1. #1
    stackz125
    stackz125's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-03-16
    Posts: 3,156
    Betpoints: 36

    question regarding bitcoin...

    okay so i have some funds at blockchain....
    question is how to get into my bank account now. what are some sites I can transfer from blockchain


    thanks!

  2. #2
    mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-07-17
    Posts: 1,351
    Betpoints: 3012

    If you're a US resident, you can sell at Coinbase which is the most well known (and infamous one) and have the money direct deposited into your bank account. There's also Gemini, CEX.io, itBit, etc that offer a similar service. If you'd rather do a Craigslist type of sale, LocalBitcoins is the most commonly used site, but urge caution as there's a lot of scams so only accept payment that can't be reversed like Eastern Union and Dinero Gram.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/16/2018

    $30
    Angelman
    donation 8/13/2018


  3. #3
    Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 34,558
    Betpoints: 6724

    Quote Originally Posted by stackz125 View Post
    okay so i have some funds at blockchain....
    question is how to get into my bank account now. what are some sites I can transfer from blockchain


    thanks!
    Simplest way is to open an account at Gemini.com and verify your bank account. Once that is done you just send your bitcoin to your Gemini wallet then sell it to them for US$ and then withdraw it your linked bank account.

    SBR
    Forum
    Mod
    Squad

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2018

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


  4. #4
    magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-17-18
    Posts: 1,940
    Betpoints: 25

    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Simplest way is to open an account at Gemini.com and verify your bank account. Once that is done you just send your bitcoin to your Gemini wallet then sell it to them for US$ and then withdraw it your linked bank account.
    Why Gemini over Coinbase? I have a coinbase account but I want to know if there is a real reason to switch

  5. #5
    Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 34,558
    Betpoints: 6724

    Quote Originally Posted by magaman View Post

    Why Gemini over Coinbase? I have a coinbase account but I want to know if there is a real reason to switch
    I don't think you need to switch but unless a new user wants to buy with a card then I usually suggest Gemini first. It's slightly cheaper for fees, covers the miners fees for sends and seems to be easier to get support from.

    Also a couple of people who just don't seem to be able to get anything, especially Coinbase, have managed to use Gemini. So I think it's probably easier to learn for newbies too.

    SBR
    Forum
    Mod
    Squad

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2018

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


  6. #6
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar MLB Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 291,551
    Betpoints: 3838

    I might try Gemini

    Seems easier

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$

    Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  7. #7
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by magaman View Post
    Why Gemini over Coinbase? I have a coinbase account but I want to know if there is a real reason to switch
    Gemini doesn't rat you out like Coinbase when you sell.

    Coinbase will send you a 1099 for the smallest sale to the IRS.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/16/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/13/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/06/2018


  8. #8
    magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-17-18
    Posts: 1,940
    Betpoints: 25

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Gemini doesn't rat you out like Coinbase when you sell.

    Coinbase will send you a 1099 for the smallest sale to the IRS.
    That is what I was thinking... no need for that.

    But I think the best solution is bitpay... or has that ship left ?

  9. #9
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by magaman View Post
    That is what I was thinking... no need for that.

    But I think the best solution is bitpay... or has that ship left ?
    If you read the TOS over at Gemini... it 100% states in the fine print... do not use your acct for gambling purposes. Acct will be closed immediately. I've had Gemini for over a year now... probably 20-25 transactions to and from books directly. No emails from Gemini... or warnings. I always kept large $ in my acct for 3 months... but it did worry me... so I took it all out. Trying not to use Gemini... really no need for it at this time.

    Gemini is a huge advantage to move funds quickly... when the Bitcoin network was clogged. Every Gemini acct holder gets 30 free Bitcoin network transactions every calendar month. When the fee was $28.00 for Bitcoin networking fees.... Gemini paid 100%. What's cool about Gemini... any transaction is confirmed on the next block. But since Bitcoin networking fees are low now... really no need for it.

    I still like Bitpay... no issues with them.
    Last edited by TheMoneyShot; 03-13-18 at 06:20 AM.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/16/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/13/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/06/2018


  10. #10
    Hman
    Hman's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 11-04-17
    Posts: 3,251
    Betpoints: 313

    In the beginning my first 3-4 withdrawals from Coinbase caused them to warn me that their company was/is not to be used to move money around.

    But since then & many transactions later, I've had no problems whatsoever.

    So Gemini has more reasonable fees?
    Last edited by Hman; 03-13-18 at 07:10 AM.

    SBR
    Forum
    Mod
    Squad


  11. #11
    Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 34,558
    Betpoints: 6724

    Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    In the beginning my first 3-4 withdrawals from Coinbase caused them to warn me that their company was/is not to be used to move money around.

    But since then & many transactions later, I've had no problems whatsoever.

    So Gemini has more reasonable fees?
    They charge 0.25% per exchange and Coinbase charge 1.49%

    But they use different spot rates so it's not as simple as saying Coinbase cost 1.24% more.

    They are generally a bit cheaper though.

    Plus the miner fees being covered by them. That's another 2 or 3 bucks each transfer out.

