Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Steve Spurrier to coach Orlando team in new spring league.

Steve Spurrier to coach Orlando team in new spring league, Alliance of American Football

Steve Spurrier is returning to football. The Alliance of American Football, a new professional spring league set to debut next February, revealed the AAF's first host city will be Orlando, with college football Hall of Famer Spurrier set to coach.

The Alliance's co-founder Charlie Ebersol, former NFL star Hines Ward, who is serving as an executive of player relations, and Spurrier himself joined "CBS This Morning: Saturday" to discuss the new league, which will kick off just one week after next year's Super Bowl.

Who is Steve Spurrier?

The games will be available to stream on a free app, on CBS and CBS Sports Network. Teams in eight different cities will play a 10-game season.

"We brought in the best players and the best coaches to be at the top of the organization. We wanted to give fans not just an opportunity to see great football but to see what would happen if you brought the players and the league together," Ebersol said.

Spurrier, a seven-time SEC champion and Heisman trophy winner, said he was intrigued by the new rules of the game, which include two-and-half hour games and 30 seconds in between plays, and the opportunity to include great players who don't make it into the NFL.

"It's a fine line between who makes a team and who doesn't in the NFL. We don't have a minor league of professional football," Spurrier said. "Those players get a chance to continue playing even if they don't play at the highest level and then maybe someday they play well enough to go to the highest level."

For Ward, it's all about the well-being of the players. "Player safety, that's top priority. I mean, that's something we want to bring to our league."

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Guy is terrible

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

the ole ball coach will pull out his playbook from 1996 and drop 80 on other teams while never showing up at practice

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Guy is terrible

The man was a covering machine ....youre wrong here guy

hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10404

I was just going to post this. You can never have enough football in my opinion. I can hardly wait to bet on it.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Hope they lose every game

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

USFL all over again for Spurrier.

He coached the Tampa Bay Bandits (I was a fan) & they were dominant & entertaining.

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Fun and Gun