slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

Why Ronda Rousey's return matters

It seems strange that the UFC is marketing its next pay-per-view with the tagline, “Fear the Return.”

Ronda Rousey will end a 13-and-half month absence from the Octagon on Dec. 30 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas when she challenges Amanda Nunes for the women’s bantamweight title in the main event of UFC 207.
    Given Rousey’s significance, not only in UFC history but in mixed martial arts history, it seems it would make more sense if it were a “Celebrate the Return” kind of thing.
    It’s undeniably far better for the sport for Rousey to be active and involved than sitting silently on the sidelines. In winning her first 12 professional fights before a stunning, one-sided loss to Holly Holm on Nov. 13, 2015, in Melbourne, Australia, Rousey became far more than one of MMA’s greatest fighters.
    She became a sports and cultural icon.
    Rousey transcended her sport, and not simply because her extraordinary athleticism and exceptional grappling skills made her a one-of-a-kind fighter.

She spoke to people and touched them at their core in a way a person who beats folks up for a living usually never could do.
    At one of her book signings for her best-selling autobiography, an obese young man who said he’d been mocked most of his life because of his weight stood in a lengthy line, quivering, so giddy to meet his idol.
    Rousey had overcome so much, he said, that it inspired him to improve his life. He stood in a long line by himself because he wanted to thank her.
    Her absence in the Octagon has been missed, and by more than just the typical fight crowd. There are people who purchase her pay-per-views who don’t buy any other fights, and aren’t interested in MMA in particular or fighting in general.
    Rousey has been conspicuously silent since her last fight. Prior to that bout, she said she planned to take an extended break because her schedule had been so frenetic that she needed a good vacation, but no one imagined she’d be sidelined for more than a year.
    Her voice was noticeably missing during the presidential campaign when then-Republican nominee Donald Trump was fighting off a controversy regarding his relationship with women.
    It would seem certain that Rousey would speak out following the first presidential debate, when Trump was accused of calling former Miss Universe Alicia Machado “Miss Piggy,” and other less-than-flattering names.

One of Rousey’s signature causes has been fighting body-shaming issues, and her stance won her scores of fans. She was, however, notably silent since her loss.
    Rousey has long been a brilliant promoter, and did as much to push her career as did the UFC’s marketing team. They worked together to make her a world-wide figure.
    The bully pulpit she gained from her success allowed her to take a stand on causes she was passionate about.
    It’s a different Rousey, though, who is on the verge of a return to action. She’s largely been out of the media other than the incessant promos the UFC plays on its broadcasts.
    She appeared on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” on Nov. 1 where she hinted at retirement.
    “This is definitely one of my last fights,” Rousey said. “Everyone better watch, because the show isn’t going to be around forever.”
    She was on “Conan” last week. And she may also make a return to “The Jimmy Kimmel Show.”

But it’s not wall-to-wall Rousey like it’s been before most of her prior fights.
    If it’s simply her choice, and she’d rather not be burdened by the circus act that her public appearances have become, it’s understandable, albeit disappointing. She presented an interesting perspective and a unique voice that added much to the conversation, about MMA and issues outside of that realm.
    Rousey used her time off to reassess her priorities, and concluded that being a public figure isn’t high on that list.
    “I’ve done a lot of learning in this last year and I’ve learned that the views I get and the money I make really doesn’t mean anything for me and my happiness,” Rousey said last week during her recent ‘Conan’ appearance.
    Her loss touched her in a way that it doesn’t affect most. A short while after the fight, she told DeGeneres that she had contemplated suicide.
    “In the medical room, I was down in the corner, I was sitting in the corner and I was like,‘What am I anymore if I’m not this?’ ” she told DeGeneres. “And I was literally sitting there and thinking about killing myself in that exact second: ‘I’m nothing. Like what do I do anymore? And no one gives a [expletive] about me any more without this.’ ”
    That such a thought entered her mind is sadly troubling, particularly since her father took his own life.

