BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

How would these NBA players fare in 80's-90's NBA?

Durant
    Westbrook
    Curry
    Lebron
    Harden
    Demarcus Cousins
    Kyrie Irving
    Klay Thompson
    Wade
    Rondo
    Dirk
    Last edited by BigBusiness; 03-05-18 at 05:37 PM.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

LeBron fine....thou banged up

Westbrook fine.... thou banged up

The rest? Bill Laimbeer ain't having it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hard to say
    Different rules

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 119

Might be a tough transition. Many of those guys are babies already. Imagine them getting hammered around and not getting a foul called. Might need a lot of kleenex on the sidelines for quite awhile. It would be even harder to adjust to having to actually dribble and not just being able to take 13 steps to make a layup. I know its hard to believe but refs actually called double dribbles and traveling back then.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

thing people don't remember is that in the 80's no basketball players lifted weights

they were all tooth picks or sort of chubby

and if you were 6'8 or taller you couldn't dribble or shoot with the exception of a handful of guys.

a fuk tard like dwight howard would have dominated in the 80's just due to physicality

bill laimbeer? lol

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

They played defense in the 80's & 90's.

Would live to see LeBron try to make a living by getting to the rim back then.

Guts like Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason, Dennis Rodman, and the league in gemetal would have him eating the floor.

Also had real centers & shot blockers.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

I would love to see Steph Curry play the bad boy pistons in a series. That would be great comedy

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    I would love to see Steph Curry play the bad boy pistons in a series. That would be great comedy
    he would flourish

Hman

Quote Originally Posted by BigBusiness View Post
    he would flourish

Joe Dumars would blanket him & Isiah Thomas would give him fits on offense.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

All those names would thrive except for curry and kyrie, their frames wouldn't handle the physicality very well

Harden is alot stronger than he looks

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    All those names would thrive except for curry and kyrie, their frames wouldn't handle the physicality very well

Harden is alot stronger than he looks
    I thought the same just because he looks so on TV...

Not so. Was courtside at a Wolves/ Rockets game few years ago. He's a twig. Very deceptive muscle outline.

80s NBA was too physical for these snowflakes today. They are faster, but they are not getting to the rim and they aren't any better at shooting than Bird & co.

shadymcgrady

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    I thought the same just because he looks so on TV...

Not so. Was courtside at a Wolves/ Rockets game few years ago. He's a twig. Very deceptive muscle outline.

80s NBA was too physical for these snowflakes today. They are faster, but they are not getting to the rim and they aren't any better at shooting than Bird & co.
    Harden has alot of leg strength and uses it wisely in pushing off on the drive with momentum. The moves he implements requires squat strength of 3 plates minimum

No one in history could shoot like bird did, curry is the closest but not the same

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

This list of players, or any of the top players today would be fine. They would adjust.
    Just b/c they grew up in the AAU culture getting blown their entire life doesn`t make them any less talented.

A player like Durant would be protected like Gretsky.

I am an unabashed champion of 80s NBA. Boston/LA with Detriot was what I grew up with and it will never be duplicated.
    Parish connecting with TWO haymakers to Lainbeers face....knocking him down...and not getting tossed.
    McHale clotheslining Rambis to change the course and outcome of a series.

Talent would adjust.

shadymcgrady

It's silly to think that these stars today wouldn't be up to the physicality of yesteryear

They train in the weight room when they aren't practicing nonstop and treat their bodies as multimillion dollar enterprises or businesses bc in a way they are just that

It's why they are constantly getting injured, they are maxing out the limitations on their bodies

The trick is to maintain the strength but avoid the bulk. In bball, more bulk is worse than any strength you could gain from it

Kobe perfected that, guy was starting his reps at 3 plates yet didn't carry the bulk of the bucket head Joe at your gym.

It's ridiculous to think that the big names haven't implemented this strategy especially when every team has hired nutritionists on staff to have all the players do just that. Lean muscle mass

Curry probably squats 3 plates, I'd bet Harden does 4 or 5 so 400 or 500 pounds on the squat. That's a lot of weight no matter who you are or what Era you played in

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9047

If Reggie Miller could make it in that era...dont see why any of these guys would have a problem.

Lebron learned how to manhandle the Pistons and Celtics back in the 00's...he would be fine.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

More physical back then, hard fouls were allowed, hand checking was allowed also.. These players today are soft and I don't think most have the grit to take the hits, most would begin to get shut down with hand checking as well..

