Winning is winning, you cant argue with an increased balance

danshan11

my question is if there are so many sharp players here and of course must be tons that hide in the bushes, how do the books stay open, most rec bettors I know bet a few hundred bucks a week and nothing near consistently. I just dont get it and if "the forum" can win why cant Pinnacle just do the same thing? if Everyone knew (in theory) that Clemson was way better and would win by 30 why cant Pinnacle know that, why take bets that they know(same as the forum sharps know) will lose more times than less. If I actually knew a team was gonna lose with any sort of certainty I would not take bets on it, would you?

I guess it could be kinda like the wholesaler world, why sell an iphone for 600 bucks when everyone else sells them for 1000. Different businesses do different things but I still have that question though, it just dont add up if so many people easily pick winners!
    and think of how many rec bettors are gonna bet that are not pro players this game

01/09
    6:00p
    MD Baltimore Co
    Hartford

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28967

Good grief

reigle9

I dont bet openers, you got me confused with someone else! Winning is winning, you cant argue with an increased balance
    100% surr i was talking to you, why dont you bet openers? i thought you were all gung ho about beating the line

watch in nascar season, me and mike will bet -120 hth's that end up -265, thats not sharp lol?

jjgold

Regal your sharp as a bowling ball

reigle9

jj i'll spilt you like a 7-10

reigle9

jj i still got guns, what you hthink i sold em all?

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

danshan11

100% surr i was talking to you, why dont you bet openers? i thought you were all gung ho about beating the line

watch in nascar season, me and mike will bet -120 hth's that end up -265, thats not sharp lol?
    I don't bet openers for two reasons really
    1 if you are off modeling and bet an opener you can end up really way off
    2 opening lines tend to have low limits and I only bet on a few books so I really dont have the ability bet all over the place

if you place a bet at -120 and it closes at -265 that could be assumed to be very sharp, of course it would take a huge margin to overcome that, some niche things like Nascar can have some high margins and lack of efficiency, but reality I do not know shit about Nascar or Nascar betting and could not tell you the efficiency or anything else about it for that matter.

reigle9

well you should, cause it's penetrating amazing

i look like i should be a gq model and nascar is my fav thing on earth \*\*\*\*\*\*

danshan11

I went a nascar race and it reminded me of watching traffic on the interstate. I will pass on that and as far as betting, I cant even figure out how to model the big 3 besides a new venture into Nascar but thanks for the invite!
    I would say if you are betting an avg line of -120 and it on avg is closing at -265, I am very sure you love Nascar and probably own 2 teams by now with that kind of line value, maybe more not sure what they are worth but 120 to 265 is richville for sure

reigle9

i can tell you thihnik im talking shit, i only live in reality

follow along

reigle9

i have 20 inch blades on the impala ffs

danshan11

i can tell you thihnik im talking shit, i only live in reality

follow along
    where can someone see nascar past lines? I am curious enough to at least look at some past lines

bettingman6
    bettingman6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

A guy who always posts on SBR after his 4-1 days, and is nowhere to be found after his 1-4 days.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28967

where can someone see nascar past lines? I am curious enough to at least look at some past lines
    I can get every closing # on the Win odds from past few years, but will have to dig in my notebooks to find openers and what I got each of my plays at...and there are wild differences depending on the book for nascar..its just a totally different animal odds wise...and you cant really just play #s either, you have to know the sport and know it very well to be successful...and still not easy! takes a ton of time for me each week to prepare

First 123 Last