Tennessee to hire Bama DC Pruitt

amazing hire.

especially after the last month. hopefully doesnt fall apart

suppose to be announced today

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10238

Yup.

Fulmer and Pruitt looking good for the Vols. After a shitshow process it looks like Tenn came out smelling like roses.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28986

agree. Fulmer saves the day

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Vols are desparate. Will be looking for another coach in 3-4 years. Tennessee is not close to winning anything significant anytime soon. Unrealistic expectations. Pruitt is a defensive guru, Tennessee can't score enough or keep teams from scoring.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10238

Exactly Seaborg.
    Not one to claim Tenn will become world beaters but I was commenting on the hiring process that was swirling down the crapper.
    Not a Vol backer by any stretch but they can only look up from this season.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

yeah not sure who said anything about how good they would be

great hire and great recruiter

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Pruitt is a good coordinator, skeptical that he’ll work out as a HC in the environment at tennessse. He butted heads at FSU & Georgia with Mark Richt. He’s not going to like working for the Great Pumpkin

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

I remember watching him on Two A Days, the MTV series about Hoover, AL football. I liked the series. Anyone else watch it? Must have been on 8-9 years ago now.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

This is a safe hire. Tennessee will not be expected to do much in 2018. A minor bowl bid is about right as far as expectations are concerned. Tennessee will finally be out of the headlights. Maybe they can actually improve now that they will not be constantly in the headlines.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 5mike5

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

I think the new administration understands that Tennessee is not a program that good coaches will just up and leave their cushy jobs for. Was arrogant to think otherwise.

No idea how the hire will work out. Butch Jones was a great recruiter believe it or not, just couldn't coach them up.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

How many of his recruits were All American? How many went pro? It would be interesting to know just how bad a job Jones actually did.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    How many of his recruits were All American? How many went pro? It would be interesting to know just how bad a job Jones actually did.
    All of that has much more to do with development than it does recruiting.

But since we're talking about recruiting and all...

4th in the nation in 2015 - https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Fo...teTeamRankings

14th in 2016 - https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...teTeamRankings

All of this for a program that wasn't dominant at all.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

after that debaxke.i just didnt think.we would.get that good of a coach not saying he will be a great HC right outta he gate, but hes been real good in his coordinater positions. better than T. Martin i know that. being under saban for yrs doesnt hurt either. just thankfully the circus is over and we didnt end up with a pathetic hire like it would be cause nobody wanted it to.this

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    I think the new administration understands that Tennessee is not a program that good coaches will just up and leave their cushy jobs for. Was arrogant to think otherwise.

No idea how the hire will work out. Butch Jones was a great recruiter believe it or not, just couldn't coach them up.
    This

Was shocked to hear about all the names thrown out. Mike Gundy? Really...can't believe he even wasted 5 minutes talking to Tennessee.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    All of that has much more to do with development than it does recruiting.

But since we're talking about recruiting and all...

4th in the nation in 2015 - https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Fo...teTeamRankings

14th in 2016 - https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...teTeamRankings

All of this for a program that wasn't dominant at all.
    If you separate recruting from coaching he may be the worst coach of all time.

And now if he lands anywhere he probably wont even be a good recruiter since there is so much evidence that he cant help guys improve and ultimately get to the next level.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    If you separate recruting from coaching he may be the worst coach of all time.

And now if he lands anywhere he probably wont even be a good recruiter since there is so much evidence that he cant help guys improve and ultimately get to the next level.
    I'm sure he'll punch above his weight recruiting-wise at Eastern Kentucky, if he's lucky enough to land there (good program actually).

In basketball, I had to sit through amazing recruiters at Mizzou with Quin Snyder and later at UNLV with Dave Rice, neither of which could coach their way out of a wet paper bag (Quin got a lot better when he got off the powder). The worst thing about coaches like this is they stay at programs longer than they should because people love the recruiting and don't want to lose getting top 50 players every year, even though they usually leave or really really underperform.

And going after Gundy was hilarious. I understand a top-down approach and all, but good Lord.