swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by GzaTheGenius View Post
    Makes sense, RBs are the shortest lived position maybe in any sport. His career could end this year. Man wants to make sure he is taken care of long term
    I'm all for players getting what they can. That said, Bell has career earnings of 16 million, with the 14+ due this year that's over 30 million (6 years total). If that doesn't take care of him long term then that's on him. And sitting out won't help him. One, the Steelers typically don't cave. Two, he'll never recoup the money lost if he stays out most of the season.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    The owners are greedy caack suckers
    There comes a point when everybody in society complains about how much money they make
    A certain amount of complaining is ok but at a certain point we all look at those workers and all say the same thing
    If it is so bad then find something else to do
    Compared to most people in society the NFL players are treated extraordinarily well and compensated more than fair
    The fact that some other sports might have it a little better is just the way it goes
    Suck it up or leave
    Nobody is forcing you to play under such horrible conditions
    Jimbo Fisher kept asking for more money every year. He finally left FSU for TAM. Every man has to make his own decisions and live with them. I'm not the one to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do with their life choices. I make offers to people damn near every day. Some take them, others decline. I don't hold a grudge and I don't get mad when someone decides to go in a different direction. No, is just for now. Things change, people change. We might do business at another time.

Bell may not want to play football anymore. That would be his choice. There is life after football.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    I'm all for players getting what they can. That said, Bell has career earnings of 16 million, with the 14+ due this year that's over 30 million (6 years total). If that doesn't take care of him long term then that's on him. And sitting out won't help him. One, the Steelers typically don't cave. Two, he'll never recoup the money lost if he stays out most of the season.
    Its very unfair to expect someone to live the rest of their life off 30 million plus endorsement money plus NFL retirement after they are vested
    Quite frankly, it's like slavery all over again

He has a right to get as much money as possible and running backs have a very short life span, but it is not like they are offering him 5 million a year

Also, any running back that has been in the league over 5 yrs will have a hard time getting a long term guaranteed contract from anyone

14 million for this year and then go for the gusto would be the smart move

They obviously will not franchise him next year

Is he probably worth more in the insane pay structure in pro sports??
    Yes
    Should he be seeking a longer term and guarantee??
    Yes
    Is he being screwed over for a 1 yr 14 million dollar deal??
    No

STAY STRONG
    STAY STRONG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Yahoo autopick drafted this bum for me.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Let me ask you a question??? How much money would Bell make if he suited up and got injured against the Browns this weekend???

You're counting a lot of his money before they hatch.

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Let me ask you a question??? How much money would Bell make if he suited up and got injured against the Browns this weekend???

I believe a 1 yr franchise tag is guaranteed
    He would make the whole 14 million
    I understand it is more about long term security for him and not so much the money

Once again, by NFL standards he is probably worth more
    But running backs have always had a hard time getting long term guaranteed money
    It is a business and the owners are greedy
    Everyone knows that going into it
    The reality of the situation is that workers get screwed over every day far worse in this country
    Every job has occupational hazards
    I understand his position but have no sympathy for him
    We should all have such problems

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Let me answer your question!!! If Bell got injured against the Browns this weekend he would make $14.54 million, as that's the number under the franchise tag for this year and it's guaranteed. Could it affect his future earnings as a free agent next year? Sure. Personally I'm not a fan of the franchise tag, there's better ways to keep your own players and pay them fairly. But that's on the players, as stated before their union is lousy compared to other sports. Bell has every right to hold out, I just think he's banging his ahead against the wall considering who he's against. Of the 32 franchises in the league, the Steelers and the Patriots are the least likely to cave. But I could be wrong. We'll see.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Mac, you don't think that the linemen who have to block a few extra seconds so Bell can tap-dance around behind them have not contributed to Bell's success? I think the offensive line has every right to be pissed off.

