Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Austin Jackson catch.... Rule Change?

helluva catch....

i thought there was a rule that the player had to stay on the field of play to record the out.....

and if you go over the fence when robbin' a home run, it was a home run.... anyone know the mlb rulebook no. on this one?

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

The fence is arbitrary. The field is infinate between the poles. The ball is live until it touches a fan or foul ground or recorded as a put out.

Another poster had similar inquiry about foul balls touched in fair territory.

Auto Donk

well, i do recall ground balls starting foul down the base line, and due to shitty grounds keepin' on my high school field, bouncing back into fair territory before passing the base on either the third or first base line, and being ruled fair... (despite having originally touched "foul ground".... guess the umps were fooked, or maybe uil rules were different.....

also, seats and facades beyond the fence indicate that the fence isn't arbitrary, otherwise outfielders could play home runs that don't touch a fan off the facades beyond the yellow boundary markers, or one that hits a metal seat without touching a fan, and riccochets back onto the field......
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 08-02-17 at 08:40 AM.

Auto Donk

Auto Donk

5.09 Making an Out(a) (6.05) Retiring the BatterA batter is out when1) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legallycaught by a fielder;Rule 5.09(a)(1) Comment (Rule 6.05(a ) Comment): A fieldermay reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch, andif he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, inorder to make a catch on a foul ball nearing a dugout or otherout-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or bothfeet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of thedugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout or inany other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder,after making a legal catch, steps or falls into a dugout or other2017 Official Baseball Rules_2017 Official Baseball Rules 3/27/17 8:58 PM Page 39Rule 5.09(a)40out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runnersshall be as described in Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C) Comment(Rule 7.04(c) Comment).A catch is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in hishand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing hedoes not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniformin getting possession. It is not a catch, however, if simultaneouslyor immediately following his contact with the ball, he collideswith a player, or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result ofsuch collision or falling, drops the ball. It is not a catch if a fieldertouches a fly ball which then hits a member of the offensive team oran umpire and then is caught by another defensive player. In establishingthe validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball longenough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that hisrelease of the ball is voluntary and intentional. If the fielder hasmade the catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throwfollowing the catch, the ball shall be adjudged to have been caught.Catch Comment: A catch is legal if the ball is finally held byany fielder, even though juggled, or held by another fielderbefore it touches the ground. Runners may leave their bases theinstant the first fielder touches the ball. A fielder may reachover a fence, railing, rope or other line of demarcation to makea catch. He may jump on top of a railing, or canvas that may bein foul ground. No interference should be allowed when afielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand tocatch a ball. He does so at his own risk.If a fielder, attempting a catch at the edge of the dugout, is“held up” and kept from an apparent fall by a player or playersof either team and the catch is made, it shall be allowed.

fuk, i can see it now "quick, hoist me up on the fence, I can catch this f'n thing if you hurry...."
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 08-02-17 at 08:54 AM.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Basically, as long as you don't land on other side of fence before making catch (i.e., hopping low wall), you are good.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25244

Saw that sucker real time. Just amazing

Auto Donk

yah, it's the "one or both feet being on or over the playing surface" at the time of the catch that makes it an out.....

i think some uil and or little league rules may vary from that, from what I remember as a kid/high school player....