packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3435

Quote Originally Posted by cashin81 View Post
    Portugal had Faroes, Hungary, Andorra, Latvia - with their "difficult" games being against Hungary/Swiss.

Scored 28 in 8 games, how was this not an wasy group?
    And yet their second in their group,it doesn't matter about the scrub teams,its those top three teams you need to worry about,France has Sweden only one point behind and Holland who can jump on them if France messes up against Bulgaria today somehow and Holland beats Belarus,and they could be fighting for 2nd with one game left.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2376

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    And yet their second in their group,it doesn't matter about the scrub teams,its those top three teams you need to worry about,France has Sweden only one point behind and Holland who can jump on them if France messes up against Bulgaria today somehow and Holland beats Belarus,and they could be fighting for 2nd with one game left.
    Argentina would swap for Portugals group all day.

Nothing is guaranteed you are right. But im saying on paper all Portugal had to do was get the better of Swiss, hold against hungary.
    Thats all they had to do - whether they do or not is on them.

But Argeentina have all those top teams, and no one wants to go bolivia.
    Would England swap their group for SA?

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Isn't Australia and Syria in a 2 leg playoff, where the first leg was a 1-1 draw in Syria?

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by cashin81 View Post
    Argentina would swap for Portugals group all day.

Nothing is guaranteed you are right. But im saying on paper all Portugal had to do was get the better of Swiss, hold against hungary.
    Thats all they had to do - whether they do or not is on them.

But Argeentina have all those top teams, and no one wants to go bolivia.
    Would England swap their group for SA?
    If Argentina cant score on these guys why would it be different in Europe.You think England wouldn't give up any of their players for Messi,they were gifted a top star,we haven't had that sort of luxury in along time.Count youre blessings.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    Isn't Australia and Syria in a 2 leg playoff, where the first leg was a 1-1 draw in Syria?
    Their you go Funny,Soccer can be fickle,unless youre a top flight Country like Germany,these sorts of mini series can be tough.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Their you go Funny,Soccer can be fickle,unless youre a top flight Country like Germany,these sorts of mini series can be tough.
    Only reason I mentioned that is because I was trying to explain to Optional that was the case, but he didn't think it was. Started to wonder if I was incorrect...

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Only reason I mentioned that is because I was trying to explain to Optional that was the case, but he didn't think it was. Started to wonder if I was incorrect...
    You must have misunderstood me. I knew that all along about Aussies.

You were telling me Israel v Lichtenstein did not play two legs in quali group, home and away. And I was saying that was weird if true.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    You must have misunderstood me. I knew that all along about Aussies.

You were telling me Israel v Lichtenstein did not play two legs in quali group, home and away. And I was saying that was weird if true.
    None of the actual group matches are 2 legs....It is only if there is a playoff to see who advances is what I was also saying..LOL

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

None of the actual group matches are 2 legs....It is only if there is a playoff to see who advances is what I was also saying..LOL
    Yeah that's definitely what you said.

But i am pretty sure most (all) groups do have each team play each other twice. Home and Away.

Sure it's not a playoff with aggregate of thee two matches meaning anything like a playoff but they still have two legs against each team in group.

Anyway, doesnt really matter.

Just need Aussies to dispatch Syria next week at home to setup AUS v USA playoff series for the very last spot in the 32. (not sure either team deserves it fully this time though)

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

No one cares about Argentina or Messi. This ain't club football.

There's prop for -175 if you are that confident.

How about Messi AND Ronaldo missing the World Cup...That would be great.
    They don't do anything anyway so what's the point of them being there.
    Score a goal against Nigeria

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Lewandowski has 15 goals in 9 games.
    Argentina has 16 goals in 17 games.

LOL

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6446

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Packerd I know every player on every national team, I've probably been watching the World Cup longer than you've been alive. I called a German Argentina finals last time, and I called Spain to win it all and the Dutch to beat Brazil that year as well.

Don't know nothing? The English are a joke. No one cares about England. England is nothing. No one wants to watch England in the finals instead of a stacked team like Germany with world-class players at every single position. The best player on England doesn't even make the starting lineup for Germany. F you smoking?

I dominate every year in the world cup. Ask Lakerman.
    England making the finals would be akin to the Cubs making the World Series. The ratings would be through the roof. Argentina just another example of a star-laden team that under performs on a regular basis.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

steven12
    Not a Pro
    steven12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 373

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Argentina needs to beat Ecuador in Ecuador (which is in altitude) and Argentina RARELY wins there. Without Messi, the World Cup ratings will be way down. Game sales will be down. FIFA will take a big hit. Argentina shouldn't need the refs to step in, but should they have to, I don't see why they wouldn't. Argentina needs to beat Ecuador, and then they'll advance to the playoffs to play New Zealand (unless other results happen, wherein Argentina can secure a World Cup bid with a win and some losses).

