Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

The Problem With Tanking In The NBA.

NFL rookies can oftentimes make a big splash--Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, Kareem Hunt, et al.

NBA rookies rarely move the needle at all.

For what logical reason does a franchise basically stop caring with 20 games to go in a season? To have a lottery chance of drafting some big kid from Arizona who could't win in college, or some scraggly looking guard from Oklahoma?!

Mark Cuban and the Mavs (Bulls, Griz, Suns, Kings, etc) are actually going to alienate their season ticket holders and fans by not trying to win? It's mind boggling.

It's a big problem in the NBA. The last 3rd of the season is tedious and meaningless.....and insulting!

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

MODS

keep thread here but saloon this clown

frankieunits2685
    frankieunits2685's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    NFL rookies can oftentimes make a big splash--Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, Kareem Hunt, et al.

NBA rookies rarely move the needle at all.

For what logical reason does a franchise basically stop caring with 20 games to go in a season? To have a lottery chance of drafting some big kid from Arizona who could't win in college, or some scraggly looking guard from Oklahoma?!

Mark Cuban and the Mavs (Bulls, Griz, Suns, Kings, etc) are actually going to alienate their season ticket holders and fans by not trying to win? It's mind boggling.

It's a big problem in the NBA. The last 3rd of the season is tedious and meaningless.....and insulting!
    Until the NBA changes the lottery and what not, this is going to continue to happen. Right now, you’re getting rewarded for tanking.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

Happens in every sport

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

There is a good thing about it. Friend of mine brought up this strategy he been using lately w some success. Watch for games where one the tanking teams gets out to a early lead then fade them live as they have no interest in winning these games and you can often get the favorite pretty cheap in game.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by frankieunits2685 View Post
    Until the NBA changes the lottery and what not, this is going to continue to happen. Right now, you’re getting rewarded for tanking.
    1, you missed his point completely

2. dont be a fukkin betamale and use your birthdate of feb 6 1985 as your goddamn screenname

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    There is a good thing about it. Friend of mine brought up this strategy he been using lately w some success. Watch for games where one the tanking teams gets out to a early lead then fade them live as they have no interest in winning these games and you can often get the favorite pretty cheap in game.
    weird you can check in here but not the san diego state thread where i buried you

we sure thank you for this expert opinion though

i mean, what a goddamn goldmine

THANKS

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    weird you can check in here but not the san diego state thread where i buried you

we sure thank you for this expert opinion though

i mean, what a goddamn goldmine

THANKS
    I can't decide if you a bigger phoney or a coward? Obvious you a no life loser and biggest liar on the forum which saying a lot. I didn't even bet sdst or say they were a bet for me you lying sack of trash

2daBank

Try going outside and acting like you do ya little bitch

frankieunits2685

2. dont be a fukkin betamale and use your birthdate of feb 6 1985 as your goddamn screenname
    Relax Rudy, the 2685 in my name has nothing to do with my DOB.

frankieunits2685

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    I did this the other night when the Lakers were playing the grizzlies. Had the Lakers ML and then took them live when they fell behind early. Same with the Cavs on Sunday against the Nets.

JassieJames
    JassieJames's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 594

I did this the other night when the Lakers were playing the grizzlies. Had the Lakers ML and then took them live when they fell behind early. Same with the Cavs on Sunday against the Nets.
    Lakers didn't play the Grizzlies. Did you mean Timberwolves?

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Are you kidding me? NBA Draft impacts a franchise more then any other sport....and I dont even think it's close.

Harry N. Lloyd

That's my point. They turn off their entire fan base who spent good money to see good play (or at least good effort) in exchange for a chance to draft Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball? Ugh.

That 'reward' is not worth disgusting and potentially losing your fans.

And no, LB, it doesn't happen in every sport. Never in baseball. Very rarely in hockey, Even on bad teams in football, too many players and coaches fighting for a job next year. In European soccer, teams are relegated to a lower league--competition stays fierce right up until the end.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

OP is pretty clueless here.

Harry N. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Are you kidding me? NBA Draft impacts a franchise more then any other sport....and I dont even think it's close.
    Really? Markelle Fultz? Lonzo? Ugh! Go read a mock NBA draft for this year and tell me a single player who's a sure fire stud.

Maybe in a year when a generational player is coming out (ie, Lebron, Durant) but not most years. For every Ewing there's a Sampson, for every Jordan there's a Bowie.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

That's my point. They turn off their entire fan base who spent good money to see good play (or at least good effort) in exchange for a chance to draft Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball? Ugh.

That 'reward' is not worth disgusting and potentially losing your fans.

And no, LB, it doesn't happen in every sport. Never in baseball. Very rarely in hockey, Even on bad teams in football, too many players and coaches fighting for a job next year. In European soccer, teams are relegated to a lower league--competition stays fierce right up until the end.
    Never happens in baseball? Who won the world series last year after tanking for years?

It's a disease in baseball. What are the Marlins doing now?

Regul8er
    Wordd

Really? Markelle Fultz? Lonzo? Ugh! Go read a mock NBA draft for this year and tell me a single player who's a sure fire stud.

