PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why Steelers Front Office Philosophies are bad news for the selfish like Bell and now

possibly Brown and

former Steelers who became selfish or making headline bad news, off the top of my head>

Martavis Bryant/Mike Wallace/Santonio Holmes/Plaxico Burress/Yancey Thigpen/

Steelers Front Office Philosophies

Through the past 20 years the Pittsburgh Steelers under General Managers Tom Donahoe and Kevin Colbert were consistent in how they ran the organization:

Build through the draft, don’t trade away draft picks, don’t reach for draft picks, stick to the draft board, don’t go after expensive free agents including their own, don’t negotiate with a hold out, don’t negotiate with a player in season, don’t re-do contracts for cap purposes, cut a player rather than asking that player to take a pay cut, don’t negotiate with a player until he has one year left, negotiate with the quarterback and head coach with (2) years left on their contracts and retain younger inexpensive players over aging more costly veterans.

Because the Steelers have stuck to these philosophies it has given the Steelers the reputation as one of the best front offices in the league and rightfully so.

Steelers Change In Philosophy, Part 1: The Cowher/Donahoe Years

PAULYPOKER

2000 Brought the Kevin Colbert Era

The turning point in front office philosophy came with the change of general managers from Tom Donahoe to Kevin Colbert in 2000 who arrived from the Detroit Lions front office.

While most Steelers fans had now become accustomed to seeing most of their best players leave after their contracts had expired, Kevin Colbert’s philosophy was to extended the contracts of the Steelers best players the year before the last remaining contract season.

That may have been Donahoe’s philosophy too but Colbert was much better at executing it. Colbert still stuck to the Donahoe philosophy of not making the big free agent signing, adding productive if not spectacular college free agents and continued signing low to mid level serviceable free agents.

But Colbert was keeping the impact players. This plan became known as “the Steeler way” which is what it is now referred to around NFL circles.

PAULYPOKER

Steelers Change In Philosophy, Part 2: The Colbert Tomlin Years

The Steelers Recently Have Scrapped Some Past Philosophies
    A philosophy once followed but no longer is: Not re-doing contracts for cap purposes. The Steelers have recently re-worked many of their stars contracts, some even several times pushing cap money into future years. Eventually it was going to catch up to them and it finally did when Steelers fans saw some of their favorite players released after the 2011 season: James Farrior, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward.

This year the salary cap issues effectively cost them to lose younger talent such as DB Keenan Lewis, WR Mike Wallace and RB Rashard Mendenhall. It almost cost them young rising stars WR Emmanuel Sanders and DT Steve McClendon who were restricted free agents but the Steelers tendered each the lowest offer thus risking the chance another team could come in and make an offer the Steelers could not match.

New England did make an offer to Sanders but inexplicably made it easy for Pittsburgh to match the 1 year offer. Green Bay brought in McClendon for a visit but the Steelers immediately signed McClendon to a 3 year contract before Green Bay made an offer. Had the Steelers not been so strapped salary cap wise, they could have given both Sanders and McClendon the higher tenders which would have assured their return to the Steelers in 2013. As it turned out the low tender gamble cost the the Steelers more money than had they tendered both at the highest level to begin with.

North Dallas Forty

One of the best football movies ever made “North Dallas Forty” delivered a quote that I will never forget. John Matuszak, former NFL bad boy and Oakland Raider DT, played the character of Offensive Tackle O.W. Haddock who after a brutal game in Chicago comes to the aid of his fellow Offensive Tackle Joe Bob Priddy (played by actor Bo Svenson) who had been manhandled all game long by Chicago Defensive End L.C. Weaks. As Coach Johnson (played by Charles Durning) gets all over Priddy, Haddock explodes in an irate profanity laced rant on Coach Johnson and as they argue back and forth with each other Haddock with outraged passion says:“Every time I call it a game, you call it a business. And every time I call it a business, you call it a game.”

