dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    No but from perspective of the site paying the prizes, it's still less expensive than paying them straight cash. The chances of the site recouping a percentage of the prize pool are higher with poker points that have to be converted to betpoints which has to be converted to a prize (which we don't even know will be bitcoin). 2% also seems a little generous. Look, I'm not disagreeing with you just believe the $ is worth a lot more than the points. Also, good luck finding someone to roll those points over. If you win a tournament it may take you a month to roll it over. And when did I insult you for spamming threads?
    Crypto thread

You compared me to Seaweed which I can't think of a much worse thing to do to a poster

Jake I don't remember seeing you playing Omaha Hi/Lo, but 400-600 point pots are a regular thing in there with a $3 rake. That's less than 1% and you can rollover very quickly playing that, a lot of people do. 2% is an estimate since it is a variable dependent on the poster which is why I didn't include it, but you can easily rollover for around 1% rake

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9208

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    that will be me.
    Thought you weren't going to play?!

Was planning to heckle you from the rail every time I saw you in one!!

How many points per week were you averaging last year? Probably around 350 at a guess? That's $14 in bitcoin. That might go down to $8/wk with this structure. Is that really such a killer? A buck fiddy a day less during weeklies.

Surprised so many only played for the points really. Seemed to have been a lot of blustering about who cashed more and yearly leaderboards that misled me.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    Crypto thread

You compared me to Seaweed which I can't think of a much worse thing to do to a poster

Jake I don't remember seeing you playing Omaha Hi/Lo, but 400-600 point pots are a regular thing in there with a $3 rake. That's less than 1% and you can rollover very quickly playing that, a lot of people do. 2% is an estimate since it is a variable dependent on the poster which is why I didn't include it, but you can easily rollover for around 1% rake
    Sure that was me? I’m not Jake ...don’t think i would have done that to you. I haven’t posted much in there because I’m just learning.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Sure that was me? I’m not Jake ...don’t think i would have done that to you. I haven’t posted much in there because I’m just learning.
    Wow, you’re right! I get you and Jake Peavy mixed up sometimes. My apologies

bobbywaves
    bobbywaves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 960

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Now Bobbywaves can flip away until his heart is content and it wont hurt anyone.
    Plan on it, business as usual.

So you're insinuating my flipping was hurting someone before? If flipping was hurting SBR as you suggest, SBR could have stated it's not allowed. Since flipping is allowed, it hurts nobody. Using flipping as an excuse as to why the "waterfall of pts" has stopped, falls miserably short.

Do you realize it takes two to flip, yet I'm singled out when I play cash games as well? There are a plethora of intelligent folks who flip, as I'm not the only one who values time.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5588

i will still play....but it won't be a ritual now.

as for points....it's a 70% decrease so not only do you get less in the winnings....myself (and others) will have much less to generate more points in the cash games (so it's a double whammy). as for last year i averaged 441 a week (or 672 with World Cup Winnings). so it wasn't a lot, but enough to fund a thing or two.

i guess we'll see where poker is a year from now if this is the new path will work. it may be as successful as ever....who knows.

but you have to admit....the great things to come in 2018 was MUCH overhyped. several have shown the math on that.

and lastly, since you are throwing jabs....shouldn't you be busy posting under the JJ account....or are you the off shift?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywaves View Post

So you're insinuating my flipping was hurting someone before? If flipping was hurting SBR as you suggest, SBR could have stated it's not allowed. Since flipping is allowed, it hurts nobody. Using flipping as an excuse as to why the "waterfall of pts" has stopped, falls miserably short.

Do you realize it takes two to flip, yet I'm singled out when I play cash games as well? There are a plethora of intelligent folks who flip, as I'm not the only one who values time.
    Bobby, I tried to explain to you a few times about how it hurts poker here. Not making rules we couldn't enforce did not change that. And this is the result. But whatever, we all have choices to make and there was nothing to stop you making yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    i will still play....but it won't be a ritual now.

as for points....it's a 70% decrease so not only do you get less in the winnings....myself (and others) will have much less to generate more points in the cash games (so it's a double whammy). as for last year i averaged 441 a week (or 672 with World Cup Winnings). so it wasn't a lot, but enough to fund a thing or two.

i guess we'll see where poker is a year from now if this is the new path will work. it may be as successful as ever....who knows.

but you have to admit....the great things to come in 2018 was MUCH overhyped. several have shown the math on that.

and lastly, since you are throwing jabs....shouldn't you be busy posting under the JJ account....or are you the off shift?
    What do you want me to say! I won 3 times last year. It's going to mean less points for sure, but end game I would love to see Monthly or bi-monthly promos with real tangible prizes, maybe a WSOP trip (even if not for the main event), maybe an end of year championship for monthly winners and leaderboard top 15 for a good prize and trophy of some sort. All of that is a LOT better than daily points.