But she is wrong about that, as the hoopla over her return indicates. The loss didn’t decrease interest in her even a little, as evidenced by the crescendo of noise when she unexpectedly made a brief promotional appearance at the UFC 205 weigh-in in New York last month.
    She’s the rare fighter who doesn’t need to fight to make a living. She’s become wealthy from fighting and her other exploits, such as acting, endorsements, modeling and her book.
    It’s difficult, though, to know her motivation for her return. Part of it undoubtedly has to do with her legendary competitiveness. It can’t be easy for a world-class athlete like Rousey who has known almost nothing but success to walk away after a loss like the one she suffered to Holm.
    There are, though, few other little clues about her mind-set post-Holm, but what we know for certain is that Ronda 2.0 is going to be vastly different than what we’ve become accustomed to.
    However she handles this next phase of her career, here’s to hoping that her willingness to speak out on issues dear to her heart and advancing charitable causes doesn’t change.
    Not many of us are able to make a difference on a widespread scale like Rousey could.
    She’s made her sport better and she’s helped improve the lot of her peers. Much needs to be done still, but MMA fighters have it better because of what Rousey did to grow the sport.
    There is no reason to fear the return of a person who has done so much to advance her sport. It’s more like time to celebrate.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/why...074954000.html

Points Awarded:

Unwritten Law gave slayer14 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

she is a hasbin

retiring after fight

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

I thought she was supposed to do a remake of the movie, "Road House".

MMANick
    MMANick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1831

The movie is on hold because her acting isn't up to par, or at least that's what I've heard. I could totally see Nunes hurting and finishing her with strikes.

jjgold

She looks terrible without makeup
    Chubby too

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25244

Haha

MMANick

I don't find her attractive. There are way better looking girls in the UFC.

triplecrown333
    triplecrown333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

where is the nipple?

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 672

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    She looks terrible without makeup
    Chubby too
    Careful JJ, she might read that comment and fake another suicide in an attempt to get attention

jjgold

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19443

The fact that she's completely dispensed with the promotional crap tells me that, whether or not she knew it at the time, she was living a lie and she knows it. No way could I bet Rousey as chalk.

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

She's been gone for over a year. The only people that care are my wife and other casuals that gather at Buffalo Wild Wings for her fights. That movie that they spent God knows how much on promoting her return was ridiculous. I hope she gets humiliated again.

#RouseyDoesntMatter

MMANick

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    She's been gone for over a year. The only people that care are casuals that gather at Buffalo Wild Wings for her fights. That movie that they spent God knows how much on promoting her return was ridiculous. I hope she gets humiliated again.

#RouseyDoesntMatter
    I love Nunes at plus odds.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Being a sore loser lost her tons of fans. she will be hearing lots of boos. if she can't get nunes down quick, she is gonna get her face all bashed up.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3744

keep talking her down I want better odds.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

All my mma twitter bros are on nunes.

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

I wanna bang her

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Nunes will screw her day up. Suicide incoming

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3744

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    The fact that she's completely dispensed with the promotional crap tells me that, whether or not she knew it at the time, she was living a lie and she knows it. No way could I bet Rousey as chalk.
    what ? this has got to be the lowest chalk she's ever seen, and she only lost 1 fight,
    Nunes has lost 4. And do you want to guess who the late money will be pounding ?
    Points Awarded:

Ty$ gave Snowball 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11720

I like to see trump grab her pussy

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

LOVE seeing you guys on Nunes. Keep betting her, thanks!!

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    Whos got the advantage standing in your opinion? Why do you see rousey winning?

Youre thinking comeback story because of her mentality? Better striking after layoff? Better cardio? Better grappling?

Let me hear ya!

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

15 days men!

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    none of these guys are betting Nunes and they are not even betting Rousey. They are just here to try and be funny trying to shame a woman because their life is pathetic and misery loves company. They trash her looks like they are somehow something a woman looks at lol.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

jjgold

you only see air brush photos of her

she is ugly and chunk in person

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125