If you have never seen the movie and you are a fan of the NFL I highly recommend that you watch it as it gives a great insight about the fine line between the game and the business of football.

North Pittsburgh Forty
    Before the 2012 season when the Steelers negotiated with Mike Wallace unsuccessfully, they immediately turned around and re-signed Antonio Brown 2 years before his contract was up. Something they had only done for their 3 Head Coaches in the last 40 years and their quarterbacks. The signing of Brown was interpreted by many fans and media as a “take that” to spite Mike Wallace for not taking their offer. Because of the Brown contract it was a foregone conclusion that Wallace would be gone after the season and the Steelers would not try to sign him. Both assessments turned out to be true.

This year the Steelers negotiated with James Harrison unsuccessfully. When they couldn’t reach an agreement the Steelers slammed the door shut not leaving any wiggle room as many teams would. After getting no offers in free agency just a few weeks later Harrison expressed a desire to return but the Steelers immediately dead bolted and double locked the door ending any possibility of a Harrison return even though they could have gotten Harrison for much less than they were originally offering just (3) weeks earlier.

While sticking with a Steelers philosophy of not overpaying for talent they seemed to create a new philosophy and an uncharacteristic stance which appears taking it personally when they can’t sign a player they negotiate with. The handling of these 2 negotiations is even more confusing when they bring back players who have actually left and signed elsewhere such as WR’s Antwaan Randle El and Plaxico Burress, LB Larry Foote, and lesser talented players like CB Bryant McFadden, CB William Gay, QB Byron Leftwich and TE Matt Spaeth in recent years.

Steelers Change In Philosophy, Part 2: The Colbert Tomlin Years

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Pittsburgh always been good - right up there with Patriots in consistency if not longer - IMO they should rebuild now - Big Ben - AB-bell
    Ship them out - keep
    The O-line - go draft crazy on defense and of course look for a QB ( hired Lincoln Riley )

PAULYPOKER

Source: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change ...

Jan 16, 2018 - But the last appearance in the NFL title game came seven years ago; there's ... Now that Art II is running the team, Art II can make the call on whether to change coaches. .... Tomlin is not a great coach but the Steelers team building philosophy is .... The game management part is easy to see but probably isn't as important as ...

Keith Butler's Defense is Terrifyingly Predictable. : steelers ...

13 hours ago - Tomlin said Antonio Brown was not at Steelers headquarters Monday but the ... [–]wonderfulwilliam 1 point2 points3 points 1 hour ago (0 children). Oof .... Defense had a lot of communication issues last year, especially after they lost Shazier. .... Most HCs have a part in offensive plays.. most defensive coaches have a part of ...

[Jones] So the good news for Mike Tomlin in this extensive ...
    Sep 18, 2018

Sources: Antonio Brown didn't show up for work Monday : steelers
    Sep 18, 2018

Should mike Tomlin be on the hot seat? : nfl
    Sep 16, 2018

Post Game Thread: The Kansas City Chiefs defeated The Pittsburgh ...
    Sep 16, 2018

More results from www.reddit.com

PAULYPOKER

PAULYPOKER

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The head coach ruined that team

PAULYPOKER

NFL,,:"If you invest in big money All About Me Players"......

If you invest in big money All About Me Players, your
    team is or becomes mediocre to shit...........

2018 NFL Salaries: Jimmy Garoppolo And The Top Salary Cap Hits For Quarterbacks

• Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $37 Million.
    • Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $26.5 Million.
    • Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $25.0 Million.

2018 NFL Salaries: Mike Evans And The Top Salary Cap Hits For Wide Recievers

• Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $18.26 Million.
    • Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $16.85 Million.
    • Jarvis Landry, Cleveland Browns.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $15.5 Million.
    • DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $14 Million.

2018 NFL Salaries: Le'Veon Bell And The Top Salary Cap Hits For Running Backs

• Le'Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $14.54 Million.
    • Jerick McKinnon, San Francisco 49ers.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $10.5 Million.
    • LeSean McCoy, Buffalo Bills.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $8.95 Million.
    • Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys.
    • 2018 Cap Hit: $6.8 Million.

