trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

A Historic Election and result to celebrate

tremendous I'm sure all here will agree another result to celebrate. First Trump and now this news from Minnesota

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...-us/400478011/

Minnesota elects 1st Somali-American lawmaker in the US

Associated Press
    NOVEMBER 8, 2016 — 8:14PM

AARON LAVINSKY, STAR TRIBUNEIlhan Omar, state representative candidate for District 60B, spoke to a supporter John Kamsin after granting an interview to the Star Tribune and eating dinner at Bir'raa restaurant in the Seward neighborhood Tuesday night.
    VIEW YOUR BALLOT

TEXT SIZE

EMAIL

PRINT

MORE

MINNEAPOLIS — Long home to the nation's largest Somali population, Minnesota elected the first Somali-American lawmaker in the U.S. on Tuesday.
    Ilhan Omar won a state House seat to represent a Minneapolis neighborhood often called "Little Mogadishu." A steady rise in the Somali community's political power in the area led to Omar's election. The city elected a Somali city councilor in 2013 and a Somali school board member in 2010.
    A 33-year-old community activist with deep ties in Minneapolis' Somali community, Omar came to the United States as an 8-year-old after spending four years in a Kenyan refugee camp.
    Her victory was a near foregone conclusion in the heavily Democratic district. After defeating the district's 44-year incumbent in a three-way primary, Omar delivered her victory speech twice: once in English, and again in Somali. Soon after, her Republican rival dropped out of the race.
    Mohamud Noor, a local Somali nonprofit director, narrowly lost a primary for the same seat in 2014.

More than 40,000 Somalis have settled in Minneapolis, St. Cloud and elsewhere in Minnesota, according to census estimates, drawn by the state's welcoming social programs. But community advocates say that population is much higher

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

trytrytry...did you have money on Clinton or Trump? or neither?

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

thanks for the heads up to stay out of minnesota at all costs.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i think that's is excellent news....

and i think you can support trump - i didn't support him but certainly don't hate him and will support him now - and support the gist of "black matters".....

i don't think supporting both is mutually exclusive and i don't think trump won at all because of black/police matters... maybe illegal immigrants and muslims - yes, i'd agree those were significant parts of trump win
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: trytrytry

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    trytrytry...did you have money on Clinton or Trump? or neither?
    both at various times. things broke quite well

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

everybody focused on the president he snuck in under the radar Tryer