Mac4Lyfe

I believe a 1 yr franchise tag is guaranteed
    He would make the whole 14 million
    I understand it is more about long term security for him and not so much the money
    Yes, his salary would be fully guaranteed for that year but you answered the $64,000 question. How much is he really worth long term? He plays this year and gets hurt or performs poorly, he will only make that $14 million period. He would have zero future earnings. Do you believe he's worth more than $14 million? Then wouldn't it make sense for him to have a contract pay him WHAT HE'S ACTUALLY WORTH LONG TERM, not just the next few months? You don't see how he is taking a huge chance by playing without a long term deal? All franchise tags do this which is why NO PLAYER in the league wants to be franchised. It's a horrible rule that only benefits the owners. The ONLY recourse by the player is to sit. They have zero options.

maggiethebestdog

Yes, his salary would be fully guaranteed for that year but you answered the $64,000 question. How much is he really worth long term? He plays this year and gets hurt or performs poorly, he will only make that $14 million period. He would have zero future earnings. Do you believe he's worth more than $14 million? Then wouldn't it make sense for him to have a contract pay him WHAT HE'S ACTUALLY WORTH LONG TERM, not just the next few months? You don't see how he is taking a huge chance by playing without a long term deal? All franchise tags do this which is why NO PLAYER in the league wants to be franchised. It's a horrible rule that only benefits the owners. The ONLY recourse by the player is to sit. They have zero options.
    His options are to sit out and seek what he feels he needs, take a chance and play 1 yr for 14 million or seek out another occupation that treats him more fairly

Not exactly Sophie's choice

Telling me the owners are greedy and take advantage of their employees sometimes is like telling me the sky is blue

Life isn't always fair

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Seems like 1/2 the Steelers team is tired of bell antics- He’s a goner !!!

ikid2groove415

His options are to sit out and seek what he feels he needs, take a chance and play 1 yr for 14 million or seek out another occupation that treats him more fairly

Telling me the owners are greedy and take advantage of their employees sometimes is like telling me the sky is blue

Life isn't always fair
    Lolololol talking about fair? Would bell even make 500k a year? If he didn’t play football? Fck no !!!
    Owners did nothing wrong by tagging him again- it’s what the players association agree 2 in the collective bargaining deal- case closed !! Once again- takes a idiot 2 walk away from 14 million thats he’s never going see again- and you think other teams would want this kinda cancer on there teams?

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Mac, you don't think that the linemen who have to block a few extra seconds so Bell can tap-dance around behind them have not contributed to Bell's success? I think the offensive line has every right to be pissed off.
    I think most players in the NFL are happy to have a job but some of them are underpaid for the amount of money the league brings in. I think the revenue sharing is the worst of all the leagues. They are entertainers. There's no question. They are there to entertain the fans by performing on the field. The competition is fierce, the lifespan is short and the long term impact on your health is not good. I think any and all players should go get their money. "Get in, Get on, then Get out with your health".
    There has ALWAYS been an unwritten rule by all NFL players to NEVER discuss another mans contract/$$$. I've never heard other players criticize their teammates around a contract. Never, ever. This is unreal. What a HUGE bitch move on their part. Ramon Foster, Villanueva and Pouncey are way the fukk out of line. Players siding with the owners? Are you fukking kidding me? I would kick their ass if I was Bell. Did the Steelers put them up to this or did they do this on their own? If I'm Bell, I'm giving them a big fukk you and would sit out the year and move the fukk on next year. Those bitch ass linemen are scum.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    Lolololol talking about fair? Would bell even make 500k a year? If he didn’t play football? Fck no !!!
    Owners did nothing wrong by tagging him again- it’s what the players association agree 2 in the collective bargaining deal- case closed !! Once again- takes a idiot 2 walk away from 14 million thats he’s never going see again- and you think other teams would want this kinda cancer on there teams?
    Were you this angry when Drew Brees was going to sit out when he had the franchise tag put on him?

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Bell has too many miles on him to get a huge deal. He's going to forfeit $8.5 mil and skip half the year? How is that going to raise his stock? You can argue all you want that he deserves more long term, but RBs don't last. What happens when he sits 10 games and isn't in game shape when he comes back? Or his O line hates him and let's him get clobbered. He's a complete moron to sit out.

