dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

I was curious so I looked up what the reactions to this were:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...402-story.html

You're wrong here Minnesota. Especially considering a Twins player stole a base up 6-0

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Maybe because I'm only one that actually knows the game having played beyond HS and College lol.

Defending a bunt, down 7, in the 9th no less, on the grounds of integrity, by a guy who has no speed and swung away for 8 innings. HMMM

Again- justified in a different situation, but the game is not played this way at this level.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Is this April Fools? I can't stand when I see players swinging for the fences when down big late. Just try to get on base any way possible to start a rally. Going for HR is for stat-padders.
    Nothing like a guy telling us we don't understand the game while in same breath talking as if guy should have hit a 8 run home run!! I missed the day they changed the rules and you can hit a 7 run homer!! This baseball 101, if you trailing by multiple runs the most important thing is getting guys on base!!

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Maybe because I'm only one that actually knows the game having played beyond HS and College lol.

Defending a bunt, down 7, in the 9th no less, on the grounds of integrity, by a guy who has no speed and swung away for 8 innings. HMMM

Again- justified in a different situation, but the game is not played this way at this level.
    Lmao. Clearly You don't know jack shit about this sport. Appreciate the laughs tho. Nothing better than the good ol 7 run homer to get your team back in the game!!

2daBank

If twinks understood baseball maybe they wouldn't have failed to score a run with 2 men on and no outs last inning.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

You guys are missing the point.

It's a 7 run deficit in the 9th.

The Twins did the right thing to end the game promptly, by playing the shift per the analytics.

The Oriole player was pitched to and given his fair opportunity to drive a ball over the wall. It's a 7 run game, not a 3 or less run game.

What the player did was JV bullshit. There is a time and place for a bunt vs the shift, and there is a time and place to swing away and drive home a run. The kid- and this forum- are horribly misguided if you think otherwise. In addition to the verbal beatdown he got from his own veterans, MLB assuredly had a conversation with Buck or the brass about that.

Baseball is not about extending meaningless out of reach games for one's own statline....its a team game that is in desperate need to speed up play and reduce injuries. The bunt in this situation was selfish, meaningless and all risk/ no reward and against everything MLB is trending to become.

Guys keep doing stuff like this and before you know it the 10th inning will start w a guy on 2nd to speed up play.
    so now the commissioner got involved

keep dreaming

dlowilly

That mercy run rule in the little leagues is because the kids have to go home and do their homework before they go to bed

This is MLB. No making sure everyone gets to play and no quitting

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Only agree with the twins if they had a no no going, which they didn't.
    I figured he had to have a no-hitter going. Why else would they make such a big deal out of it?

I have no problem with a bunt in that situation.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

If a team shifts.... I'm 100% for laying down a bunt. I don't care what the situation is.

Why are you shifting on defense??? To have an advantage.

To have an advantage on offense... lay a bunt down.

I don't understand the bitching???

TheMoneyShot

Have the defense play straight up....

it would end the bullsH#$

MinnesotaFats

If you honestly are ok w a bunt here then I really hope I don't see any complaints about guys fouling when down 7, last 24 seconds, in ball or teams pulling their goalie down 2 in the final minute NHL or teams calling TO down 2 scores in the final minute w/out the ball.

This is the baseball equivalent of all that dumb shit aforementioned....

There is no place for that crap in the 9th of a 7 run game....but hey, if you like it then by all means be the guy who supports the fouling and the pulling of the goalie and the excessive time outs....because it's all meaningless and chicken shot and against what the game is about. Team totals, not individual stats. Shortening of game, not prolonging, playing to win the first 8 innings, not just the 9th....etc etc

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

If you honestly are ok w a bunt here then I really hope I don't see any complaints about guys fouling when down 7, last 24 seconds, in ball or teams pulling their goalie down 2 in the final minute NHL or teams calling TO down 2 scores in the final minute w/out the ball.

There is no place for that crap in the 9th of a 7 run game....but hey, if you like it then by all means be the guy who supports the fouling and the pulling of the goalie and the excessive time outs....because it's all meaningless and chicken shot and against what the game is about. Team totals, not individual stats. Shortening of game, not prolonging, playing to win the first 8 innings, not just the 9th....etc etc
    Cool, youre a twins fan who doesn't believe it's ethical. I don't think anyone feels that strongly about it. More concerned over the other team crying when it happens. I don't think a team should foul down 7 with 10 seconds left, but the other team doesn't give cry speeches about it post game. Although that example isn't all that comparable, or not a very good one the point still stands. The twins whining about this rubbed more fans of the game the wrong way then a game lasting an extra 10 minutes

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Wrong but nice assumption.

dlowilly

Minnesota you just keep burying yourself bud

I doubt anyone would have a problem with the scenarios you mentioned, and especially in NHL teams make those pulled goalie comebacks way more often than needed to justify doing it

Where did you play, Elizabethton?

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

LMAO you list 2 sports that have a game clock versus a sport without a game clock. Not a reasonable comparison. I've watched teams battle back down 7 or more in the 9th inning, many times. It may not happen often but it happens. Much different scenario than the other 2 sports you listed.

dlowilly

I think the point is if there was no shift the bunt would have been weird, but if they want to shift up 7 then not only is a bunt fair, it needs to be done.

