Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

NFL Doubledowns On Clay Matthews Call

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The NFL doubled down on Clay Matthews' much-debated roughing-the-passer penalty and said Monday that not only was it the correct call, but it will be used on a teaching tape sent to teams.

The Green Bay Packers linebacker was penalized in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 29-29 tie with the Minnesota Vikings for what referee Tony Corrente said was a foul because "he lifted [Kirk Cousins] and drove him into the ground." The penalty wiped out a potential game-clinching interception in the final minutes of regulation.

A league source reiterated Monday that the "technique of grabbing the passer from behind the leg or legs, scooping and pulling in an upward motion, is a foul."

Matthews on Sunday called it "a terrible call" and said, "I don't know what else to do." He was not privy to Corrente's explanation at the time of his postgame comments.

"The worst part is, we'll probably send it in, and you know what they're going to say?" Matthews said after the game. "They'll find fault on me because they're going to agree with the refs."

Packers linebacker Antonio Morrison said that even the tapes the NFL sends out aren't always clear.

"They're trying to send us out tapes," Morrison said. "The solution is to let us play football. Quarterbacks, they've got on pads, they've got on a helmet, too. I know they make a lot of money, but this is all men in the sport. We can't treat one man like a princess and the other man as if we need to respect that princess. I see it as every dog should be equal. If you've got on pads and a helmet, it's all go. I can understand the hitting in the helmet, I agree with that 100 percent. But this is tough."

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11873

League is shit. Has been for awhile

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

This is the America we live in now, Pussville. Watching the NFL these days is like watching Nascar if they governed their cars to 25 mph so no one would get hurt in a crash.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by sjm5122 View Post
    League is shit. Has been for awhile
    Yep. NFL = No-contact Fball lg.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11854

It's becoming unwatchable. May as well just stick a flag in the QB's pocket and make the defense pull it out gently to get a sack.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Green Bay fans and players can't be mad. The rule is in place because of their quarterback.
    Points Awarded:

ikid2groove415 gave Kermit 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

It's becoming Flag football any day now.... Ready for the XFL to come back!

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

I don’t give two fukks if they make the QB wear a pink dress...as long as we can still bet it
    Points Awarded:

turbobets gave Booya711 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Just protecting there valuable products- people want 2 watch Rodgers play- not garbage backups like Kizer

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The NFL doubled down on Clay Matthews' much-debated roughing-the-passer penalty and said Monday that not only was it the correct call, but it will be used on a teaching tape sent to teams.

The Green Bay Packers linebacker was penalized in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 29-29 tie with the Minnesota Vikings for what referee Tony Corrente said was a foul because "he lifted [Kirk Cousins] and drove him into the ground." The penalty wiped out a potential game-clinching interception in the final minutes of regulation.

A league source reiterated Monday that the "technique of grabbing the passer from behind the leg or legs, scooping and pulling in an upward motion, is a foul."

Matthews on Sunday called it "a terrible call" and said, "I don't know what else to do." He was not privy to Corrente's explanation at the time of his postgame comments.

"The worst part is, we'll probably send it in, and you know what they're going to say?" Matthews said after the game. "They'll find fault on me because they're going to agree with the refs."

Packers linebacker Antonio Morrison said that even the tapes the NFL sends out aren't always clear.

"They're trying to send us out tapes," Morrison said. "The solution is to let us play football. Quarterbacks, they've got on pads, they've got on a helmet, too. I know they make a lot of money, but this is all men in the sport. We can't treat one man like a princess and the other man as if we need to respect that princess. I see it as every dog should be equal. If you've got on pads and a helmet, it's all go. I can understand the hitting in the helmet, I agree with that 100 percent. But this is tough."
    Which was once called literally a text book tackle. that's ridiculous.

Joey Vigs
    Joey Vigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

Cleanest hit on the QB I’ve ever seen. Matthews was on him a split second after the ball was released. He didn’t lift him up. If you watch it real close Cousins was almost off the ground when he got to him. Almost like he was jumping just as a reflex because he knew he was going to get hit. Textbook takedown.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    I don’t give two fukks if they make the QB wear a pink dress...as long as we can still bet it
    best post of the month

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good thread..........

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    Just protecting there valuable products- people want 2 watch Rodgers play- not garbage backups like Kizer
    Very true. Ratings are going to be shitty when there are shitty quarterbacks playing.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Very true. Ratings are going to be shitty when there are shitty quarterbacks playing.
    and when they are all wearing 3 flags instead of tackling

MMXVII
    MMXVII's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2565

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Green Bay fans and players can't be mad. The rule is in place because of their quarterback.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10452

i dont know anything about it or the guy , i just bet numbers and i think the games are on sundays