Mac4Lyfe

Life isn't always fair
    and he's exercising his option to sit out. Roll the dice that another team will value him for more than the Steelers. I think he will get a much longer deal, guaranteeing him more money the next few years from another team. The Stoolers can eat a dick. Go get your money.

Life is never fair. But, Why are you okay with the owners to be greedy and take advantage of their employees but when the employee turns the tables, you're triggered? You already said the owners are greedy and it's perfectly okay with you but the players can't be too? C'mon man.

maggiethebestdog

I think most players in the NFL are happy to have a job but some of them are underpaid for the amount of money the league brings in. I think the revenue sharing is the worst of all the leagues. They are entertainers. There's no question. They are there to entertain the fans by performing on the field. The competition is fierce, the lifespan is short and the long term impact on your health is not good. I think any and all players should go get their money. "Get in, Get on, then Get out with your health".
    There has ALWAYS been an unwritten rule by all NFL players to NEVER discuss another mans contract/$$$. I've never heard other players criticize their teammates around a contract. Never, ever. This is unreal. What a HUGE bitch move on their part. Ramon Foster, Villanueva and Pouncey are way the fukk out of line. Players siding with the owners? Are you fukking kidding me? I would kick their ass if I was Bell. Did the Steelers put them up to this or did they do this on their own? If I'm Bell, I'm giving them a big fukk you and would sit out the year and move the fukk on next year. Those bitch ass linemen are scum.
    Maybe the lineman are inspired by the courage and sacrifice shown by Kap and no longer will be silenced even if their opinions rub some people the wrong way
    Lol

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by slambam View Post
    Bell has too many miles on him to get a huge deal. He's going to forfeit $8.5 mil and skip half the year? How is that going to raise his stock? You can argue all you want that he deserves more long term, but RBs don't last. What happens when he sits 10 games and isn't in game shape when he comes back? Or his O line hates him and let's him get clobbered. He's a complete moron to sit out.
    That is comical. He's 26 years old in the prime of his career. If he let's Pittsburgh burn him out again and again, franchising him this year, then next year, then the next, he'll be 28/29 and out of the league. He can easily sit out this year and get a solid 5 year deal, 4 years guaranteed and make MUCH MORE money than what he'll make the next year to 2 years with the Stoolers.

Some of you guys don't even know your own worth. How the hell are you going to tell Bell what he's worth? You're not qualified!

ikid2groove415

Were you this angry when Drew Brees was going to sit out when he had the franchise tag put on him?
    Mac he’s a QB most important position in the NFL- auctually brees took less on his new contract - like I said RB can easily be replace - Steelers still winning games without bell - if brees doesn’t play? Saints win 2-3 games Max !!

Mac4Lyfe

Maybe the lineman are inspired by the courage and sacrifice shown by Kap and no longer will be silenced even if their opinions rub some people the wrong way
    Lol
    Villanueva was the dumb ass that stood in front of the tunnel while the anthem was being played totally clueless on what was going on in the national media. Something tells me he's too dumb to know how to rub people the wrong way. His dumb ass is towing the company line until he's thrown into the waste heap.

I'm actually joking. I met Villanueva at a business event in Pittsburgh a few months ago. He seems to be a nice guy and has his head on straight but he's totally fukked up weighing in on this. You don't NEVER, EVER discuss another guys contract. Not in any sport or even in business. Airing your dirty laundry to the media is a big bitch move.

maggiethebestdog

and he's exercising his option to sit out. Roll the dice that another team will value him for more than the Steelers. I think he will get a much longer deal, guaranteeing him more money the next few years from another team. The Stoolers can eat a dick. Go get your money.

