JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    like poker or anything else slurry, all you can do is make the best decision you can and ignore the "bad beats"... i have 100k worth of bbby bonds that are now worth 7k... was a good decision at the time, when they had $1.2 billion in cash and were profitable

but by mentioning that, even now, it's like i'm throwing my garbage in everyone's yard, and it isn't helpful... even if there's (1) winner and (10) losers, it's better to focus on the winner!
    Thought you had a stronghold of Bobby Bonds cards at first glance

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Thought you had a stronghold of Bobby Bonds cards at first glance
    lol, i actually do have a ton of cards, should've gotten rid of some of them in the boom... thanks for reminding me to get rid of some of this garbage though

chucky, do you know any collectors in the milwaukee area? i know a couple places that buy stuff but they always rip me off something awful... i have tons of bobbleheads, dvds, cards, autographed balls, stamps, etc

JAKEPEAVY21

lol, i actually do have a ton of cards, should've gotten rid of some of them in the boom... thanks for reminding me to get rid of some of this garbage though

chucky, do you know any collectors in the milwaukee area? i know a couple places that buy stuff but they always rip me off something awful... i have tons of bobbleheads, dvds, cards, autographed balls, stamps, etc
    I might be interested in some of your cards depending what they are, condition etc

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13581

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Thank you, Madison. I'll look at those. What do you think of LITOF?

I do have good exposure to metals. Would like to sharpen my game, tho.
    LITOF ... A year or more ago I did some research on them and passed. The speculative I own is AMLI, LAC, LTHM, SGML, SLI, and PLL. I would look closely at LAC right now at this level. I'm very close to adding here.

SQM and ALB are viable companies who are producing earnings and healthy dividends. Both are at or close to my "Buy At" levels. GL

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    I might be interested in some of your cards depending what they are, condition etc
    I have a near perfect Wheaties (Must have eaten a lot of wheaties I guess lol) NFL Pro Bowl sticker collection/book. I think 1964. Stickers are glossy and roughly 2" x 3". Any idea if that's worth anything?

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

These Bond yields are telling Powell FU. 10yr is 3.27 as I write. Little curious the market isn't responding more positively??

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    I have a near perfect Wheaties (Must have eaten a lot of wheaties I guess lol) NFL Pro Bowl sticker collection/book. I think 1964. Stickers are glossy and roughly 2" x 3". Any idea if that's worth anything?
    is it this thing? looks like maybe $70, would probably be worth a lot more if the stickers were never applied

JAKEPEAVY21

No clue about the value of that.

The best way to get an idea is to check recent sold listings on Ebay.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

is it this thing? looks like maybe $70, would probably be worth a lot more if the stickers were never applied

I was 12 so not smart enough to not apply the stickers. At $70 it's probably worth more the laughs looking at Huff/Ditka etc in their youth. I may drag that guy out of the closet and get a laugh. Thx!

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Hi, Mike. It's been a little while. Can't say I know any names who are still active.

You are correct about the Bid/Ask spreads for collectibles:
    *The BAD dealers will offer 50-cents on the dollar.
    *The GOOD dealers will offer 80-cents on the dollar. But the item has to be liquid. IE, something they can move pretty quickly.

ChuckyTheGoat

LITOF ... A year or more ago I did some research on them and passed. The speculative I own is AMLI, LAC, LTHM, SGML, SLI, and PLL. I would look closely at LAC right now at this level. I'm very close to adding here.

SQM and ALB are viable companies who are producing earnings and healthy dividends. Both are at or close to my "Buy At" levels. GL
    Thank you, Madison. I will scout those out. Looking to add more Metals.

ChuckyTheGoat

I was 12 so not smart enough to not apply the stickers. At $70 it's probably worth more the laughs looking at Huff/Ditka etc in their youth. I may drag that guy out of the closet and get a laugh. Thx!
    I can give you one comment on that. On any sticker books:
    1) If you apply the sticker into the book, it mostly becomes a collector's item. Low resale value.
    2) If you're saying that you actually KEPT the Huff/Ditka stickers and didn't stick em in the book. Now, THAT could be worth some $$. Stickers in the original form are nice, so many were stuck in the book.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Thank you, Madison. I will scout those out. Looking to add more Metals.
    Hey, Madison. LAC: in!

Buy low, right? Thanks and Good Luck to us.

