Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

ESPN's 30 for 30 series doc: 'The Two Escobars' (Sports, Politics and Crime)

The Two Escobars (2010)

The Two Escobars reveals the surprising parallels between Colombian soccer team captain Andres Escobar and international drug lord Pablo Escobar. Both had a passion for the sport, achieved great success, and ultimately suffered from violent deaths.

Born into two different Medellin families, Andres was a popular Columbian soccer star, while Pablo was a powerful drug kingpin. Despite being unrelated by profession and blood, their fates were inextricably and fatally intertwined.

Pablo Escobar’s huge drug money had helped Andres Escobar’s national soccer team make an entry into the South American championship. Andres’s team was tipped to win the 1994 World Cup, hosted in Los Angeles. However, in a match against the US soccer team, Andres committed the fatal and unfortunate mistake of scoring an ‘own goal’. Not only did it eliminate the Colombian team from the competition, but it also eventually cost him his life. The Two Escobars captures a fascinating portraiture of Andres, Pablo, and the intersection of sports, politics, and crime.

Enjoy!

Additionnel Source: http://watchdocumentaries.com/the-two-escobars/
    Last edited by Thrilla; 06-21-18 at 07:06 PM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

That’s old I think but good

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

yah seen it , very good, the espn 30 for 30's are great

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24609

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    yah seen it , very good, the espn 30 for 30's are great
    I re-watched it tonite. 30/30 is a great series, so I hesitate calling this one the BEST but it's in the discussion. Compelling TV, for sure.

The intracies were very interesting. One takeaway I had was that PABLO Escobar was not 100% evil, despite many of his inhumane acts. He did charitable work for the community + they LOVED him.

The video stressed that Pablo kept RULES in his underground world. No kidnappings in Pablo's world, and the landscape actually got WORSE after his death.

Have to feel bad for the Colombian team. Once they got to USA land, it got very stressful. Pre-tournament favorites, loss to Romania ramped up the pressure. Death threats b4 the game vs USA. Tragic own-goal vs USA.

Video didn't get into it, but there's another side to the story. What about the American players who played their hearts out...only to see that Andres Escobar perish a few weeks later? How would u like to be John Harkes, who played in the doomsday cross?

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

yeah chucky pablo was sweetheart once u got to know him

lol

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    yeah chucky pablo was sweetheart once u got to know him

lol
    Ha-ha, fair point. Maybe I was swayed by the video. He did purchase homes for 1000s of destitute people, fwiw.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Ha-ha, fair point. Maybe I was swayed by the video. He did purchase homes for 1000s of destitute people, fwiw.
    He also murdered innocent people to get at one filthy politician.

Andres Escobar should have stayed home that night. Colombians are hardheaded, fiery people. Playing poker against them isnt boring

I absolutely love 30 for 30s; this one had so many shots that we hadn't seen in decades. It must have cost a lot to produce.

Pablo Escobar was very good at what he did, which was smuggling and terrorizing those who crossed him. I guess there's something to respect there.

tiffo
    tiffo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

That was a move to have the poor people of Medellin on his side, politicians do it all the time, not to the magnitude of Pablo but it’s a good power move

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

he did not allow kidnappings lol i still say 1000% evil i cant cut him slack for that not sure theres any proof of that still hard 2 believe

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16073

crazy fact is that the murder rate was cut in half in the country after Pablo was killed....

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10957

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the auto goal by Andres Escobar vs the USA.

This 30 for 30 is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, sports or otherwise.

homie1975

It's a friggen masterpiece

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the auto goal by Andres Escobar vs the USA.

This 30 for 30 is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, sports or otherwise.
    Agreed. I just happened to watch this one and the one about Jimmy The Greek within the last week.

I’ve watched them all and really enjoyed almost every one of them.

I think the one I’ve watched the most is Winning Time about Reggie Miller and the Knicks.

Also have watched the one on the 1983 NC State hoops champs many times.

homie1975

The way the directors (the two brothers) weaved the stories of Andres and Pablo with all the highs and the lows, was masterful. The musical compositions were done explicitly for this documentary and are next level stuff.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    he did not allow kidnappings lol i still say 1000% evil i cant cut him slack for that not sure theres any proof of that still hard 2 believe
    You're telling me that "Popeye" was NOT Popeye the Sailor Man from the cartoon?

"Popeye" is available for birthdays + bar mitzvahs. Guy is charming + has a great sense of humor.

homie1975

You're telling me that "Popeye" was NOT Popeye the Sailor Man from the cartoon?

"Popeye" is available for birthdays + bar mitzvahs. Guy is charming + has a great sense of humor.
    Popeye was very articulate in the documentary but he was a very scary right hand man to Pablo. As dangerous as they come. Downright scary individual.

Out walking the streets of Colombia now btw. Free man

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Popeye was very articulate in the documentary but he was a very scary right hand man to Pablo. As dangerous as they come. Downright scary individual.

Out walking the streets of Colombia now btw. Free man
    Yes, very much so. Would be insane to sit down at a bar + look over to see that guy. Guy must have no soul at all.

homie1975

Yes, very much so. Would be insane to sit down at a bar + look over to see that guy. Guy must have no soul at all.
    he matter of factly said in the piece: "I have killed thousands of men, but only a psychopath keeps count".

Unbelievable.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

Very timely post, thanks for sharing. Hey, anyone ever heard of this new movie called "Citizen Kane?" Hearing good things about it.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    Very timely post, thanks for sharing. Hey, anyone ever heard of this new movie called "Citizen Kane?" Hearing good things about it.
    don't be an A-hole to the OP. this was brought up because it is the 25th anniversary of the auto goal by Andres Escobar.

this documentary, released in 2010, is one of the best you will ever see, sports or otherwise.

if you have not seen it, you owe yourself a viewing. about 1 hr and 35 mins long.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11546

Show is old.. Rerun.. All 30 for 30's are great shows..

jjgold

New show on juice I think tonight

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I dunno. Do w say this about guys who kill in war? Men can give themselves lots of justifiable reasons to kill or do other things, only soulless if you don’t have a line imo, killing innocents for no reason other than being a wack job.

Killing for a purpose/profession. Doesn’t necessarily make one soulless imo. Been so long since I’ve seen this I don’t remember tho so can’t say, lol.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    New show on juice I think tonight
    Coach, are you serious??

jjgold

I thought I saw it today scrolling on the news maybe a re run?

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 158

It's a rerun. JJ. Terrible tradgedy for a young soccer player

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I thought I saw it today scrolling on the news maybe a re run?
    probably Made in America the 5 or 6 part series that ran last year or 2017 on ESPN

jjgold

ok not watching then