And genuinely, has the strategy of handing twice as many points to poker players than Beat The Prick players for years really been that great for the site?

People love BTP and come and register on the site just to be part of it. people talk about on other forums. That's what we need from poker to get it worth showering with points. And these changes might end up being the start of that.

JJ been handling his own account mostly recently ;-)

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51409

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Bobby, I tried to explain to you a few times about how it hurts poker here. Not making rules we couldn't enforce did not change that. And this is the result. But whatever, we all have choices to make and there was nothing to stop you making yours.

What do you want me to say! I won 3 times last year. It's going to mean less points for sure, but end game I would love to see Monthly or bi-monthly promos with real tangible prizes, maybe a WSOP trip (even if not for the main event), maybe an end of year championship for monthly winners and leaderboard top 15 for a good prize and trophy of some sort. All of that is a LOT better than daily points.

And genuinely, has the strategy of handing twice as many points to poker players than Beat The Prick players for years really been that great for the site?

People love BTP and come and register on the site just to be part of it. people talk about on other forums. That's what we need from poker to get it worth showering with points. And these changes might end up being the start of that.

JJ been handling his own account mostly recently ;-)

I don't quite understand this Optional. Yes, I agree that if flipping was banned, it would not be easy to enforce. But is it any harder to enforce than chip dumping (which two people were caught doing recently) or flipping then evening out later? Don't really see why if both of those are forbidden that flat out flipping could not be banned also. Yes, it's possible people would still do it and get away with it, but most flippers I think would obey the rule if it was passed down - even if just out of fear of getting banned (if someone reports them as happened recently with some chip dumpers).

While the prizes given in the promos are always very generous, I think the reason why most people prefer the old style of dailies with no promo is simply because as nice as those prizes are - they end up going to only one or two people who happen to have the cards fall their way in the "final" tournament. In contrast, spreading out the prizes more by having higher prizes in the dailies with little/no promo rewards the more consistent players in the long-term rather than one or two who happen to get lucky in the final event. So while you can say that the good prizes at the end are much better than daily points - certainly some people might not agree with that (and I don't think either side is "correct" in that - it's just a matter of opinion).

The WSOP main event seat has always been a super nice prize/promotion when they've had it, but once again it rewards one super lucky member. If SBR was inclined to do that again, I personally would vote for having say five seats to $1000/$1500 buyin events. Similar/lower cost to SBR, rewards more members, and more publicity for SBR with five players competing wearing their gear in Las Vegas rather than just one. Only my opinion again, but I think the majority of posters would generally favor contests which reward long-term commitment/good play rather than one very high variance tournament - in effect that was what having the current dailies with no promotion kind of did compared to the upcoming format. Beat the Prick/Beat the Bag do a fantastic job of doing exactly that - rather than say having the Top 100 in Beat the Prick in regular season compete, each starting at even, for the top prizes in an NFL Playoff Contest (which is sort of what is happening in poker).

Anyway, just my opinion, and I think this has been covered before. At end of the day, SBR could just stop running poker altogether since it may not be providing them the return they want. And that would obviously be disappointing so no one ought to go nuts if they don't like it - just skip it if you don't like it. That said, I do hope if there is consistent constructive criticism of some general policy (poker or not) that SBR takes that feedback into account when planning future things.
    Points Awarded:

Jayvegas420 gave ArunSh 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

silvap
    silvap's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15387

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post

While the prizes given in the promos are always very generous, I think the reason why most people prefer the old style of dailies with no promo is simply because as nice as those prizes are - they end up going to only one or two people who happen to have the cards fall their way in the "final" tournament. In contrast, spreading out the prizes more by having higher prizes in the dailies with little/no promo rewards the more consistent players in the long-term rather than one or two who happen to get lucky in the final event. So while you can say that the good prizes at the end are much better than daily points - certainly some people might not agree with that (and I don't think either side is "correct" in that - it's just a matter of opinion).

totaly agree with Arunsh here - spreading out more points seems to me much preferable than two players running good in the last tournament and making cash.

Optional

I agree more prizes for more people would be good. Maybe 5 seats to the Crazy 8s tourney instead of one main event seat. Maybe 1 seat at different events over the month or so it runs. Maybe just smaller monthly prizes and a real big end if year tourney.