Lebron would be ok, Curry would cry and get injured with the hard fouls.

Look at Allen Iverson back in the day as he was a little guy and a walking injury because he was getting hammered constantly and thrown to the floor.. In today's game Iverson would have really lit it up and maybe had a longer career...

Jordan would still be the best today..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 03-07-18 at 12:46 PM.

shadymcgrady

Ah, now we come to the mental toughness part of the game.

Good point jib, where the athleticism is off the charts today the mental toughness is the key difference between players of today and players of the 80s and 90s for sure

Players in general today are much softer mentally and have less than half the grit players of yesterday had

The studs like lebron and Durant along with half of that list would be fine but some would most likely wither

Hman

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    More physical back then, hard fouls were allowed, hand checking was allowed also.. These players today are soft and I don't think most have the grit to take the hits, most would begin to get shut down with hand checking as well..

Lebron would be ok, Curry would cry and get injured with the hard fouls.

Look and Allen Iverson back in the day as he was little guy and a walking injury because he was getting hammered constantly and thrown to the floor.. In today's game Iverson would have really lit it up and maybe had a longer career...

Jordan would still be the best today..

Good analogy & yes Jordan would avg 40+ today without question.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Durant probably just fine.

cwnotorious
    cwnotorious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10757

Shady and the other regulars are on point here, no need to intervene - carry on
    I will say this, God I miss the good ol days. I am one flux capacitor away from a vacation. First thing I would do if I could travel back into the mid 80's early 90's, start a fight with an old-school prick and feel alive again

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

They would all get called for traveling.

CJ
    CJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5812

A few years back, I believe Jordan (although it may have been Barkley) stated Kobe, Duncan and Dirk would've had no problem playing in the 80s/early 90s. I've got to agree with that. Dirk's offensive game is transcendent, as his jumpers were virtually unguardable. Plus Dirk is a bit older than some of the others named, so lets just move on.

Durant is similar to Dirk, with the unstoppable shot. He's essentially a taller version of McGrady, so I don't see why he'd be any less dominant. Rail thin guys like George Gervin got theirs, so I think Durant would've been just fine. He likely shoots less threes, due to the style of the era, but he'd still be a scoring machine.

Wade/Westbrook/Harden all play a similar crash the basket like a maniac style, and that worked quite well for Allen Iverson in the back half of the 90s, did it not? I don't think Westbrook would've ever averaged a triple double, but I do think they'd all still have been elite. Durability would've likely been an issue, but then again it already is for Wade. I'd imagine one of the three of them would've been done early in a Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway injury way, with everyone wondering what could've been.

Cousins is a fun one to analyze, as the mind games of the era, coupled with more physical defenders may have completely nullified his skill set. Conversely, he may have thrived in that environment. I don't see him fairing any better than say, fellow Kings alum, Chris Webber, and I think he ends up more like Derrick Coleman.

Speaking of mind games, Rondo might've been in big trouble. I'd say a rich man's Vernon Maxwell is the best case scenario. Their career paths have been quite similar, shuffling from team to team, post Championship success.

The Splash Brothers playing in that era may not have been as exciting. The three point style wasn't in play yet, but as another poster said... if Reggie Miller could make it. I think Klay would've been a Steve Smith style player. Curry is tougher to figure out, as he's already had a lot of injury issues. Playing in a tougher era may have broken him. Either way, ideally Steph would've played on the Hornets with his father, while Klay played in Portland with his.

Kyrie Irving is the one guy on this list I really think wouldn't have made it. He's soft, egotistical and would've got knocked on his ass over and over. I think he would've given up. At best he would've been a Tim Hardaway style player, just hoping to finally have a healthy season.

LeBron is ridiculous to include, he's one of the best ever. The notion he would've got knocked around by the more physical players is just plain stupid given LeBron's strength and size. Personally, I think playing in that era would've made him tougher, as he would've have come into the league so entitled, with everyone lining up to suck him off. Most likely he'd have enjoyed Karl Malone/Charles Barkley level success, an MVP here or there and no titles. The best part is he would've lost to Michael every year, settling that debate once and for all.

shadymcgrady

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    A few years back, I believe Jordan (although it may have been Barkley) stated Kobe, Duncan and Dirk would've had no problem playing in the 80s/early 90s. I've got to agree with that. Dirk's offensive game is transcendent, as his jumpers were virtually unguardable. Plus Dirk is a bit older than some of the others named, so lets just move on.