What about the Twins stealing a base up 6-0?

TheMoneyShot

What about a player just practicing LIVE situational baseball? What better way to practice... being up in a game?

I'm all for it.

I think the SHIFT IS A DISGRACE TO BASEBALL.

Don't shift then.

Looking4Winners
    Update your status
    Looking4Winners's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7876

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    Minnesota you just keep burying yourself bud

I doubt anyone would have a problem with the scenarios you mentioned, and especially in NHL teams make those pulled goalie comebacks way more often than needed to justify doing it

Where did you play, Elizabethton?
    LOL I did in late 70's. Also played in Visalia..

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21593

There's no clock in baseball. It's not comparable.

Do you give no weight to the fact that virtually everyone here disagrees with you?

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by Looking4Winners View Post
    LOL I did in late 70's. Also played in Visalia..
    Nice!

What is your opinion on this issue?

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

we covered this last week where were you

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

[QUOTE=MinnesotaFats;276932In addition to the verbal beatdown he got from his own veterans, MLB assuredly had a conversation with Buck or the brass about that.

[/QUOTE]

No chance that MLB said anything; the league encouraging a player not to try? That would be a huge scandal; his teammates maybe but not the league.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7600

Get rid of the shift.

The bunt is a GREAT way to start a rally

Looking4Winners
    Update your status

Nice!

What is your opinion on this issue?
    You play to win. If they give you the bunt you take it. You make them defend the entire field not just the right side. Let's see if the Twins play the shift next time Sisco is up.

Tyler Conway, Bleacher Report: “Baseball has a ton of unwritten rules, but this one appears to be a first. There have been multiple instances of a team being upset with an opposing player for bunting with a no-hitter—a crowning achievement for a pitcher that happens only a few times per season.
    “But while one-hitters are impressive, they're a dime a dozen in comparison. There is a reason pitchers are oftentimes removed from games when they give up a hit when they're working on a no-hitter—the two accomplishments are not seen in nearly the same strata.
    “Sisco was simply doing what he thought was best to get his team back in the game. If the Twins did not want him to bunt, perhaps shifting was a bad managerial call.
    “Plus, Berrios gave up another hit later in the inning, so this is much ado about nothing.”
    Last edited by Looking4Winners; 04-02-18 at 03:23 PM.

dlowilly

You play to win. If they give you the bunt you take it. You make them defend the entire field not just the right side. Let's see if the Twins play the shift next time Sisco is up.

Looking4winners, did you have some Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham types trying to get to know you in Elizabethton? There were some of them around there I'm sure

Looking4Winners
    Update your status

Looking4winners, did you have some Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham types trying to get to know you in Elizabethton? There were some of them around there I'm sure
    Not in Elizabethon but yes out in Visalia.

dlowilly

Not in Elizabethon but yes out in Visalia.

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    There's no clock in baseball. It's not comparable.

Do you give no weight to the fact that virtually everyone here disagrees with you?
    No....I find it profitable and wise to fade the forum.

Played Minot ND- Minot Mallards, Independant Prarie League.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post

LMAO you list 2 sports that have a game clock versus a sport without a game clock. Not a reasonable comparison. I've watched teams battle back down 7 or more in the 9th inning, many times. It may not happen often but it happens. Much different scenario than the other 2 sports you listed.
    I can't freaking believe this dude is seriously saying they should have just quit! Something tells me if we weren't talking bout his team or had he had a bet on the trailing team he would be singing a much different tune!! This is about the most blatant case of homerism I have seen!! Guy doesn't have any leg of reason to stand on yet refuses to concede cause god forbid a bad light is shined upon his team!!

In this day and age with all these teams "tanking" I find it refreshing at least someone was still trying late in a game where his team had little hope!! Until they put a 7 run home run in the rule book what this guy did was absolutely the right play!! Wish more guys would do it and make teams pay for these garbage shifts!!

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17104

id bunt even if it was a perfect game. why should i stop trying to win in order to help out the other team's pitcher? dont give me a free hit if you dont want me to take it.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by fried cheese View Post
    id bunt even if it was a perfect game. why should i stop trying to win in order to help out the other team's pitcher? dont give me a free hit if you dont want me to take it.
    Damn fukkin straight! I'd love to break up the no no by doing it!! Play straight up if you don't want to get bunt on!!

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Damn fukkin straight! I'd love to break up the no no by doing it!! Play straight up if you don't want to get bunt on!!
    LOL

Ok....that is one of the 5 unwritten rules of baseball. You don't bunt to break up a no no....just a jerkoff move.

2daBank

LOL

Ok....that is one of the 5 unwritten rules of baseball. You don't bunt to break up a no no....just a jerkoff move.
    Rules are for jerkoffs!

To be clear I wouldn't do it if they played their defense straight up, but if they want to steal hits by shifting you damn straight I'll take a hit by bunting away from shift.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Good bunt. A guy on base is almost as good as a home run in that situation. You need 7 runs, not 1.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7600

Bigday noticeably absent

First 123 Last