    SBR
    Forum
    Mod
    Squad

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2018

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


  12. #12
    Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-03-09
    Posts: 545
    Betpoints: 606

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Gemini doesn't rat you out like Coinbase when you sell.

    Coinbase will send you a 1099 for the smallest sale to the IRS.
    I have a Coinbase account and made dozens of purchases and sales in 2017 and did not get a 1099. I suspect they only sent them to people with fairly high activity or those living in states that require them to. I would wager that this will change in 2018 after the IRS clarifies its stance on crypto currencies.

    I also suspect that Gemini and all othe U.S. based exchanges will have to do the same. I hope not, but we all need to be prepared for that.

  13. #13
    stackz125
    stackz125's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-03-16
    Posts: 3,156
    Betpoints: 36

    I'm Canadian..... does that make a difference on where I should or can open an account with?


    Thank you

  14. #14
    Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 34,558
    Betpoints: 6724

    Quote Originally Posted by stackz125 View Post
    I'm Canadian..... does that make a difference on where I should or can open an account with?


    Thank you
    Yes. You should use quadrigacx.com instead of Coinbase or Gemini.

    SBR
    Forum
    Mod
    Squad

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2018

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


  15. #15
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsims View Post
    I have a Coinbase account and made dozens of purchases and sales in 2017 and did not get a 1099. I suspect they only sent them to people with fairly high activity or those living in states that require them to. I would wager that this will change in 2018 after the IRS clarifies its stance on crypto currencies.

    I also suspect that Gemini and all othe U.S. based exchanges will have to do the same. I hope not, but we all need to be prepared for that.
    You didn't read the post about Roscoe_Word? Only did 1 sale at Coinbase for around $1,200 and was sent a 1099. Consider yourself lucky.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/16/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/13/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/06/2018


  16. #16
    Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-03-09
    Posts: 545
    Betpoints: 606

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    You didn't read the post about Roscoe_Word? Only did 1 sale at Coinbase for around $1,200 and was sent a 1099. Consider yourself lucky.
    I thought he got a 1099-K because he lives in Massachusetts.

  17. #17
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsims View Post
    I thought he got a 1099-K because he lives in Massachusetts.
    You could be right.

    I was under the assumption that this was a Federal Law. I didn't know Massachusetts (had a State Law) would override Federal guidelines?
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/16/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/13/2018

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/06/2018


  18. #18
    biggie12
    $PAC 105 sat 3/7/2018
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-30-05
    Posts: 8,843
    Betpoints: 303

    Quote Originally Posted by stackz125 View Post
    I'm Canadian..... does that make a difference on where I should or can open an account with?


    Thank you
    Quadrigacx.com is your best bet.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/06/2018

    SBR Founder Join Date: 12/30/2005


  19. #19
    mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-07-17
    Posts: 1,351
    Betpoints: 3012

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    You could be right.

    I was under the assumption that this was a Federal Law. I didn't know Massachusetts (had a State Law) would override Federal guidelines?
    It doesn't, but if MA is requiring a 1099-K be issued in order to deal with MA customers, then they'll have to use that form to report the income to report on his state taxes. The 1099-K rule doesn't say they can't report it if it isn't above the threshold. I can issue a 1099-K for $1 if I wanted to, but it would be ridiculous to do so unless I'm forced to.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/16/2018

    $30
    Angelman
    donation 8/13/2018


  20. #20
    Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-09-11
    Posts: 310
    Betpoints: 5436

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    It doesn't, but if MA is requiring a 1099-K be issued in order to deal with MA customers, then they'll have to use that form to report the income to report on his state taxes. The 1099-K rule doesn't say they can't report it if it isn't above the threshold. I can issue a 1099-K for $1 if I wanted to, but it would be ridiculous to do so unless I'm forced to.
    Ya, I think it is MA and Vermont that are different from everyone else - require the 1099K.

    My understanding is that Coinbase was arm-twisted into sending out the 1099K for 200 transactions and/or withdrawals totalling over 20k. They didn't want to issue them at all but conceded (to the IRS) those levels....

    Last I looked, Gemini's policy was somewhat better:

    https://gemini24.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...tax-reporting-

    Currently, Gemini is not required to issue Forms 1099-B because bitcoin and ether sales appear to be regarded as sales of personal property under current IRS guidance. Forms 1099-B are not required to be issued for sales of personal property, and therefore, while we are still evaluating this issue, we do not believe that Gemini has a filing requirement at this time.

    With that said, our account reports do provide information related to 3 of the 4 pieces of information related to determining gain/loss of your bitcoin or ether activity on Gemini:

    Date acquired (if your bitcoin or ether were purchased on Gemini)
    Date sold
    Proceeds
    ...........................
    Please note that we do not have any way of knowing the cost basis for bitcoin or ether deposited into your account (one of the necessary pieces of information to complete a Form 1099-B). As a result, we recommend that for tax preparation, especially related to any sale of bitcoin or ether on Gemini that were acquired elsewhere, you consult with your personal tax advisor.

    $30
    Charity
    donation 7/19/2018


Top