Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

He meant before the dumb foul, Vandy was up 1 with 14 seconds left. So if NW misses before the buzzer, they foul, and Vandy can go up 3. I was thinking the same thing, because I had NW +2.5 and thought it was a loser at that point.

Second game in 3 days a team is down 1 and launches a 30-foot 3-pointer with plenty of time on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    Stop them and rebound with 1.4 seconds left?? what game are you watching...

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11802

Quote Originally Posted by intermission View Post
    These kids are like 18-21 years old. Kids are pretty dumb around his age. The kid probably didn't even see the last basket went in so he foul
    Problem was Vandy was out of timeouts, usually the coach reminds these stupid kids what to do and not to do on the next possession.. Kid was lost and wasn't paying attention.. Cost them the season..

Zags thump Northwestern in the next round..

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Problem was Vandy was out of timeouts, usually the coach reminds these stupid kids what to do and not to do on the next possession.. Kid was lost and wasn't paying attention.. Cost them the season..

Zags thump Northwestern in the next round..
    That is the other thing. How the fuk do you run out of timeouts with 7 minutes to play in a half in the tournament? There is a TV timeout every time a stoppage occurs in play for the 7,000 commercials per game. You have to be a complete dumbass to not have at least one left going into a final 5 minutes. Still doesn't excuse the kid for not knowing the situation.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    That is the other thing. How the fuk do you run out of timeouts with 7 minutes to play in a half in the tournament? There is a TV timeout every time a stoppage occurs in play for the 7,000 commercials per game. You have to be a complete dumbass to not have at least one left going into a final 5 minutes. Still doesn't excuse the kid for not knowing the situation.
    He kept using timeouts because they were getting blown out of the building. They did a great job to battle back but there were several boneheaded plays by Vandy.

Luke Kornet fouls 94 feet from the basket to pick up his 4th foul. He ended up fouling out at the end which really cost Vandy. He can really spread the floor and could have been a great option in crunch time.

Fisher-Davis might have thought that they had a foul to give. That would have made it a pretty good foul in that instance when you don't have timeouts, so you can set up your defense and possibly substitute offense for defense.

Not having at least one timeout left is a cardinal sin. Kids are kids. They are going to make mistakes. You have to have a timeout in your pocket just to get their heads straight at the end.

Jacking up a WTF 35 foot 3 on the last possession was probably worst than the foul. Drive to the damn whole or at least get a better look. Princeton did the same shit today. Aren't these smart schools?

Mac4Lyfe

My son did the same stupid shit in the semifinal basketball tourney AAU. Turned the ball over with 3 seconds left in the backcourt for a layup to the other team. Not nearly as important as today's game but he asked me later. "Dad, did I lose the game"? I said the same shit the Vandy coach said today. No, one play doesn't lose a game, it's a team effort, you win and lose as a team. BUT in the back of my mind I was still thinking... "How the fukkk do you turn the ball over right there"?

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

A game between two of the best academic schools in the NCAA tournament was incongruously ended by a mindless, mental gaffe that proves just how little difference there is between one shining moment and college basketball infamy.
    After a Vanderbilt layup put the Commodores ahead of Northwestern by one point with 17.8 seconds remaining in their first-round game, the Wildcats inbounded and charged down the court to set up a potential go-ahead or game-winning shot. But before guard Bryant McIntosh could get across half court, Vandy's Matthew Fisher-Davis grabbed him to intentionally commit a foul, the kind you see trailing teams make when they want to force their opponent to the free-throw line.

But, of course, Vanderbilt wasn't down. It didn't need Northwestern to go to the line. The Commodores were up. And by fouling Northwestern's best player, Fisher-Davis gifted the Wildcats two points that ended up being the decisive ones of the game. Moments later, the clock hit zeroes and Northwestern had won its first ever NCAA tournament game.
    Fisher-Davis didn't seem to know what hit him. He looked up at the clock after committing the foul, looked at his bench and appeared to say "I'm stupid, I'm stupid," with a look of dazed regret. Either he thought Vanderbilt had a foul to give (which still would have made it a bad foul) or that his team was down by a point. It's what they teach you in every sport when you're growing up: Keep your head in the game.
    Fisher-Davis earned immediate comparisons to Chris Webber, Fred Brown and other NCAA tournament also-rans who forgot the situation en route to a gut-punch loss. And while he deserves the scrutiny - as much as you want to put on a 20-year-old college junior, at least - don't say he was the sole reason Vanderbilt lost the game. Without the foul, Northwestern still would have had the ball down one with a ton of time left on the clock. McIntosh still had to make his free throws. And even after the Wildcats went ahead, Vanderbilt had the ball down one with its own chance to take the lead. But with the game on the line, Riley LaChance, who had just assisted on an easy layup that gave Vanderbilt, pulled up for a 28-foot three-pointer that hit the back of the rim to basically end the game.

It was a bad enough decision in any circumstance (there were still seven seconds left) but especially in this game, when Vanderbilt had just scored on two-straight possessions with easy layups after getting behind the Northwestern defense. LaChance himself had blown through the Wildcats D just seconds earlier. To go for a low-percentage, way-beyond-the-NBA-arc shot while Vandy was essentially running a layup line is a mistake almost as bad as the one made by Fisher-Davis.

Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew didn't blame his star, who dropped a team-high 22 points in the game, during a postgame interview. "We're not even in that position without him," he said.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

I'm a Vandy guy it sucks because they could have beaten another mediocre Big 10 team and Doug Collins is flat out disgusting to look at as well

I hope and am betting Gonzaga by 18

Mac4Lyfe

Vandy ALWAYS blows come tourney time. I think they made it out of the first weekend like once or twice in their history, even when highly favored. I NEVER EVER choose them to go deep in the tourney. They always find a way to lose games in WTF fashion.

First 12