Durant is similar to Dirk, with the unstoppable shot. He's essentially a taller version of McGrady, so I don't see why he'd be any less dominant. Rail thin guys like George Gervin got theirs, so I think Durant would've been just fine. He likely shoots less threes, due to the style of the era, but he'd still be a scoring machine.

Wade/Westbrook/Harden all play a similar crash the basket like a maniac style, and that worked quite well for Allen Iverson in the back half of the 90s, did it not? I don't think Westbrook would've ever averaged a triple double, but I do think they'd all still have been elite. Durability would've likely been an issue, but then again it already is for Wade. I'd imagine one of the three of them would've been done early in a Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway injury way, with everyone wondering what could've been.

Cousins is a fun one to analyze, as the mind games of the era, coupled with more physical defenders may have completely nullified his skill set. Conversely, he may have thrived in that environment. I don't see him fairing any better than say, fellow Kings alum, Chris Webber, and I think he ends up more like Derrick Coleman.

Speaking of mind games, Rondo might've been in big trouble. I'd say a rich man's Vernon Maxwell is the best case scenario. Their career paths have been quite similar, shuffling from team to team, post Championship success.

The Splash Brothers playing in that era may not have been as exciting. The three point style wasn't in play yet, but as another poster said... if Reggie Miller could make it. I think Klay would've been a Steve Smith style player. Curry is tougher to figure out, as he's already had a lot of injury issues. Playing in a tougher era may have broken him. Either way, ideally Steph would've played on the Hornets with his father, while Klay played in Portland with his.

Kyrie Irving is the one guy on this list I really think wouldn't have made it. He's soft, egotistical and would've got knocked on his ass over and over. I think he would've given up. At best he would've been a Tim Hardaway style player, just hoping to finally have a healthy season.

LeBron is ridiculous to include, he's one of the best ever. The notion he would've got knocked around by the more physical players is just plain stupid given LeBron's strength and size. Personally, I think playing in that era would've made him tougher, as he would've have come into the league so entitled, with everyone lining up to suck him off. Most likely he'd have enjoyed Karl Malone/Charles Barkley level success, an MVP here or there and no titles. The best part is he would've lost to Michael every year, settling that debate once and for all.
    Those are greats comparisons CJ and I agree with almost all of them except the Tim Hardaway kyrie one. I think Timmy Hardaway is underrated and better than mot give him credit for

But great comparisons, man haven't heard Derrick Coleman in yrs

Hman

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post

CJ, It's not the that LeBron couldn't handle the physicality back then.

It's the fact that a percentage of those easy buckets going to the hole would be eliminated & he'd have to earn more from the free throw line, while also having to deal with the mentality of being concerned when he's gonna get knocked to the floor.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

How much more did Malone weigh than Lebron?

cwnotorious
    cwnotorious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10757

Karl Malone playing weight 264.555 pounds
    Lebron 253.532
    Jordan 211.644
    Steph 180

shadymcgrady

Lebron would've injured more guys back then trying to defend his drives than get injured himself

Bigs made the mistake of trying to block his drives his rookie yr and got shelved with injury. Players today wisely gtfo the way

He's the greatest athlete thus far to his respective field since chamberlain to play the game

Never seen such a successful rate of bully ball style in anyone before him and that includes sir Charles as great as he was

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Westbrook would have been laid out about 300 times.

Hman

Lebron would've injured more guys back then trying to defend his drives than get injured himself

Bigs made the mistake of trying to block his drives his rookie yr and got shelved with injury. Players today wisely gtfo the way

He's the greatest athlete thus far to his respective field since chamberlain to play the game

Never seen such a successful rate of bully ball style in anyone before him and that includes sir Charles as great as he was

I don't know shady.

Not only was it more physical then, but unlike today, you also had a shot blocking presence in the middle.

Olajuwon, Mourning, Mutombo, D. Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Smits, Eaton, Bohl, and others there to greet you if you got past the first & second wave.

Of course LeBron would still be great, but things would be much tougher for sure.

Jordon was double & triple teamed nightly & STILL dominated.

Imagine his success in today's defensive rules & the players now who are spolied to today's having to adjust to those rules back then.

All in fun convo

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Quote Originally Posted by hostile takeover View Post
    They would all get called for traveling.

