ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Lane kiffin +900

Lane is +909 to be next coach of Houston? Thinking of playing it, anyone have solid info? Seems to be top 2 coaching candidate for the job.

sportsfan9698
    sportsfan9698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 786

Nobody has inside info here... but you will get a bunch of speculation that will leave you dizzy. Play your hunch

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

here is a link. He isn't even mentioned

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/who...-sheet-8982728

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    here is a link. He isn't even mentioned

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/who...-sheet-8982728
    Have about a dozen from larger newspapers saying it's his job for the taking if he agrees to their buy out clause. He's going there or lsu nobody out west will touch him.

chico2663

Just read the cincinnati enquirer and it states that u of h is looking hard at him, def coord at ohio st. and fleck

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10352

worth a shot at that number

JTrain
    JTrain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1464

Here's what I don't get about books offering these: Say you are Lane Kiffin's wife's cousin's brother-in-law's best friend. You hear before 99.9% of everyone else that they offered and he will almost surely accept and be announced in the next few days. You put your entire savings on the bet at +900. How do the books avoid getting killed by situations like this? And could they try to avoid paying out if they suspect you had the info?

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Because these types of bets usually have smaller limits on them

PorkChop
    PorkChop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Absolutely worth a shot

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

terrible coach

A GOOD coordinators AND HEAD COACHES DO NOT HAVE ANY PROVEN SUCCESS

HUGE MISTAKE TEAMS MAKE..SO DIFFERENT AS FAR AS THE TYPE OF JOB IT IS

BetweenHerCheeks
    Update your status
    BetweenHerCheeks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 667

theres ALOT of value at +900 what book has that?

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why do you think Lane is a poor hire as a head coach JJ? He has had experience as a hc before even though poor performance. I would think he has learned from his past mistakes along with working under the cfb master for a few years now. I think Houston is pretty creative with this interest. You think he should just stay a coordinator?

jjgold

He is a loser running a team

Cannot handle the pressure

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    He is a loser running a team

Cannot handle the pressure
    Like most of the losers in here, JJ forgets that Kiffin took a USC team on probation to a 10-2 record.

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by BetweenHerCheeks View Post
    theres ALOT of value at +900 what book has that?
    I bet this on bookmaker.

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by JTrain View Post
    Here's what I don't get about books offering these: Say you are Lane Kiffin's wife's cousin's brother-in-law's best friend. You hear before 99.9% of everyone else that they offered and he will almost surely accept and be announced in the next few days. You put your entire savings on the bet at +900. How do the books avoid getting killed by situations like this? And could they try to avoid paying out if they suspect you had the info?
    Most prop bets like this or even bets like WWE where someone could legit have insider info are limited in amount you can bet. For instance bookmaker allowed me a max of $250 on this wager.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

He'd be stupid to leave Bama for that job.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Like most of the losers in here, JJ forgets that Kiffin took a USC team on probation to a 10-2 record.
    And that ended with the airport firing and every fire lane on campus looking like this.

The guy is an excellent coordinator but still hasn't proven himself as a good HC. He obviously wears out anyone he works with because he can't keep a job more than a few years.

jjgold

He looks good at Bama because they have pro players

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

jj

you are losing forum cred

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Him as HC will end the same way the last THREE have. Impressive to have three disaster HC firings under your belt by 40yo.

Ra77er

JJ always says this about coaching and I do not believe that one bit. The right coach in the right situation can be successful. I don't want to start pointing but the Lakers didn't win 10 games until Feb. They have some serious wins already this year. Baylor had the talent to win 10 games and they are lucky to be in a bowl. Bama won't run the table next year if Saban retires in the offseason and Lane somehow inherited the team. Phillies another good situation last year, expect to win 5 games and won 71. Same with Atlanta, fired Freddy and ole Brian actually got them playing quietly .500 ball down the stretch to cover and knock the Tigers out of the playoffs. I am just saying the right coach can make some stuff happen regardless of the roster. Rooster

I should add that I'm not sure Lane is a good choice here or anywhere but it's interesting.
    Last edited by Ra77er; 12-06-16 at 01:49 PM.

jjgold

Easy to coach when you have best players in world

lol

Ra77er

I do not disagree with you there. I'm sure there are situations where the talent is so good that it covers up a lack of leadership and vice versa but that is a terrible way to run a business. You have one amazing year and 7 mediocre ones? Slow and steady upward trends and once you hit the ceiling sometimes you may have to spend a little money or kidnap some talent to finish it off. Instead I'm seeing coaches make millions watching 6-6 years and just waiting for the lockerroom to have the right mix to win it for you...thats unacceptable imo.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

on one hand, i think LK will be a disaster as a HC again... even if he does reasonably good job he will be under immense scrutiny.

