milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Nasher I was just looking around at guys numbers the other day and it was incredible to me how few guys I found that actually had more walks than strikeouts. I'm sure I missed a few cause I was just looking at guys in starting lineups that particular day. The list seemed incredibly small tho.

I'm not a big fan of this new way of thinking that it ok to strikeout all the fukkin time! It's the reason every night you see so many times a team has guys in scoring position less than 2 outs and don't score a freaking run. I find it incredibly frustrating that in general guys don't seem to be willing to do the little things that help a team win as they seem more concerned w getting their 20+ knocks strikeouts be damned no matter the situation.
    good points

seems like the sabermetric guys rule the thinking process... after the numbers said strikeouts didn't matter as much as people thought, let's all swing out of our shoes!

runner on 3rd less than 2 outs seems like an automatic run, but especially with the infield in, it's not even close to a gimme to hit a long fly out for a lot of guys.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    good points

seems like the sabermetric guys rule the thinking process... after the numbers said strikeouts didn't matter as much as people thought, let's all swing out of our shoes!

runner on 3rd less than 2 outs seems like an automatic run, but especially with the infield in, it's not even close to a gimme to hit a long fly out for a lot of guys.
    Hell with the infield in it incredibly easy to get a hit on what would normally be a routine ground out but nobody willing to choke up and make contact as that doesn't get rewarded come contract time.

it's insane how many guys now strikeout 200 + times a year. That used to be embarrassing now it the norm. I understand the logic to a extent but surely there some kind of happy medium where guys can still choke up and play situational baseball when the spot calls for it then go back to swinging for the fences at appropriate times. Unfortunately I think most guys mindsets are they have 4 abs a night to put up power numbers so situation be damned they not missing a chance to pad the stats that count come contract time.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by SBRMAN23 View Post
    Hes a joy to watch and def one of the underrated greats hope he breaks it and continues for awhile. At one pt i think this guy had a streak of never fouling out to 1st base side or something crazy i dont remembr
    Yea I recall hearing something similar in past but don't exactly remember what it was, something similar to what you said. Speaking to him not being out in front cause he sits back on the ball so well.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    In the history of baseball Joey Votto ranks 12th most difficult out.
    Impressive.

bigbubbafade
    bigbubbafade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2456

Votto never scared me if he came up to the plate against my team. Maybe it's because the Reds have stunk for so long and he doesn't have support. Some players come up to the plate and you think, 'Oh crap'. Not Votto.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by bigbubbafade View Post
    Votto never scared me if he came up to the plate against my team. Maybe it's because the Reds have stunk for so long and he doesn't have support. Some players come up to the plate and you think, 'Oh crap'. Not Votto.
    Really? As a cards fan I've seen him a ton and never wanted to see him up with guys on in a big spot. Honestly think he up there w guys I'd least want to see.

bigbubbafade
    bigbubbafade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2456

Really? As a cards fan I've seen him a ton and never wanted to see him up with guys on in a big spot. Honestly think he up there w guys I'd least want to see.
    I think it also has to do with the team. The Reds have never scared the Cards over a long timeframe...
    Think Braun in the Brewers hay day. McCutchen recently, the killer B's, etc. Seems like it mattered more because there was more on the line.

2daBank

I think it also has to do with the team. The Reds have never scared the Cards over a long timeframe...
    Think Braun in the Brewers hay day. McCutchen recently, the killer B's, etc. Seems like it mattered more because there was more on the line.
    Yea I guess but honestky until recently (last 2 years) the whole division has pretty much been cards whipping boys for so long. Feel like reds have actually been more a thorn in their sides than milw or Pitt. Maybe it just my perception cause the animosity between the 2 going back to that huge brawl when Phillips was on cincy.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Not tonight, but he's usually got Duvall hitting behind him, Duvall has 31 double and 27 homers hiting behind Votto, and Cozart hitting in front of him, he has 17 homers and hits .313
    Including Votto's 31 homers Reds have 5 everyday players with 20 or more homers.
    Reds are a top ten baseball club in every team power stats.
    Half the lineup can go deep at anytime, and they've got the fastest and best base stealer in the game at the top of the order.

So what's the problem?
    Pitching wins, and the Reds ain't got it.
    The pitching staff is a laughing stock, it's the staff from hell.
    I don't even know who to call the staff ace.
    Scott Feldman? Bronson Arroyo? Luis Castillo? Tim Adleman?

They're 50 and 70 because they lose 8-6 games, but know this, the offense is scary.

2daBank

Yea there nothing wrong w reds offense that for sure. Other than Castillo the rotation filled w bums and Castillo still raw.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Cal Ripken Jr's Iron Man Record... Best Ever in my book.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It's very easy to hit when you're team is never in contention so you have to throw that into the equation

Hitting doesn't when pitching does

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

^
    Not to mention Homer Bailey

Holy shit, Duvall just came off the bench to hit for the pitcher and hit a freaking bomb to tie it up.
    6-6 now, Cozart hit a homer inning earlier.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It's very easy to hit when you're team is never in contention so you have to throw that into the equation

Hitting doesn't when pitching does
    Why is hitting easier if your team not in contention? They still facing the same teams and pitchers as everyone else. Don't understand this at all?

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

worthless stat

nobody gives a shit about how many games in a row you reached base twice in
    Post a play

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

ok sam losco... a month from now ask 10 random baseball fans who holds the record for games in a row, in which they reached base twice or more

9/10 will laugh and 0/10 will know the answer
    Does not diminish the feat. Not his fault people don't care about consistency.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Why is hitting easier if your team not in contention? They still facing the same teams and pitchers as everyone else. Don't understand this at all?
    No pressure
    Put him on Yankees and I bet he is not as good

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26823

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Cal Ripken Jr's Iron Man Record... Best Ever in my book.
    cy young win record will never be broken

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13690

ok sam losco... a month from now ask 10 random baseball fans who holds the record for games in a row, in which they reached base twice or more

9/10 will laugh and 0/10 will know the answer
    you dont find reaching base 2 times each game for 20 straight games impressive? theres tons of records i couldnt tell you who holds them, doesnt make it any less impressive

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13690

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    In the history of baseball Joey Votto ranks 12th most difficult out.
    out of curiosity, whos ahead?

First 12