theflyingbuffalo
    theflyingbuffalo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2743

None of the quotes from FanDuel make sense, unless they are specifically talking about not being able to make a lot of money bettting Alabama ML in individual games. But they are paying out all futures. All marketing, trying to nudge people to bet the favorite in futures bets? Or this,
    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Part of the strategy would normally to be to get people to do just that.

Because so many will think that way, they will offer Bama at shitty odds and hedge every re-bet off for a guaranteed profit.

I haven't checked but I bet that's the case on FanDuel.
    Would be curious to see if they are actually offering higher vig off-market prices on Bama

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbuffalo View Post
    None of the quotes from FanDuel make sense, unless they are specifically talking about not being able to make a lot of money bettting Alabama ML in individual games. But they are paying out all futures. All marketing, trying to nudge people to bet the favorite in futures bets? Or this,

Would be curious to see if they are actually offering higher vig off-market prices on Bama
    Im curious as well. Slipknot my know.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9237

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbuffalo View Post

If there is enough money in the markets at Betfair, you can probably use their figures and work out the real cost of the promo to them in dollars by calculating how much it would cost them to hedge against a bama win now. Because that's the real cost.

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Think it was a possible 400K loss , well , really advertisement .
    They won't lose in the end , house never loses long term . Remember gambling being legalized recently , there's new gamblers everywhere thinking they can strike it rich , not knowing this is as difficult as it gets . They see this , maybe go bet with FD instead of their current book . So it'll payoff later on , it's good publicity , they also paid the 80k on the live bet bad line .
    So they're just trying to gain a little market shares at the end of the day is all .

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Damn I wish I laid my wager with fan duel 😭

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot26 View Post
    FanDuel says the move could cost it $400,000. Should Alabama not win the national championship, FanDuel will pay out bets on whichever team wins the title.
    With a better than 2/3 chance of winning, it only costs them no more than $133,000 in value. I would guess articles in ESPN and elsewhere could easily be worth more than that in advertising. Plus there will be a lot of people who don't see this and won't cash their tickets early and even if Clemson wins, not every 'Bama ticket will get paid out

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9237

Plus they get an extra round of publicity if Bama happen to lose...

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Aren't they the burgers that took that 750-1 livebet on the Broncos and then when they won offered the guy Knick tickets instead? Guy refused and said he was going to hire an atty and they paid him.

DJK
    Gee Joon/Teen Bo Guaranteed Winner
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7935

Are they asking for their money back?

Or, did the early payouts come with a conditional to pay back if Bama lost?

DJK
    Gee Joon/Teen Bo Guaranteed Winner
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7935

This is right from their website. Since Bama lost SU, it's not going to cost them $400,000 and I'm sure they made more money back than $40,000 that they paid out from Clemson winning SU and ATS.

But, they probably lost more on paying out Clemson's future bets for winning the title.

The payout will initially cost FanDuel a reported $40,000 and could cost the company upwards of $400,000 when taking into account all of the parlays that have Alabama to win the title in them.

First 12