OTOH, nick saban obviously knows what he's doing and has great faith in LK.

i guess the 2 points are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    I do not disagree with you there. I'm sure there are situations where the talent is so good that it covers up a lack of leadership and vice versa but that is a terrible way to run a business. You have one amazing year and 7 mediocre ones? Slow and steady upward trends and once you hit the ceiling sometimes you may have to spend a little money or kidnap some talent to finish it off. Instead I'm seeing coaches make millions watching 6-6 years and just waiting for the lockerroom to have the right mix to win it for you...thats unacceptable imo.
    interesting comment................ i do think too many lesser BCS programs should be careful what they wish for. X coach can't get team over hump from 6-6 to 8-4 seasons but most of these places it's pretty hard to consistently winning 9+ games. thinking places like iowa, minnesota...

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    on one hand, i think LK will be a disaster as a HC again... even if he does reasonably good job he will be under immense scrutiny.

OTOH, nick saban obviously knows what he's doing and has great faith in LK.

i guess the 2 points are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

LK needs a short leash that Saban has on him... LK on his own as HC goes off the reservation

Ra77er

I guess the specific record shouldn't be taken literally. Some schools 6-6 is fantastic and is a ceiling but bringing someone in and letting them go 3-9, 4-8, 2-10, 3-9 and paying them millions, especially if its a basketball school seems absurd. Iowa is a 7-8 win type school and if the fans are happy with that consistency, more power to them. It's probably nice as a bettor but it's not nice for growing a stronger/wider fanbase which helps the product as a whole. I am not for a quick hook per se but all teams should have some expectations.

chico2663

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    I guess the specific record shouldn't be taken literally. Some schools 6-6 is fantastic and is a ceiling but bringing someone in and letting them go 3-9, 4-8, 2-10, 3-9 and paying them millions, especially if its a basketball school seems absurd. Iowa is a 7-8 win type school and if the fans are happy with that consistency, more power to them. It's probably nice as a bettor but it's not nice for growing a stronger/wider fanbase which helps the product as a whole. I am not for a quick hook per se but all teams should have some expectations.
    some people are better co-ord than hc better asst coaches than manager. I can think of ray knight. I can think of romeo crennel was linebackers coach of western ky. He was shitty as head coach but was a great cordinator. Hue jackson may fit in that mold.

Ra77er

That's a good statement chico and btw you played much better at the tables than I today, in my defense I was watching a Jeff Banister interview for a good portion of the FT.

LK is certainly doing well at Bama and if I'm him I ask Saban what he thinks I should do and if I'm actually suited for it. Maybe Nick thinks he is best suited as a coordinator and if true then he should tell him that and LK should stay at Bama. If Nick thinks he can succeed as a Hcoach then Houston should run like Earl Campbell and give him the whistle and pay all these crazy's 9 to 1. I don't really know how anyone could say for certainty if he is a leader of men without actually playing under him but some of you guys do amazing detective work on the interwebs and have probably already pieced together every media clipping you can on his time in Tenn and USC, maybe you have friends that know him idk. I don't follow Bama and I don't know what the offense says about him, nor the players he's coached in the past but regardless I just hope he makes a good decision for himself and his family where he is going to continue to be successful.

jjgold

Houston is whore shit compared to Bama talent

lol..many guys here do not know the game like me

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Houston is not considered a marquee job. Gotta believe that egomaniac Kiffin is hoping for better.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I don't know exactly where Kiffin would end up?

But I will say this... he is clearly a great coordinator or assistant coach.

He lacks a lot of things for a head coaching position.

USC he bombed....

Tennessee he bombed...

AD's don't look into this? Are they fukking dumb?

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    Houston is not considered a marquee job. Gotta believe that egomaniac Kiffin is hoping for better.
    it comes down to if he wants to be the guy or the coordinator. He has much better jobs being offered as coordinator, I have a Hunch he's the type that wants to be the main man. And use that as his stepping stone to say he can be that for a big program. Currently (me following the pac 12 quite a bit) I know schools out west wouldn't think about him as the head guy after his time at USC.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Great call! Kiffin named coach of Houston.

12 Last