gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

ok, he's signed by oakland.......... wonder who takes the football injury risk? i assume oakland although it's not a huge number in the grand scheme of things, especially given the % of high picks who don't pan out.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

The Oakland Athletics own Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray‘s baseball rights after selecting him in the first round of the 2018 MLB draft, but they expect him to declare for the NFL draft this weekend, according to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle.

Simply declaring for the NFL draft doesn’t necessarily mean Murray will decide not to play for the Athletics, although one source does tell Slusser that Murray is reportedly leaning towards football. If Murray does opt to play football, he’d be required to pay back the A’s more than $4.5MM. Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter) NFL decision-makers believe Murray is “magic” and predict he’d come off the board on Day 1 or 2 of the draft, so he’d be able to make up that lost money in short order.

Murray and his agent Scott Boras have never officially ruled out the NFL despite persistently denying interest in deviating from an MLB-based plan. The Athletics would retain Murray’s baseball rights, but playing both baseball and football is not an option for Murray, per Slusser. The time commitments afforded to modern day professional sports simply make a dual-sport athlete nearly impossible.

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

Too short for NFL

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

I still think baseball is a much better option long term. The NFL is called Not For Long for a reason. Now, there is a chance that he could be a long term backup Qb in the NFL. Those guys sit on the bench forever. I just don't know if he has all the tools to be a successful starting NFL QB.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I still think baseball is a much better option long term. The NFL is called Not For Long for a reason. Now, there is a chance that he could be a long term backup Qb in the NFL. Those guys sit on the bench forever. I just don't know if he has all the tools to be a successful starting NFL QB.
    Don’t be so sure about that. Kind of a long shot but Kingsbury might have taken the job with an idea Murray would be in draft and an agreement they would take him. Kingsbury has gone on record saying if he were in nfl he would take him with #1 pick. Az could keep both Rosen and him on roster for a season or two without it hurting cap if they don’t want to dump Rosen right away. He would definitely get a nice return from some team looking for a qb. Den, oak, wash, Mia,Cinci, tb, could all make an offer instead of going after Flacco or Foles. Team has a ton of holes and is at least 2 seasons away from being good. If they don’t think Rosen is their qb of future they need to find one or they will be looking for a new coach in 2 seasons. Gm isn’t strong at draft either.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Conversely, the No. 32 overall selection in last year’s NFL draft, Lamar Jackson, signed a four-year, $9,471,648 contract with the Ravens and quickly ascended to the starter’s role in Baltimore. Certainly, there are more than pure financial considerations at play, but assuming he’s a first-round selection in the NFL draft, Murray can look at Jackson’s near-$9.5MM guarantee as a rough baseline for what he’d be promised. (In reality, it’d be slightly higher, as draft bonuses in the NFL increase incrementally each year just as they do in baseball.) As for fans hoping to see this generation’s version of Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders, the report from Slusser and Schulman flatly indicates that there’s “no possibility” of Murray playing both sports.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47652

A's will get the money returned but will not get draft pick compensation if Murray decides on football.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I doubt he’s going to play football but who knows

First 12