USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Grilling The Perfect Steak on a Gas Grill

Memorial Weekend is my holiday weekend to work but ran over to the Italian Market yesterday and picked up a couple T-bone steaks at a butcher shop there. Going to grill them when I get home today so wanted to hear your grilling secrets. From preparation to the finished product. Will take the best advise and grill accordingly.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend men.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

#1 . throw the gas grill away
    Points Awarded:

SteelRain gave Sam Odom 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: allabout the $$$, gauchojake, and 19th Hole

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Love ya man...Was fun...Golf tomorrow in the Desert...I will die...

BOL

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Thanks Sammy....never liked the charcoal grilling but appreciate the advise

FunnyB!.....its dry heat brother

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Meat terrible for you

tons of chemicals in steaks

Have Veggie Burger

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Meat terrible for you

tons of chemicals in steaks

Have Veggie Burger
    Coach this is direct from the butcher.....PRIME meat....not the CHOICE shit you buy at the grocery store
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Swinging Johnson

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Odom is correct, charcoal is the way to go but I also have a gas grill. Pickup some wood chips to add a smoky flavor. The big ones not the little chips
    Points Awarded:

USCPHILLYGUY gave shadymcgrady 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold

I wish I can have a deli sandwich today

jerkoffs Vegas like me

Sam Odom

I wish I can have a deli sandwich today

tongue sandwich ?

with potato salad & dill spear

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10790

1. Take steaks out of fridge and let them sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
    2. Liberally add salt and pepper to each side.
    3. Crank up heat on grill to 500 degrees.
    4. Grill each side and flip only once to desired wellness
    5. Let steaks sit for 15 minutes before cutting into them, allows juices to redistribute
    Points Awarded:

USCPHILLYGUY gave Shute 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

I want corn

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    1. Take steaks out of fridge and let them sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
    5. Let steaks sit for 15 minutes before cutting into them, allows juices to redistribute

pretty much

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Gotta go with charcoal and some hickory chips buddy

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SteelRain

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Where exactly do you put the chips at

steady hustlin
    steady hustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very important to make sure steaks are not too cold prior to being cooked.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Where exactly do you put the chips at
    Right on top of some hot coals and let it burn until its no longer flaming and is producing smoke. For chips, this is almost immediate, while chunks will take a little bit of time to get to the right stage, about 5 minutes depending on the type of wood and its size.

adding wood will give you a little smoke ring on your meat

plus obviously the amazing smokey flavor
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BeerDog99

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Don't forget the A1 sauce when they are done!!

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Wow Smokey!

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Holland grills are where it's at

most big time posters go to restaurants and use their grill to cook their own steak though. Be sure to use copious amounts of butter and a side of ketchup (not catsup)

teachervido
    teachervido's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Don't forget the A1 sauce when they are done!!
    and ketchup!

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Soak the wood chunks in water first so they don't burn up. Put them under the grill, wedged in between the burners. Maybe wrap them in foil with the ends open so the smoke has plenty of room to trail out

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    Wow Smokey!
    Funny, every true steak lover knows that no steak is complete without the A1 sauce. Just ask forum legend and professional card counter brock landers

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

This is good stuff but let me add a few things. When should you add salt? That is an often question for cooks. In my experience the longer you salt the more aged a meat will taste. Chicken will taste a little saltier if you season right before cooking. Chicken seasoned in advance will be more flavorful and balanced, so I always season chicken in advance. Steak seasoned right before cooking has a more bright, sharp flavor whereas steak seasoned in advance seems more "aged". The difference is subtle and both are good, so try both. If you are cooking pork, you should always season right before cooking. It will be more moist and flavorful. If you salt in advance it will be dry and grainy. If you are cooking lamb it's the opposite, season in advanced and it will be much more flavorful and tasty.

In summary, I season lamb the day before. Try to season chickens the day before, if you have the time, and season steaks and pork right before searing.

When cooking steaks, dry and high is the key. You want to make sure the steak is dry on the grill instead of wet because if it's wet then you are steaming the steak instead of searing. Dry off any marinade or excess blood before putting on the grill. One of the best grills to cook steak on is the Big Green Egg. For steak, you want high temperatures 650 to 725 F. Use a thermometer to monitor temperature the first time you cook but after a while you should know how long to leave them on the grill. I cook 4 minutes on each side of 1 inch thick steaks and they come out medium for me. Results will vary, so experiment.