Life is never fair. But, Why are you okay with the owners to be greedy and take advantage of their employees but when the employee turns the tables, you're triggered? You already said the owners are greedy and it's perfectly okay with you but the players can't be too? C'mon man.
    In the grand scheme of workers who get mistreated Bell wouldn't make the list
    The Waltons are worth 100 billion dollars and the US taxpayer still subsidizes most of their workers and they hardly pay any property tax
    The list goes on and on

Nobody is forced to do something they don't want to do
    If you were friends with a stock person from Wal-Mart and every time you talked to them and all they did was complain about how greedy their boss is and how they get taken advantage of, I am sure you would agree with them

But after a certain amount of time you would tell them to look elsewhere for employment or shut the fukk up and make the best of it

It doesn't mean their complaints aren't valid or that you are siding with Walmart, it just means that everyone has problems and everyone has choices to make

Bell has worked very hard to get where he is
    That is not lost on me
    He is still a lucky son of a bitch compared to other people who have greedy employers

ikid2groove415

Villanueva was the dumb ass that stood in front of the tunnel while the anthem was being played totally clueless on what was going on in the national media. Something tells me he's too dumb to know how to rub people the wrong way. His dumb ass is towing the company line until he's thrown into the waste heap.

I'm actually joking. I met Villanueva at a business event in Pittsburgh a few months ago. He seems to be a nice guy and has his head on straight but he's totally fukked up weighing in on this. You don't NEVER, EVER discuss another guys contract. Not in any sport or even in business. Airing your dirty laundry to the media is a big bitch move.
    Mac he wasn’t the only one - Big Ben took a stab also - this have been going on for 2 plus years - players are tired of it - guys on the o-line for the Steelers are also underpaid? Should they also do what bell is doing ? You know the guys that are blocking for bell? They have every right to be piss !!!

Mac4Lyfe

Mac he’s a QB most important position in the NFL- auctually brees took less on his new contract - like I said RB can easily be replace - Steelers still winning games without bell - if brees doesn’t play? Saints win 2-3 games Max !!
    Then why didn't the Steelers franchise Big Ben? Because Ben is not the most important guy on the team. Bell is and should get compensated as such.

The RB position is the one position that should not get franchised IMO. It is too easy for teams to burn out runners and fukk them in the end. You said it yourself. RB's can easily be replaced. BUT franchise RB's like Bell are not so easy to replace, which is why he needs to hold out NOW versus later.

Have you looked up the Stoolers history fukking players over?? Look up Jason Gildon who they franchised in the early 2000's only to be out the league the next year. How about the kicker Jeff Reed? The Stoolers franchised then fukked him too. You guys are either too young or just don't care to understand NFL contracts.

Mac4Lyfe

Mac he wasn’t the only one - Big Ben took a stab also - this have been going on for 2 plus years - players are tired of it - guys on the o-line for the Steelers are also underpaid? Should they also do what bell is doing ? You know the guys that are blocking for bell? They have every right to be piss !!!
    He's been franchised for 2 straight years. What do you expect?

so the Steelers o-line are underpaid? Then shame on them for not doing what Bell is doing. Shame on the Steelers to not pay guys what they're worth. But to put shade on him, talking shit about a teammate trying to handle his business? These guys are fukking pathetic. Holdouts are a part of business in this league. Guys have missed games, even missed entire seasons but to bring up another mans contract is a huge no, no. You DO NOT talk about a guy not in camp because of salary negotiations. How fukking dumb are the Steelers players? Something is very smelly in Pitt. Last year Antonio Brown taping videos secretly, now this? I smell a lot of dissension on this team. I thought they might have an inside shot at the Superbowl. Hell no. I see a shit storm upcoming.

Jarvis Landry just told the Steelers to "Pay the Man"! LOL

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Obviously the NFL and the owners treat the players unfairly and don't pay them enough money

The players should exercise their free will and use their many talents to earn a living in another occupation

Maybe they could go to work for a Nike "contractor" overseas

I heard from a reliable source that those are cushy jobs
    they tried that shit where the prez was an owner. It was called the usfl and went down in flames

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Bell chose to play under the franchise tag repeatedly bc he gets more money that way. He doesn't care about the risk, he only sees the reward.

I just told some friends this week that I think the Rooney's will have some o linemen purposely not block for Bell when he returns and get wrecked for his next deal with another team.

