Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

The American Flag Football League Is Starting In 2018

Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson ran pass patterns with big smiles on their faces visible throughout the stadium.
    Michael Vick was flinging touchdown passes the way he did as an NFL star.

Instead of an old-timers day, this was more of a throwback night with those three former stars headlining lineups with several former NFL players for the debut event of the American Flag Football League in hopes of showing that this sport played mostly by kids could have a future as a professional league.

"I've played flag football since I was a kid," Johnson said. "The only difference about playing here and playing other places, here was much faster because the level of talent. Obviously, everyone has played before. It was extremely fast."

The American Flag Football League played the game Tuesday in San Jose in advance of plans by founder Jeff Lewis to launch a spring league in 2018. In front of a crowd of several hundred people, Team Vick prevailed over Team Owens 64-41 behind Vick's eight TD passes and 547 yards passing.

"It's something different," said Vick, who was attracted to the sport by watching his daughter play flag football. "My playing days are over, but I can play now and not get hit, not get tackled. I think that's pretty cool."

The game featured other notable former NFL players such as Justin Forsett, Kerry Rhodes, Steve Smith and Nick Collins; lesser-known players looking for a break such as game MVP Evan Rodriguez who is hoping NFL teams might give him another look after his nine catches for 210 yards and four TDs; and former Cornell lacrosse player Max Seibald, who was the top collegiate player in the country in 2009.

"I think it definitely would help the league to have some guys with household names," Owens said. "But this game is purely made from speed. Just like any other game, there's a lot of skill involved."

Lewis knows marquee names will draw fans in initially. But he wants most of the teams to be filled from a pool of scores of younger players who have been recently cut or never made NFL rosters rather than out-of-shape old-timers.
    "You could trot 45- and 50-year-old football players out and it would be nice to see people you remember, but it's not going to be great," Lewis said. "We want it to be compellingly high quality. The players who played who have played previously are going to be playing because they're world-class athletes."

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

I actually watched some of the 3 on 3 basketball tournament last night...garbage just like this flag football will be

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I think that Big3 is going to work out in basketball. Would be willing to give this league a try if its on TV. Both sports have a type of play I can personally resonate with, and it might work, being played in the offseason of the major sports.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

I hope we'll be able to bet on it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Broke athletes just trying to make money

sports over crowded as it is

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

This is the future..just need the tv contract.....NFL getting too dangerous with bigger and faster athletes

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Mike Vick

8 TDs, 547 yards.

Wow!

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Can't wait to see the showdown between Kaepernick and Manziel.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

oh my daggles

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Can't wait to see the showdown between Kaepernick and Manziel.
    And Tebow.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8480

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post