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

So my ET saga continues today. Yesterday the price did pullback, but it didn't close below the low from Tuesday. After making a substantial move on Monday it is doing what I call resting and gaining energy. I got 2 weeks left until I have to shyt or get off the pot (4/21) for a CALL that is in the money but with options time degeneration keeps ticking. Still gonna unload if the price gets to and closes below $12.60 to protect some profits here. I think the jobs numbers that have been coming out lately are somewhat moderating the price of oil after the initial OPEC announcement. If ET can close out the week above the $12.70 spot (50DMA), I see higher prices on the horizon and maybe a new range of $12.70 to $13.25.

milwaukee mike

slurry, also keep in mind with those limited partnerships like ET, even if you hold the stock for a day they will usually send you a K-1 form that can make your taxes a mess

Slurry Pumper

slurry, also keep in mind with those limited partnerships like ET, even if you hold the stock for a day they will usually send you a K-1 form that can make your taxes a mess
    Yeah, I know, but I usually let that be handled through my guy who deals with my taxes. Let him earn the fee. Its hard enough to focus on running a bidness with 8 employees, then juggling personal taxes and business taxes. I just focus on making the money: Uncle Sam and sometimes Pedro from South America get their cut no matter what.
    I end up giving money every quarter, then filling an extension every year. I try to comply but the whole thing is so complicated that paying some dude for that is well worth the money.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    Yeah, I know, but I usually let that be handled through my guy who deals with my taxes. Let him earn the fee. Its hard enough to focus on running a bidness with 8 employees, then juggling personal taxes and business taxes. I just focus on making the money: Uncle Sam and sometimes Pedro from South America get their cut no matter what.
    I end up giving money every quarter, then filling an extension every year. I try to comply but the whole thing is so complicated that paying some dude for that is well worth the money.
    the K-1 thing can be a positive if you lose money on something, let's say you buy ET for 3200 and sell it for 2000, the 1200 loss will show up on the brokerage 1099, but it also shows up on the K-1... so a lazy/ignorant/aggressive accountant would double dip on that loss... but don't double dip on a gain!

Slurry Pumper

the K-1 thing can be a positive if you lose money on something, let's say you buy ET for 3200 and sell it for 2000, the 1200 loss will show up on the brokerage 1099, but it also shows up on the K-1... so a lazy/ignorant/aggressive accountant would double dip on that loss... but don't double dip on a gain!
    That's just it. There are so many carve outs and specific things that can get used over multiple years, but then eventually need to be omitted for a number of years. Its too much to care about. I stopped him from telling me years ago about how you made too much in this category so that F'd you in this other category or you took losses over here so these can be added to these gains to qualify for this other specific program. I just tell him to keep it on the level because if I go to jail, I'll get him one way or another. Even being audited blows and when it happens I don't even know what the F is going on.

milwaukee mike

That's just it. There are so many carve outs and specific things that can get used over multiple years, but then eventually need to be omitted for a number of years. Its too much to care about. I stopped him from telling me years ago about how you made too much in this category so that F'd you in this other category or you took losses over here so these can be added to these gains to qualify for this other specific program. I just tell him to keep it on the level because if I go to jail, I'll get him one way or another. Even being audited blows and when it happens I don't even know what the F is going on.
    that's the weird thing, after the standard deduction went way up, audits went to about 0... the last few years of my business, i did 1000+ returns and only saw 1 audit, and that was only a partial from the state of wisconsin.

just another one of the things that trump's administration never gets credit for, simplifying the tax code by giving everyone a huge standard deduction so they don't have to nickel and dime donations/etc

people thought that would really hurt the churches/charities, it didn't, but then fauci/birx really destroyed the churches with those dumbass lockdowns

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

that's the weird thing, after the standard deduction went way up, audits went to about 0... the last few years of my business, i did 1000+ returns and only saw 1 audit, and that was only a partial from the state of wisconsin.

just another one of the things that trump's administration never gets credit for, simplifying the tax code by giving everyone a huge standard deduction so they don't have to nickel and dime donations/etc

people thought that would really hurt the churches/charities, it didn't, but then fauci/birx really destroyed the churches with those dumbass lockdowns
    Haha that's funny.

Didn't hurt charities because they allowed an above the line deduction. Now that's gone. But for the big money, they itemize anyway.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Haha that's funny.

Didn't hurt charities because they allowed an above the line deduction. Now that's gone. But for the big money, they itemize anyway.
    that "above the line" was $300... big money hardly ever itemizes actually, unless they have large donations... standard deduction for 2023 is $27.700 and salt (state and local taxes) are capped at $10,000... almost no wealthy people have mortgage interest, so unless they're over 18k in donations, it's the standard deduction

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

that "above the line" was $300... big money hardly ever itemizes actually, unless they have large donations... standard deduction for 2023 is $27.700 and salt (state and local taxes) are capped at $10,000... almost no wealthy people have mortgage interest, so unless they're over 18k in donations, it's the standard deduction
    Still didn't simplify the code. The code about deductions is still there. More complexity was added with various things, especially the QBI deductions. The code only gets longer, never shorter.