Actually, it's correct. They would get called for carrying the ball. Was watching the Knicks vs. Blazers game last night and Damian Lillard repeatedly carried the ball. So much that he was doing it in front of the Knicks bench and Kurt Rambis and Jeff Hornacek both got up and pointed at it and the referees did nothing!!!

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Durant wouldn't be able to deal with the physicality. This was a guy that couldn't bench press 180 pounds coming into the NBA. James Harden wouldn't be drawing the fouls that he does. (most of the fouls called aren't fouls) Dirk, Wade, and Kyrie would still be effective. Lebron might actually be better in 80's basketball as his ability to penetrate and not being a pure (elite) shooter would fit in well. Lebron and Michael would have many great battles. I don't think the weight difference would make a difference as long as this was the Jordan who put on muscle after his battles with Detroit. I still remember when Jordan lit the Celtics up for 63 points and that was basketball at it's best.

shadymcgrady

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    I don't know shady.

Not only was it more physical then, but unlike today, you also had a shot blocking presence in the middle.

Olajuwon, Mourning, Mutombo, D. Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Smits, Eaton, Bohl, and others there to greet you if you got past the first & second wave.

Of course LeBron would still be great, but things would be much tougher for sure.

Jordon was double & triple teamed nightly & STILL dominated.

Imagine his success in today's defensive rules & the players now who are spolied to today's having to adjust to those rules back then.

All in fun convo
    Hman, I'm the first one at sporting events amongst friends and colleagues to knock lebron for being mentally soft and yes I consider michael a superior legend in every right but to deny LeBron's legacy is impossible

Before him, sir Charles was the only player that I recall who made a hof career consistently playing bully ball until I saw lebron. And Lebron did it with better efficiency bc he was smarter ab when to use it despite being able to use it just ab everytime

Yes he was a huge b in running to stacked teams from Miami back to cle to win rings and to me his legacy will always be tainted bc of it but he did something that only a handful of greats did while he was on those teams. He used the lack of doubles to permanently improve areas of his game and slowly transitioned from an athletically dominant bully ball player to an all around unstoppable one

Thinking ab it now with this recent topic I'd say he's alrdy surpassed kobe in terms of all time greats and his knocking on Duncan's door in the top 5

Jordan
    Russell
    Magic
    Bird
    Duncan

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Lebron would probably thrive playing in any era just like Kobe and Jordan would as well.. These guys all had one thing in common they didn't get injured often.. That's big in this sport..

Lebron's size would put him in the same light as a Magic Johnson but quicker and more explosive if he played in the 80's.. Magic had better handles then Lebron and possibly better court vision as well, Magic might have been mentally tougher then Lebron also.. Magic took a lot of hard hits going to the basket, Lebron would have faced the same hits from teams like the Detroit Piston bad boys and other physical teams of the past..

Remember the original Olympic Dream Team.. Those were great NBA players.. Magic, Bird, Jordan, Malone, Hakeem O, etc.. Tough players back then...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 03-07-18 at 01:15 PM.

Hman

Hman, I'm the first one at sporting events amongst friends and colleagues to knock lebron for being mentally soft and yes I consider michael a superior legend in every right but to deny LeBron's legacy is impossible

Before him, sir Charles was the only player that I recall who made a hof career consistently playing bully ball until I saw lebron. And Lebron did it with better efficiency bc he was smarter ab when to use it despite being able to use it just ab everytime

Yes he was a huge b in running to stacked teams from Miami back to cle to win rings and to me his legacy will always be tainted bc of it but he did something that only a handful of greats did while he was on those teams. He used the lack of doubles to permanently improve areas of his game and slowly transitioned from an athletically dominant bully ball player to an all around unstoppable one

Thinking ab it now with this recent topic I'd say he's alrdy surpassed kobe in terms of all time greats and his knocking on Duncan's door in the top 5

Jordan
    Russell
    Magic
    Bird
    Duncan

It's all a matter of opinion my friend

Personally, I'd take an 18yr old Kobe over an 18yr old LeBron.

Is LeBron a better all-around player?

Yes he is.

But being a better all-around player doesn't make you a greater player.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

All of the current players listed in original post would be great in any era. Defenses in the 80s and 90s were not much better than now and players cried about calls back then as well.

People getting too caught up in how “tough” the older eras were. Modern players would adjust to refs allowing them to play through contact and do the same to their opponents.

12 Last