DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8468

A message for my Xapo wallet ...

Important Update: Xapo and the Hard Fork

This communication is to explain what you can expect from Xapo in the event of a fork in the Bitcoin blockchain - which may occur on August 1st, 2017.

There is a proposal, known as Bitcoin Cash, that may create a fork in the Bitcoin network. This means that after August 1st, 2017 there may be two versions of the Bitcoin blockchain and two separate digital currencies: the original Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.

Xapo ensures the security of our customers’ bitcoins above all else and, in the event of a fork, your assets will be safe at Xapo.

We may, however, temporarily halt incoming and outgoing transfers from the Bitcoin network until we confirm that such transfers can be done safely.

We may also temporarily suspend the Xapo Debit Card and the conversion from dollars and other currencies to bitcoin and vice versa.

In other words, your assets will be safe at Xapo but you may not be able to transact for a period of time.

In the event of two surviving blockchains, we will support one blockchain, the one with the most accumulated difficulty.

Xapo will give you the choice to withdraw the coins in the secondary blockchain or to let Xapo sell the coins in that secondary blockchain and automatically add that value to your account in the supported blockchain. There is no estimated date as to when this will be determined, as it will be only when we deem it safe and sensible to do so.

So, if you would like to make bitcoin transactions during a fork, you will need to move your bitcoins out of Xapo before 23:00hrs UTC on July 31st. Any funds in the Vault that you would like to use during a fork will need to be retrieved from the Vault no later than 23:00 hrs UTC on July 28th so you have sufficient time to send them out of Xapo before the fork.

If you want to transact with any secondary digital currency that is created after August 1st, you should move your funds out of Xapo now. We do not have an estimated date for when the other supported blockchain will be safe to transact.

At Xapo, your bitcoins are secure and we allow you to decide what to do with the coins in your account.

The Xapo Team

JamesBrown
    JamesBrown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Coinbase to Bitpay going on 12 hours still pending

grantingyou
    grantingyou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

Coinbase to Airbitz 23 hours and 20 minutes and still pending.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

probably (?) will be worse next 48 hrs

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    Bitcoin is in deep trouble right now...delays at least 4 hours...6-8 typical past several days

Rather take a check and wait a month
    Wrong, if it's not going through relatively fast then the place sending it either has not sent it yet or they didn't pay enough fee.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

coinbase not supporting the btc cash, so if you leave any btc in there you are not going to get it

so im guessing if you have coin in there they are going to just pocket what you get and sell it off on other markets, that is if that coin actually holds any value at all ?

dtp
    dtp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 231

Does anyone know what will happen to BTC sitting in blockchain.info wallet?

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

Quote Originally Posted by dtp View Post
    im just reading stuff at some top forums and top posters no idea but saw this

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if It's safe for me to keep my bitcoin in this wallet, I have the Seed and recovery phase or whatever..

Having seed and recovery phrase is not enough for you to get free bcc for your bitcoin in blockchain.info wallet. If you know how to import address from your paper wallet to your blockchain wallet than do so and send bitcoin to your paper wallet address. After the split you should import that same address in another wallet that will support bcc, private key for bcc and btc address will be same so same address can hold both btc and bcc in future.

Bittrex have announced that they will credit respective bcc amount to their users who will have btc in their wallet during hardfork, so another option for you could be storing your bitcoin temporarily in bittrex.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Switch all to ether

Simple

JamesBrown
    JamesBrown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Coinbase getting lit up on reddit for not processing transactions. Hilarious read!

TheSideBet
    TheSideBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone heard if the miners are more accepting of the new way forward? I've gotten rid of most of mine. Been stressing over it and played it safe. Some left in a cold wallet but I'm not going to take any risk with the fork and uncertainty mainly because so many notifications keep coming up about lack of the new tokens being accepted. I think it will take a hit at least for first couple of weeks with the anticipated congestion and so many people not wanting to do it yet so that speculation period needs to die down.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by lonegambler23 View Post
    no gambling til september no worries from here. join the train before the madness begins
    Cleveland Indians in certain spots. But I agree. Coasting into nfl

RoyBacon
    RoyBacon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15679

Just sent a slug of BTC from GDAX to Bitfinex so I can capture the BCC.