But poker has to be a success before that sort of stuff can be justified. It's been going nowhere much for a while. I still think it is exciting that Drew announced a new contest and changes. If it doesn't work, hopefully he will adjust until it does.

Good luck for the Spring Event

Fire in da hole
    Fire in da hole's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1120

bunch of fkn scrubs playing for crumbs....

You guys are telling me you're playing SBR poker for the money?????

Play because its free and fun, otherwise take your ball and go home.

Yes, everyone sees there is a decrease in daily pts, nobody is forcing anyone to play.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: franklee168

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Fire in da hole View Post
    bunch of fkn scrubs playing for crumbs....

You guys are telling me you're playing SBR poker for the money?????

Play because its free and fun, otherwise take your ball and go home.

Yes, everyone sees there is a decrease in daily pts, nobody is forcing anyone to play.

summing this promo up:

what a f'n dud.....

just go ahead and dump poker altogether.....

the rigged shithole programming sucks, no one really gives a shit at sbr about it, and biter is gone....

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Happens to me too

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

You learned my secret

Quote Originally Posted by 4uk4life View Post
    I don't think it'll take longer for each tournament, you'll have 25 people shoving every hand to either double up or get it out of the way.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

Yes I've taken this route before when I really had other things to do - so doubling up or being out quickly always had merit!

I think many of the complaints in this thread are a bit unfounded - as mentioned earlier for long time poker players here have asked to get the promotions back with a shorter qualifying etc. time, which this does exactly - at the cost of the dailies being less lucrative. So part good, part bad, not necessarily something to immediately shun.

While I feel that's the case, I do have to agree with one general sentiment. That being that SBR had to know this change would not be met with enthusiasm from the player base - after five years or so of having the same daily format, to make it drastically worse in that regard - obviously they had to know that would upset people (whether those posters were justified or not). And that being so, announcing it ahead of time as "what a fantastic 2018 we have in store for you" - well people feeling that they were mislead/that that was simply false hype, can't entirely blame them for that. I agree that the reaction would have been much less harsh if they had simply changed it without an initial announcement or hinted at what was going to actually happen without building up people's hopes (even if unintentionally).
    Yeah, pretty obvious these guys suck at marketing. This is like a company saying we have a great year in store then laying off half their employees the next day.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Very true about time being valuable. That is why most people I assume (myself included) when we play SBR poker do other things at the same time. Grind on other sites, surf the net, watch youtube videos - whatever really. That has always been what made it worthwhile - while doing those sorts of activities that I enjoy/would do anyway, adding one table of playing an SBR tournament is no big deal. Otherwise I would agree that no way it's worth the time.
    As do I. I have a plethora of sites I can multi table though.

I played for the contests and bull shitting... But this went from peanuts to shells

Either way, whoever is playing, enjoy the contest

thechaoz

It's all good. Like you said, writing is on the wall,. Maybe sbr could snag a decent sponsor or two and turn the thing around.

Chili_Powder
    Chili_Powder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

No but from perspective of the site paying the prizes, it's still less expensive than paying them straight cash. The chances of the site recouping a percentage of the prize pool are higher with poker points that have to be converted to betpoints which has to be converted to a prize (which we don't even know will be bitcoin). 2% also seems a little generous. Look, I'm not disagreeing with you just believe the $ is worth a lot more than the points. Also, good luck finding someone to roll those points over. If you win a tournament it may take you a month to roll it over. And when did I insult you for spamming threads?
    Crypto thread

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Happens to me too
    I'm always getting those guys mixed up
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GUMMO77

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26107

lol @everyone complaining, but they will play anyway.

Don' be begging for new contest after this one.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stevek173

leovegas
    leovegas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 329

Are tournaments going to have same blind structure, like now?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

What will the cutoff be for the top 100? I would say around 500 points.
    Last edited by thetrinity; 01-14-18 at 08:31 AM.

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

deleted

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywaves View Post

The hate against flipping is full blow full retard. SBR gets max hands/hour, almost certaintly max rake per hand and a frenzied pace. SBR has no problem with flipping I can assure you.

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    lol @everyone complaining, but they will play anyway.

Don' be begging for new contest after this one.
    We won't . By biggest grip is the reduction in the daily points, no the contest payouts. Frankly, that's where most of us will make our money unless we finish in the top 5 or so. I've finished 5 and 7th I believe the last few years, but the tourney is just a bonus. The real points is made in grinding the dailies.