Would be completely insane if a nation like Argentina, the favorite to win the world cup several months back, were to not even make the tournament...
    Who says that Argentina missed world cup 2018 ? I believe that we will see Messi in world cup 2018 Russia.
    be patient and watch the action.

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

Goat Milk clueless as always. Messi not being there will have zero impact on numbers of viewers.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    England making the finals would be akin to the Cubs making the World Series. The ratings would be through the roof. Argentina just another example of a star-laden team that under performs on a regular basis.
    They lost in the final last time to the favorite

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by jayc88 View Post
    Goat Milk clueless as always. Messi not being there will have zero impact on numbers of viewers.
    Ya seriously, this isn't the NBA.

steven12
    Not a Pro

Can't imagine world cup matches without Messi, like playing chess without king.
    I'm sure Gianni Infantino can't imagine world cup without Messi too

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

Have no idea what's going on here -- assuming Argentina was eliminated soon after this post was made, correct?

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    Have no idea what's going on here -- assuming Argentina was eliminated soon after this post was made, correct?
    they are playing tomorrow. assuming argentina wins, they will qualify

they could qualify with a draw as well if colombia beats peru

this thread is nuts in any case

argentina is one of the best teams in the world, playing a bad opponent with no motivation since they are already disqualified, which is why they are -200 favorites

a win for argentina is the most likely outcome, suggesting they can only win if they have help is illogical

that being said, I have no sympathy for messi or argentina, if messi wanted to play in the world cup maybe he should have been playing in the qualification games and not taking the opportunity to rest

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32186

People who do not even know what a goal or a yellow card even mean watch the World Cup
    10 yard penalty, loss of down.

I am sharp.

PapaStef
    PapaStef's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1970

So everyone on Argentina tonight??? No way that good of a squad goes out to a poor Ecuador team... Even if it is away from home for Argentina.

steven12
    Not a Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStef View Post
    So everyone on Argentina tonight???
    No, I took Ecuador +0.5 handicap @2.90

But I hope and believe that even if Argentina will not win somehow they will qualify for world cup 2018

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    they are playing tomorrow. assuming argentina wins, they will qualify

they could qualify with a draw as well if colombia beats peru

this thread is nuts in any case

argentina is one of the best teams in the world, playing a bad opponent with no motivation since they are already disqualified, which is why they are -200 favorites

a win for argentina is the most likely outcome, suggesting they can only win if they have help is illogical

that being said, I have no sympathy for messi or argentina, if messi wanted to play in the world cup maybe he should have been playing in the qualification games and not taking the opportunity to rest
    Thanks for the info. So just to clarify, if both games draw, is Argentina in? Or do they need Colombia to beat Peru to qualify with a draw?

lom bylyri
    lom bylyri's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Argentina is win and you're in. Ecuador nothing to play for, but pride. Strange as it may sound, Argentina can even get the four spot and qualify directly. They need to beat Ecuador with better goal difference than Peru beats Colombia ( assuming that happens ). Peru vs Colombia is the game to watch. Everything on the line. It's a holy mess, because Chile is involved also. And if they lose to Brasil ( playing without Vidal), they are out.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...22/groups.html

TEAMS MP W D L GF GA +/- Pts
    BRAZIL
    17 11 5 1 38 11 27 38
    URUGUAY
    17 8 4 5 28 18 10 28
    CHILE
    17 8 2 7 26 24 2 26
    COLOMBIA
    17 7 5 5 20 18 2 26
    PERU
    17 7 4 6 26 25 1 25
    ARGENTINA
    17 6 7 4 16 15 1 25

TEAMS MP W D L GF GA +/- Pts
    BRAZIL
    17 11 5 1 38 11 27 38
    URUGUAY
    17 8 4 5 28 18 10 28
    CHILE
    17 8 2 7 26 24 2 26
    COLOMBIA
    17 7 5 5 20 18 2 26
    PERU
    17 7 4 6 26 25 1 25
    ARGENTINA
    17 6 7 4 16 15 1 25
    Last edited by lom bylyri; 10-10-17 at 09:50 AM.

MaddyMax
    MaddyMax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Dude, soccer fans are not like american sports fan. they are die hard fans of the team and sport even if the entire bench team plays over the starters.

Messi playing or not will have zero effect on world cup viewership.

MaddyMax

Quote Originally Posted by steven12 View Post
    Can't imagine world cup matches without Messi, like playing chess without king.
    I'm sure Gianni Infantino can't imagine world cup without Messi too

The right way to say is can't imagine world cup without argentina.

messi, ronaldo or any starts not playing will have zero impact on world cup viewership.

lakerboy

Anyone who thinks Messi or Ronaldo not being there will have no impact on viewership is a fool. These players attract tons of viewers. Look at there following on social media. Messi is the biggest name athlete on earth

lom bylyri

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Anyone who thinks Messi or Ronaldo not being there will have no impact on viewership is a fool. These players attract tons of viewers. Look at there following on social media. Messi is the biggest name athlete on earth
    With all due respect, it's a little different from all the american sports. Once every four years, the most popular game on the planet is an event that even Messi and all of his relatives will not miss, him being there or not. This notion that there is even one soccer crazy soul out there that will think : " Oh, Messi not playing ? I'm bailing on this WC thing " is totally insane. We watch MLS that doesn't even smell like football ( soccer, that is ).