milwaukee mike

Still didn't simplify the code. The code about deductions is still there. More complexity was added with various things, especially the QBI deductions. The code only gets longer, never shorter.
    yeah that's true, i should've said simplified many returns, but you're right even that isn't necessarily true

had an old client ask me a few days ago if $800 was fair for tax prep, pretty simple return... he then says he asked the 3 firms i suggested (and another 2) and they all quoted him about that much

if you asked 5 people that do tax returns, and i haven't done any in 2 years, why would all 5 of them be lying? lolol i think he wanted me to do his on the side for free or something

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

FYI IBonds. I was a big promoter 18 months ago at circa 9%. Currently 6.89%. Based on 5 out of 6 months data they are predicting 3.26% OUCH. Hope Powell is paying attention.

milwaukee mike

FYI IBonds. I was a big promoter 18 months ago at circa 9%. Currently 6.89%. Based on 5 out of 6 months data they are predicting 3.26% OUCH. Hope Powell is paying attention.
    yeah at this point you're better off with a 3.75% savings (amex) or buying 1-month or 2-month treasurys

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Powell's ability to stop inflation is out of options. There's only so much the Fed can do.
    Out of control government spending demands, geopolitical collapse, and de-dollarization are political problems caused by our elected representatives. This is the way the nation goes, by its own hands, falling into an accelerating decay.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Powell's ability to stop inflation is out of options. There's only so much the Fed can do.
    Out of control government spending demands, geopolitical collapse, and de-dollarization are political problems caused by our elected representatives. This is the way the nation goes, by its own hands, falling into an accelerating decay.
    I generally try to stay politically neutral but the incompetence of allowing sensitive documents which imply we may be spying on our allies is very disconcerting.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

BUY SQM & ALB now.

milwaukee mike

I generally try to stay politically neutral but the incompetence of allowing sensitive documents which imply we may be spying on our allies is very disconcerting.
    countries don't like it when your stuff is exposed, or when you blow up their pipelines, etc

Slurry Pumper

Markets parked themselves at some pretty interesting levels at the close today. Waiting on the inflation numbers could be a catalyst moment going either way. One the one hand we have the inverse head and shoulders that is playing out with more room to run, and a bull flag pattern suggesting that the rally could continue, and on the other hand, a lousy report will probably see a drop to the 404ish level or lower which could spell doom.

I'm ready to play which ever way it goes, as a starter I placed a small bet on the bulls here in SPY, and IWM. Screw the QQQs, I think tech is dead and the people who have been buying that are soon to be wishing they didn't unless they are short time holders. Seems like the administration needs some good news and the notion that inflation is subsiding will certainly help while giving the fed a reason to say what he is doing is working and maybe 1 more little rate hike and he's done for the year.

ChuckyTheGoat

Markets parked themselves at some pretty interesting levels at the close today. Waiting on the inflation numbers could be a catalyst moment going either way. One the one hand we have the inverse head and shoulders that is playing out with more room to run, and a bull flag pattern suggesting that the rally could continue, and on the other hand, a lousy report will probably see a drop to the 404ish level or lower which could spell doom.

I'm ready to play which ever way it goes, as a starter I placed a small bet on the bulls here in SPY, and IWM. Screw the QQQs, I think tech is dead and the people who have been buying that are soon to be wishing they didn't unless they are short time holders. Seems like the administration needs some good news and the notion that inflation is subsiding will certainly help while giving the fed a reason to say what he is doing is working and maybe 1 more little rate hike and he's done for the year.
    Slurry:

*When you say "tech is dead"...give me a list of three sample Tech stocks that are over-priced.

Give me some tech stocks that are worth dumping. Thanks...and Good Luck!

Slurry Pumper

I don't like some of the Fangs like Apple, and Meta which have enjoyed a little run the last few months. Netflix is making a run at a huge break down monthly candle it produced last April. If that fails watch that sink like a stone.
    I think Chewy will come down to make a double bottom on the monthly at around $22 before I'm willing to step in there.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

yeah at this point you're better off with a 3.75% savings (amex) or buying 1-month or 2-month treasurys
    There's still savings and accounts and CD's paying way more. I have CIT savings at 4.7%. Have a few CD's at 5%, think they're still available. I locked in a 5 year 4.5% because within a year I think we'll be back under 3% for awhile.

milwaukee mike

There's still savings and accounts and CD's paying way more. I have CIT savings at 4.7%. Have a few CD's at 5%, think they're still available. I locked in a 5 year 4.5% because within a year I think we'll be back under 3% for awhile.
    wow that's at 4.75%, unreal... thanks for the tip, once my free $350 promo hits the amex i'm moving to that

for the 5-year stuff, i'd rather buy a preferred paying 9-10% with some huge extra upside if rates go down and the world doesn't come to an end (bhr-b, vno-o)

ChuckyTheGoat

Selling: WPC

...Hearing bad stuff about REITs and Commercial Real Estate.

First ... 375376377378379380381 ... Last