EDIT: Would you like to make a wager. How much if I don't play
    Lets make a wager. I won't play one single daily from the start of the contest to the end? I'll even give you odds. How about 3:1. Your 6k :My 18k if I play in one single daily? I'm not a broke ho and would like a sizable wager. Escrow of course, someone like LT (after getting ripped off by astro I'm tedious to trust a non employee frankly)
    The new daily structure it's meh. Like I said it may be "free", but I pay to be a pro and view their advertising so it's a mutual relationship. It's not like we are total freeloaders
    Last edited by thechaoz; 01-14-18 at 11:52 AM.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Good luck to those who will play in this promo. Being at 2 bashes, the IFBC, cashing in the bash and IFBC poker tourneys, and buying Bitcoin at 6400 WITH BETPOINTS I'd be quite a hypocrite to complain about anything with this promo.......MPASH nailed it with his post...I too have met some great guys here who I consider life long friends and thank SBR for that.
    Points Awarded:

sinmiedo gave USCPHILLYGUY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3623

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    The hate against flipping is full blow full retard. SBR gets max hands/hour, almost certaintly max rake per hand and a frenzied pace. SBR has no problem with flipping I can assure you.
    I remember sitting at tables when two guys were flipping and they would start crying. Might have to start doing that again just to piss em off.

pokerdevil
    pokerdevil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

To everyone complaining: IT'S FREE

Shouldn't be too tough to get top 100. I plan to go all-in blind a lot and still get in

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13678

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    What will the cutoff be for the top 100? I would say around 500 points.
    playing twice a week should do it

JD426
    JD426's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3966

I can't believe there's still no way to play via phone or tablet. Regardless of point structure, how many people want to sit in front of a computer or laptop in order to play? Any effort to make poker accessible on ipads or android so that it's actually convenient for people?

dtp
    dtp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 231

In my opinion, SBR has never made the qualifying period of their poker promos worth nearly enough. This 2 month qualifying where the top 100 all get the same prize (entry into the final). There's basically no point as people have said it's the same whether you get 100th or 1st.

Would be much more simple and more competitive to just have monthly leaderboards based on the daily tourneys and award most of the promo money to the top 20 or so each month. Then give those 20 a spot in a monthly leaderboard freeroll tourney, maybe even adjusting starting stack sizes based on the leaderboard or a similar quirk.

That would be the baseline for sbr to start with...it gives new members bragging rights each month....gives everyone incentive to play daily and there would be a lot less complaining I guarantee that.

Then SBR could implement other promos on top of the montly leaderboard....and obviously something for the yearly leaderboard..maybe even quarterly, etc

One more thing I've mentioned before is that the world cup poker thing is an absolute joke in almost all aspects. I strongly suggest doing away with that.

I'm not trying to hate on SBR, but they have not used their poker promos very well over the years imo. I and many other members here are long time poker players who know what they're talking about but SBR has tended to go with their own ideas over the years.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

new sbr poker mod Drewella displaying what the typical poker dillhole can expect from her and the rest of the sbr crew from here on out:

Drewella can really shake her ass.....

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by dtp View Post
    In my opinion, SBR has never made the qualifying period of their poker promos worth nearly enough. This 2 month qualifying where the top 100 all get the same prize (entry into the final). There's basically no point as people have said it's the same whether you get 100th or 1st.

Would be much more simple and more competitive to just have monthly leaderboards based on the daily tourneys and award most of the promo money to the top 20 or so each month. Then give those 20 a spot in a monthly leaderboard freeroll tourney, maybe even adjusting starting stack sizes based on the leaderboard or a similar quirk.

That would be the baseline for sbr to start with...it gives new members bragging rights each month....gives everyone incentive to play daily and there would be a lot less complaining I guarantee that.

Then SBR could implement other promos on top of the montly leaderboard....and obviously something for the yearly leaderboard..maybe even quarterly, etc

One more thing I've mentioned before is that the world cup poker thing is an absolute joke in almost all aspects. I strongly suggest doing away with that.

I'm not trying to hate on SBR, but they have not used their poker promos very well over the years imo. I and many other members here are long time poker players who know what they're talking about but SBR has tended to go with their own ideas over the years.
    Pretty well said, although before at least 1st place had considerably more points won than 100th. That won't happen anymore.

MrSink
    MrSink's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4888

nice format. I like it. Gl to all !

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24611

I'm not too worried about the specifics. Just happy to hear that Tournament Poker is back in the mix.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stevek173

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by convick View Post
    I remember sitting at tables when two guys were flipping and they would start crying. Might have to start doing that again just to piss em off.
    OK.. If you got that kind of time in your life

I'd recommend getting one instead

First ... 3456789 ... Last