He's gonna get lit up worse than Willie Beamen

ikid2groove415

Great organization don’t get attach 2 players like New England and Pittsburgh - both this teams rarely over paid players - reason they been so good over the years - while other teams are rebuilding consistently with bad contracts that will fck them up down the road !!!

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Mac there is an answer to this. It is called an insurance policy. Just because he isn't smart enough to have one isn't our problem. If you think the line doesn't matter look at todd guerley stats 2 years ago and then last year. I never remember earl campbell, barry sanders or any of the other greats holding out. I hope he is the nick esasky sp of the nfl. You put his ass on cleveland roster he is just another rb. His ass will be in camp real soon if conner has a good game. This week will prove if it was the line or him. I am usually for the players but not in this instance. I could understand if he was dealing with mike brown but c'mon the rooney family is the most player friendly owner in the league.

ikid2groove415

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    Bell chose to play under the franchise tag repeatedly bc he gets more money that way. He doesn't care about the risk, he only sees the reward.

I just told some friends this week that I think the Rooney's will have some o linemen purposely not block for Bell when he returns and get wrecked for his next deal with another team.

He's gonna get lit up worse than Willie Beamen
    Auctually bell doesn’t choose 2 get Tag- that’s the teams decision because they can’t work out a long term deal - Players have no say in the franchise TAG

ikid2groove415

Only back I would break the bank for is zek - Dallas offense suffer when he got Suspended- I know Bell is great but Steelers offense will still put up points without him

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    Mac there is an answer to this. It is called an insurance policy. Just because he isn't smart enough to have one isn't our problem. If you think the line doesn't matter look at todd guerley stats 2 years ago and then last year. I never remember earl campbell, barry sanders or any of the other greats holding out. I hope he is the nick esasky sp of the nfl. You put his ass on cleveland roster he is just another rb. His ass will be in camp real soon if conner has a good game. This week will prove if it was the line or him. I am usually for the players but not in this instance. I could understand if he was dealing with mike brown but c'mon the rooney family is the most player friendly owner in the league.
    Chico I luv you man and I'm glad to see you posting again but I couldn't disagree with you more about the Rooney's.

They are just as cut throat and despicable behind closed doors as Al Davis. The fact that they make an effort to hide behind the facade of being upstanding makes them worse than Al.

For years they preach teamwork and winning etc above all else and make examples by cutting fringe or practice squad players but as soon as a player that can win does something far more egregious than say Rashard Mendenhall they sweep it under the rug.

Ben Rapistberger, swept under the rug. Leveon Bell pulled a Damon Stoudemire and Rasheed Wallace, swept under the rug. Antonio Brown pulls a Ricky Williams tirade, swept under the rug.

Rooneys are the very definition of frauds and hypocrisy

ikid2groove415

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    Chico I luv you man and I'm glad to see you posting again but I couldn't disagree with you more about the Rooney's.

They are just as cut throat and despicable behind closed doors as Al Davis. The fact that they make an effort to hide behind the facade of being upstanding makes them worse than Al.

For years they preach teamwork and winning etc above all else and make examples by cutting fringe or practice squad players but as soon as a player that can win does something far more egregious than say Rashard Mendenhall they sweep it under the rug.

Ben Rapistberger, swept under the rug. Leveon Bell pulled a Damon Stoudemire and Rasheed Wallace, swept under the rug. Antonio Brown pulls a Ricky Williams tirade, swept under the rug.

Rooneys are the very definition of frauds and hypocrisy
    All that is true but it’s a formula for success- how often do you see Pittsburgh rebuild? Almost never / they have slick guys running that organization for decades -

Mac4Lyfe

All that is true but it’s a formula for success- how often do you see Pittsburgh rebuild? Almost never / they have slick guys running that organization for decades -
    So if you are playing for them, you're just going to bend over???

ikid2groove415

So if you are playing for them, you're just going to bend over???
    They have paid Big Ben/pouncey/AB —- RB position isn’t as value like before - there methods have work for decades? Why changed what’s working ?

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3483

This will be Conner's job sooner rather then later.

First 12345 Last