Now I have to sweat them getting there in time. Bitfinex said all BTC balances will receive BCC on all balances on August 1st. I assume that is China time so middle of the night tomorrow for us.

Is this exercise even worth it? Anyone know or want to venture a guess on what BCC will start trading for?

TheSideBet
    TheSideBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyBacon View Post
    Just sent a slug of BTC from GDAX to Bitfinex so I can capture the BCC.

Now I have to sweat them getting there in time. Bitfinex said all BTC balances will receive BCC on all balances on August 1st. I assume that is China time so middle of the night tomorrow for us.

Is this exercise even worth it? Anyone know or want to venture a guess on what BCC will start trading for?

BCC a little under $400 and yes the time will be around noon or earlier depending open U.S. time zone.

Good luck man its going to be a crazy few weeks to see how this adventure goes.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

Interesting the ALT non BITCOIN coins all taking a huge dumps overnight down 7 to 12% overnight. If you used this past week the "lets sneak out of Bitcoin until things calm down approach" PRE into the "safe haven" of the alt coins ETH litcoin etc your down 10% already plus missing the approx up 10% of bitcoin up past few days. but what will happen as we sneak up on the fork time and date. And after.

Learning lots here,

this is crazy stuff.

side note
    Reading this book on bitcoin technology also, i started it yesterday if you buy it and then also get kindle edition its liked to some free youtube videos also. all I can say so far (first 3 chapters) is wow really seriously wow, very interesting this bitcoin technology which in the end has not that much to do with money!)

The Internet of MoneyAntonopoulos, Andreas M.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

Every Alt currency is down past 8 hours vs bitcoin and down lots
    Suppose those are just selling alts into BTC so that they can participate in the new coin just to "not miss the boat" ??

bitcion up and all other majow and mid sided alt currencies Down pre fork. they usually (other than disruptive news on a specific product her and there) move a bit co related overall. not like this (im no expert but watching all summer etc)

RoyBacon

I bought both ETH and LTC expecting to see some rotation. As Try3 mentions it's not/or wasn't happening. Now they have rallied back to where they were a few days ago.

After taking a nick on that strategy I have since been buying all the BTC I can. It's been going up touching $2800 and now at $2750. The fact that BTC can be firm starring into the face of a possible major disruption is a bullish sign to me. Assuming all goes reasonably well with the Aug 1 procedure I predict BTC breaks through the old high of $3,000.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Let's hope Bitcoin goes up

Need rally

Ether also

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

lets hear some real predictions guys. its all a gamble

lots of predictions ill toss in my 3 cents. i actually think (based on next to nothing knowledge so dont follow this at all with real coins) that bitcoin will "close at the FORK less than 2850 more like 2700. Then after the fork event it will drop right away, but just some, settle down 30 minutes after the FORK fork at 2450 - 2550 or so. the other coin, the new bitcoin first 15 minutes who knows but I think it will then settle in the 300 range. I dont think the other coin will dissipate to zero in the first hour or day at all, it will hold call it 233 -333 range. It will TH"US be stable enough to be offered set up to trade at exchanges allowing it, at the exchanges accepting it. there will be reason for people with paper wallets and blockchain holdings etc to figure out how to extract them and get some value but that will take users time to figure out how to do that so for weeks that all will be going on. look for lots of new youtube videos on how to get your new coin out of your paper wallet!

Then...well both coins will survive but what values or what timeframe thats the million/billion $ question.

over the next 24-72 hours the other major cyptos will drop in value some 5-10% as those who moved out of BTC to avoid the total unknown after seeing some new stability will be back into the much more useful bitcoins (esp the original one).

Lots of so called experts will claim I told you in advance to do this or that to maximize value. get ready for that. Few will say OOPPS I screwed that up.
    Last edited by trytrytry; 07-31-17 at 10:57 AM.

Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    lets hear some real predictions guys. its all a gamble

Lots of so called experts will claim I told you in advance to do this or that to maximize value. get ready for that. Few will say OOPPS I screwed that up.
    Amen. That's the way the world works. I once had a guy working for me whose favorite statement was "I told you so". I finally pointed out that he probably did. But that he told me so much crap that I didn't know what to listen to.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: trytrytry

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

i think lite coin will be at 45. Going up to 60 by end of sept and 100 by end of year. Etherum will go down because of people breaking into the network but by the end of the year will be back to 425

RoyBacon

Try, everyone has known about this since March. I could see many selling this week to avoid any disasters. But the price has actually been firm to higher.