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by lom bylyri View Post
    With all due respect, it's a little different from all the american sports. Once every four years, the most popular game on the planet is an event that even Messi and all of his relatives will not miss, him being there or not. This notion that there is even one soccer crazy soul out there that will think : " Oh, Messi not playing ? I'm bailing in this WC thing " is totally insane. We watch MLS that doesn't even smell like football ( soccer, that is ).
    It's not about not watching the whole tourney
    I'm talking about the games Argentina will play in if he wasn't there. Do you go to bars during the tourney? Star power attracts more viewers. Why do you think the big soccer nations have all the seeding weighted in their favor? So they can all advance deep and avoid knocking each other out. Obviously I will watch the tourney regardless of which nations are there cause I love the game but I think you might have missed the last tourney. The final which Argentina was in was the highest viewed Match ever. I can assure you if Argentina was replaced by Holland that would not have been the case.

lom bylyri

It's not about not watching the whole tourney
    I'm talking about the games Argentina will play in if he wasn't there. Do you go to bars during the tourney? Star power attracts more viewers. Why do you think the big soccer nations have all the seeding weighted in their favor? So they can all advance deep and avoid knocking each other out. Obviously I will watch the tourney regardless of which nations are there cause I love the game but I think you might have missed the last tourney. The final which Argentina was in was the highest viewed Match ever. I can assure you if Argentina was replaced by Holland that would not have been the case.
    The ratings get influenced either up or down by only the casual fan. If you consider yourself a true soccer fan you don't miss the World Cup with or without Messi. What can I tell you. If you never lived in one of these countries you can not understand. This notion " die hard " fan doesn't exist in the soccer crazy world, outside the US. You either are a football ( soccer) fan or you are not. There is nothing in between. Casual soccer fans are only in US of A. I hope I'm not being too confusing, but it is a totally different way of thinking or perception of being a fan in the USA and a soccer fan outside the continent. I've experienced both.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

lakerboy

The ratings get influenced either up or down by only the casual fan. If you consider yourself a true soccer fan you don't miss the World Cup with or without Messi. What can I tell you. If you never lived in one of these countries you can not understand. This notion " die hard " fan doesn't exist in the soccer crazy world, outside the US. You either are a football ( soccer) fan or you are not. There is nothing in between. Casual soccer fans are only in US of A. I hope I'm not being too confusing, but it is a totally different way of thinking or perception of being a fan in the USA and a soccer fan outside the continent. I've experienced both.
    Your first line is correct. That's my whole point. The casual fan only knows big names.

MaddyMax

Lakerboy, soccer is not american sport.

even if the entire starting line up of portugal or argentina is banged up and they play with substitutes, the fans would still go to the bar if they were already going to go.....they go to watch their team. especially in a stage like world cup, star players will have no effect on viewership.

lom bylyri

Your first line is correct. That's my whole point. The casual fan only knows big names.
    I think FIFA already's given up on US casual fan. They tried ,but you can not make Earl like a game that ends 0-0. Who's going to watch, is going to regardless. To the majority, you might as well dress up somebody else with the number 10 jersey and Messi's name on the back and they wouldn't notice. America was about to hang Klinsmann when he said correctly: " Our chances of winning the Brazil WC are zero ". I hope you remember the shit storm he faced. All soccer moms were like : That's not the american way of doing things, why are you even going if you have the loser's mentality and blah, blah, blah. Poor guy was only stating the reality.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

With all due respect, it's a little different from all the american sports. Once every four years, the most popular game on the planet is an event that even Messi and all of his relatives will not miss, him being there or not. This notion that there is even one soccer crazy soul out there that will think : " Oh, Messi not playing ? I'm bailing on this WC thing " is totally insane. We watch MLS that doesn't even smell like football ( soccer, that is ).
    You're saying arguably the greatest player in the history of the sport will not have an impact on the World Cup? WTF are you saying bro? Do you realize how much FIFA markets players like this throughout history? We're not even mentioning Argentina who is a South American powerhouse.

We'll obviously still watch the world cup but a lot of people are not gonna tune into group stage matches of two shit teams, when it's more likely they would tune in with an Argentina versus a shit team.

Marketing 101. Don't care where you live in the world. Same principles apply.

In a bar in Naples Italy they have a bottle of tears from when Maradona was traded.

You don't think ppl care about Argentina being in or out?

Lol.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

And btw to that guy, i'm not saying Argentina needs help to win this game from the refs.

I'm saying IF they struggle, the refs will help them.

There's no other way around it.

The fav to win the World Cup 2 months ago isn't missing the tournament.

First 123 Last