Maybe in a year when a generational player is coming out (ie, Lebron, Durant) but not most years. For every Ewing there's a Sampson, for every Jordan there's a Bowie.
    The impact might not be there until Season 2 or 3.......but many times NBA picks change the face of a franchise. Look at the process.....tanking a few years got them into the upper echelon of the East. Simmonds is having a fine rookie season.

I don't have time to make a list, but I bet the list of players drafted in the last 3-4 years who have been very impactful is huge!

Regul8er
    Wordd

Minnesota drafting Towns and Wiggins back to back years has gotten them on the map. They were a doormat prior to that.

RudyRuetigger

why do my posts always get deleted?

if a mod has a fukkin problem, they should say so and we can discuss it

frankieunits2685

Quote Originally Posted by JassieJames View Post
    Lakers didn't play the Grizzlies. Did you mean Timberwolves?
    This past Saturday the Lakers played the Grizzlies in Memphis.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Very few players ever have an impact in their first year in the NBA that’s why tanking is so silly

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Tell that to the Sixers. Harry youre so bias these days, drink a cup of coffee bud.

Harry N. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Tell that to the Sixers. Harry youre so bias these days, drink a cup of coffee bud.
    I'm against tanking.

Are you folks who are arguing with me actually in favor of tanking? So that in 4-5 years your team might be as good as the T-Wolves? Yikes.

Name me one recent NBA champion team that did it through the draft. NBA teams get better through free agency.....or in the case of the Celtics, trades.

jtoler

I'm against tanking.

Are you folks who are arguing with me actually in favor of tanking? So that in 4-5 years your team might be as good as the T-Wolves? Yikes.

Name me one recent NBA champion team that did it through the draft. NBA teams get better through free agency.....or in the case of the Celtics, trades.
    Heck no, I hate tanking too bro. I hate that the Sixers did it for like 3-4 years straight, thats just crazy. Get better scouts to evaluate players better, get a better coach with a better system, and spend some money to get the players you need. When youre 20-50 and going nowhere I dont see the point in rolling your original starting 5 out there though.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8819

I'm against tanking.

You think Lebron goes back to Cleveland if they weren't able stockpile lottery picks for years?

Harry N. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by bigtymer56 View Post
    You think Lebron goes back to Cleveland if they weren't able stockpile lottery picks for years?
    Tyus Jones,
    Andrew Wiggins,
    Anthony Bennett,
    Sergey Karasev,
    Dion Waiters

Tell me who among those first round picks did Lebron get excited about.

jtoler

Tyus Jones,
    Andrew Wiggins,
    Anthony Bennett,
    Sergey Karasev,
    Dion Waiters

Think he means future draft picks.
    2018 - 1-3 Own; 4-30 to LAL; BRK (via BOS)
    2019 - 1-10 Own; 11-30 to ATL
    2020 - 1-10 Own; 11-30 to ATL if not already

2018 - More favorable of CLE and BRK to PHL then other to CHA (via PHL swap of CLE for BRK)
    2019 - Most favorable of CLE, ORL, HOU and POR to ORL; second most favorable of CLE, ORL and HOU to SAC then least favorable to NYK; less favorable of (i) POR and (ii) most favorable of CLE, ORL and HOU to LAC (via ORL swap for CLE or HOU (via CLE and HOU to NYK); via NYK to SAC; via POR to ORL to DET to LAC)

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Well, the obvious one: The Golden State Warriors.

Steph, Klay, Draymond.
    Points Awarded:

texhooper gave The Giant 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bonusguy
    bonusguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1445

that NBA-lottery day must be like crack cocaine to these NBA owners who tanked

Harry N. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Well, the obvious one: The Golden State Warriors.

Steph, Klay, Draymond.
    Giant, they did get those 3 studs in the draft.....but it wasn't from them tanking.

Steph was the 7th pick in the 2009 draft, after the T-Wolves picked not one but 2 guards ahead of him (Rick Rubio and Johnny Flynn).

Klay was the 11th pick in 2011. Draymond was drafted in 2nd round.

Didn't have anything to do with them purposefully losing games to get the coveted top overall pick.

bigtymer56

Tyus Jones,
    Andrew Wiggins,
    Anthony Bennett,
    Sergey Karasev,
    Dion Waiters

Did you purposely leave Kyrie and (pre-kardashian) Thristan Thompson off your list?

bigtymer56

Did you also forget they swapped Wiggins for Love (guessing GM Lebron had some idea that was going to happen)?

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Giant, they did get those 3 studs in the draft.....but it wasn't from them tanking.

Steph was the 7th pick in the 2009 draft, after the T-Wolves picked not one but 2 guards ahead of him (Rick Rubio and Johnny Flynn).

Klay was the 11th pick in 2011. Draymond was drafted in 2nd round.

Didn't have anything to do with them purposefully losing games to get the coveted top overall pick.
    I was just illustrating that it's possible to get better through the draft.

And since that is the case, who wouldn't want to have the highest possible selections?

Harry N. Lloyd

Tristan Thompson is not exactly a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. He was the Cavs actual selection that year. They landed the right to draft Kyrie in a trade with the Clips for Baron Davis. Without the trade it would've been Thompson only. The trade saved them, not tanking.

12 Last