I like the opposite side of your trade. After the procedure occurs there will likely be a scramble to buy and re establish positions that were sold out of an abundance of caution.

My argument is bolstered slightly by the firm price action today just hours ahead of the fork.

As far as BCC there is little support for it among the exchanges so short term probably soft. But after the initial selling is done it may get some traction. May get picked up by an exchange or two and start moving aLa LTC or ETH.

RoyBacon

Btw, been rounding up BTC today to get them into Bitfinex. Bitstamp to Bitfinex taking about 90 minutes.

MeanPeopleSuck
    MeanPeopleSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 700

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    probably (?) will be worse next 48 hrs
    Agreed, the delays will get much worse before they get better. When ETH and ETC hard forked last summer, there were two types of successful hacks (I've asked the tech guys to explain them to me "like I was 10 years old," but they never dumbed it down enough that I understood it -- one of them has something to do with the fact that for a while you could spend the same money on both blockchains, something like that).

Anyway, this time around everyone's massively paranoid. Some places like Bittrex have already suspended deposits and withdrawals and more will follow suit. Places that continue using the blockchain until tomorrow morning are probably going to require a lot more confirmations.

And who knows WTF tomorrow will bring?

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by RoyBacon View Post
    Try, everyone has known about this since March. I could see many selling this week to avoid any disasters. But the price has actually been firm to higher.

I like the opposite side of your trade. After the procedure occurs there will likely be a scramble to buy and re establish positions that were sold out of an abundance of caution.

My argument is bolstered slightly by the firm price action today just hours ahead of the fork.

As far as BCC there is little support for it among the exchanges so short term probably soft. But after the initial selling is done it may get some traction. May get picked up by an exchange or two and start moving aLa LTC or ETH.
    1. Here's a futures market for BCC. Currently pricing around $300: https://www.viabtc.com/quot/realtime...c&chart=simple

2. It's not at all true that "everybody's known about this since March." I'm pretty well connected to the Bitcoin Unlimited-verse and I first heard the words "Bitcoin Cash" about 2 weeks ago. Public announcement was 1 week ago.

3. I actually asked this of you on another thread, so no need to repeat yourself here if you've already answered, but I totally agree with you that BTC's likely to go up tonight and tomorrow AM, pre forking, as speculators buy to get in on the new token. But we differ on what happens next. My feeling is that immediately after the split, BTC will drop. I plan to move to all cash, possibly even short BTC.

But I've been wrong on crypto a million times before, so my mind is permanently open: why do you believe BTC will continue to rise after BCC is forked out of it?

4. Bittrex is no longer accepting deposits, but both Kraken and Gemini are better choices for your BTC than Bitfinex. I can't really get more specific than that on a public thread, but they are.

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by dtp View Post
    You're safe. But by not being at an exchange that'll do all the work of securing your BCC for you, it means you'll have some work to do yourself, but you don't need to worry about getting hosed out of your BCC.

To my knowledge, the exact process of how claim your BCC hasn't yet been announced, but if it follows last year's ETH example, it'll be as easy as going to BCC's foundation website and proving your ownership of BTC with your private key, then they'll send you your BCC.

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    Every Alt currency is down past 8 hours vs bitcoin and down lots
    Suppose those are just selling alts into BTC so that they can participate in the new coin just to "not miss the boat" ??

bitcion up and all other majow and mid sided alt currencies Down pre fork. they usually (other than disruptive news on a specific product her and there) move a bit co related overall. not like this (im no expert but watching all summer etc)
    Hi, TTT, how are ya?

1. My guess is the same as yours: the current flight from alts to BTC is because everyone wants in on the new token. After all, if it really does open at $300 that will give it an opening market cap of $5 billion, the 4th largest coin behind only BTC, ETH and XRP, and twice as large as LTC.

2. Your predictions are fun. I think that deserves its own thread, a sort of pool on BTC and BCC's value by tomorrow night. I'll post one.

First 12