You want the perfect steak? I have a Traeger pellet grill. It is awesome for cooking chicken, and any slow roasting (ribs, roasts, brisket, etc.) it cooks any and everything great with the exception of steak because the temps do not get high enough ( goes to only about 500 F). But the Traeger is the best grill to cold smoke meats, especially salmon. So I use the Traeger to cold smoke the steak first. It adds smoke including a smoke ring but it does not heat the steak. This infuses whatever flavor you like. I'll smoke for 30 - 60 minutes using mesquite, hickory, cherry, apple, etc., first. This is like getting it to room temperature. I then pat dry and put in the green egg and cook. You will never, ever taste a better steak using this method.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: steady hustlin, and USCPHILLYGUY

jjgold

Brock Lander puts mayonnaise on steak, and he claims he's a big-time as far as eating.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    Right on top of some hot coals and let it burn until its no longer flaming and is producing smoke. For chips, this is almost immediate, while chunks will take a little bit of time to get to the right stage, about 5 minutes depending on the type of wood and its size.
    adding wood will give you a little smoke ring on your meat
    plus obviously the amazing smokey flavor
    For steaks, you should not see a smoke ring using this method because it doesn't cook long enough. Smoke rings develops below 170 F. You should also not have much of a smoke flavor either because you are searing the steak fairly quickly. The only way to infuse smoke and add a ring is to cold smoke the steak initially like I mentioned above.

Your picture shows a nice brisket that you cook low and slow. The perfect meat for the smoke ring. My briskets take 16 hours to cook, my steaks take 8 minutes.

You also do not want to moisten chips to cook steaks because you are now adding water to the mix. Always cook steaks high and dry. High temp and dry grill/pan/oven.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Smoking a brisket for tomorrow.

Will be starting it tonight around 10-11pm.

Finished product around 3-5pm tomorrow.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: brooks85

Mac4Lyfe

Brock Lander puts mayonnaise on steak, and he claims he's a big-time as far as eating.
    I like my steak plain with no seasoning but to each it's own.Whatever you like, you like so go for it in my opinion. This guy here makes a whisky mushroom cream sauce that sounds delicious. I'm all for experimenting.

http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/ny-strip-steaks/

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Smoking a brisket for tomorrow.
    Will be starting it tonight around 10-11pm.
    Finished product around 3-5pm tomorrow.
    It already sounds delicious. I love the pellet smokers because you set it and forget it. All I do is baste/mop the meat often.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    For steaks, you should not see a smoke ring using this method because it doesn't cook long enough. Smoke rings develops below 170 F. You should also not have much of a smoke flavor either because you are searing the steak fairly quickly. The only way to infuse smoke and add a ring is to cold smoke the steak initially like I mentioned above.

Your picture shows a nice brisket that you cook low and slow. The perfect meat for the smoke ring. My briskets take 16 hours to cook, my steaks take 8 minutes.

You also do not want to moisten chips to cook steaks because you are now adding water to the mix. Always cook steaks high and dry. High temp and dry grill/pan/oven.
    I was only answering his question on where to add chips...cooking steaks never interested me as I don't eat them.

Sounds like you got it all figured out though...well done!
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave Russian Rocket 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

T bone are ok. I prefer ribeye

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Great help men especially Macker.....gonna give his technique a shot. Will keep you posted
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave USCPHILLYGUY 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    I was only answering his question on where to add chips...cooking steaks never interested me as I don't eat them.
    Sounds like you got it all figured out though...well done!
    You don't like steaks? Isn't Russian steak marinade from Russia? Which is awesome. Houston has a couple good Russian restaurants. I like beef stroganoff and pastrami sandwich. NY has some incredible Russian restaurants.

jjgold

Someone send me case of Omahas

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Someone send me case of Omahas

I got you coach. Just need an address

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Nice easy to follow directions. Would change #2 from S&P to Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning and marinate for a couple hours.
    Otherwise, good tips.

Absolute best steak for the $ is a Hanger cut. Tough to find, but have been on them for over a decade and unless the person likes T-loin/Filet the the flavor and juice is very hard to beat.

Did 6 pounds or so today. Blew away the lobster and salmon. Even $ on the oysters with horshradish volka, Tobasco and lemon.

1234 Last