Now you should see why the Steelers will turn to shit........

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

I'd rather spend $30mm on a qb and $15mm on 3 great coaches who can put players in position to excel.

There is not a $15mm difference between Mike Evans and dozens of 2nd or 3rd year wideouts. Theres a significant difference in in qb play and coaching thou....

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11101

So Pauly - you're basically saying what everyone already knows. Pittsburgh believes in underpaying their players. You should feel real proud. Model franchise indeed. I'm all for not paying high for average players but the Steelers have a history of not paying star players. It's work well for the franchise, so who am I to judge.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/21st-and-p...g-star-players

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    I'd rather spend $30mm on a qb and $15mm on 3 great coaches who can put players in position to excel.
    There is not a $15mm difference between Mike Evans and dozens of 2nd or 3rd year wideouts. Theres a significant difference in in qb play and coaching thou....
    Most franchise QBs are locked up in the league, they are not available, so you can't go out and spend money on a Big Ben. He's always been a Steeler.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Would you rather spend $30M on Big Ben at this stage of his career vs $15M on Antonio Brown or Bell? I usually side with the QB but Ben is not getting any younger. I'd rather save that money for another QB. Ben and his stupid turnovers cost them the Browns game and he missed a lot of open guys in the Chiefs game. He overthrew AB 6 times. Now, he's not responsible for that loss. The defense was/is garbage but you never know what you're going to get out of Ben these days.

Mac4Lyfe

Pauly - Your boy Big Ben and the Steelers are in fukking free fall.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2018/09/20...ss-accusation/

The Pittsburgh Steelers are shaken by Stormy Daniels’ allegations against Ben Roethlisberger. A source close to the players’ locker room told us how the accusations have caused ‘unrest’ among the team.

Stormy Daniels claims in her upcoming book that after meeting Ben Roethlisberger over a decade ago, the athlete tried to kiss her in an encounter that left her “terrified.” A source close to the Steelers’ locker room told us EXCLUSIVELY how the team is reacting to these new accusations against Roethlisberger. “The Pittsburgh Steelers locker room is a mess,” our source said. “Whether it’s the issues with Le’Veon Bell and Antonio Brown or the fact they are not playing well, adding these new claims on Ben Roethlisberger from Stormy Daniels is just the icing on the cake for bad news.”

Mac4Lyfe

even crazier. Big Ben was hanging with Trump.

Stormy Daniels has claimed that next night after she allegedly had sex with Donald Trump, Trump asked Ben Roethlisberger to walk her up to her room at Lake Tahoe hotel in 2006. However, she claims that after he asked for a goodnight kiss, she refused, but then he pushed lightly on the door. And then after she shut it, he remained outside the door, banging on it for several minutes.

PAULYPOKER

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Most franchise QBs are locked up in the league, they are not available, so you can't go out and spend money on a Big Ben. He's always been a Steeler.
    There's always free agent QBs or ways to get HOF caliber QBs. The Vikings did it for 3 decades straight with McMahon/Moon/Johnson/Cunningham/George/Ferrotte/Favre/McNabb/Cousins.

Mix in 5 pro bowl seasons from Culpepper in the middle and there's always a way to get solid QB play. I'm sure any team could have grabbed Daulton, Bradford, Rosen, Tannenhill, Taylor, Winston, Bortles, etc for nothing and tried to resurrect. Kaepernick still out there.

Think of guys like Bledsoe, Testeverde, Collins, Leftwich, Odonnell in the past.

PAULYPOKER

Lol....O'Donnell was never a good QB let alone great..............

PAULYPOKER

Ben lead the NFL in passing yards last season..

He's worth whatever he wants.........

Just wait til the season starts as he'll have free reign on the field of play...........

No more pressure from brass to cater to Ass hat Brown.........