bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

An eighth grader commits to USC

Did you guys catch this story at all.

I know coaches recruit players a year or two early from high school and all, but WTF are you thinking Tim Floyd recruiting an 8th grader.

For the second straight year, USC basketball coach Tim Floyd has received a verbal commitment from an eighth-grader.

Ryan Boatwright, a speedy 5-foot-10, 145-pound rising freshman point guard from Illinois who has yet to make a decision on where he's headed for high school (he's choosing between East Aurora High and West Aurora High), accepted Floyd's scholarship offer while at USC's camp this past weekend.

"They were the first one to show interest in Ryan," said Boatwright's father, Mike. "A lot of people have said Ryan isn't that good, but he went to USC's camp and played well."

Boatwright played well enough that Floyd put forth a scholarship offer on the final day of camp. DePaul, Indiana and a few smaller schools had expressed interest, but USC was the first to step up with an offer.

"It shocked me," Mike Boatwright said of the offer. "But Ryan loved it there and he decided on his own."

"The campus is gorgeous," he added. "It's a private school and both myself and his mom were impressed with the academic standards at USC. That's really what got us."

A year ago, Floyd and the Trojans staff stayed local and got a verbal pledge from then-14-year-old Dwayne Polee Jr., a 6-foot-6 forward who had yet to play his first high school game at Westchester High (Calif.).

Mike Boatwright said the biggest concern surrounding his 14-year-old son's decision is the potential local reaction.

"I'm tremendously concerned," he admitted. "It could get ugly as far as kids getting jealous. I also don't want it to get to his head. I want him to stay humble."

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

lol

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Isn't though coach. Who's to say that Floyd will still be USC's coach when this kid graduates from high school. What I thought was really funny was Floyd's comments in an interview. He justified this signing by saying every college coach does it.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not a good thing, because it forces other colleges to do the same. Let kids be kids. Eight years old is way too young to commit to a college team. NCAA should set a minimum age, otherwise this will get out of control.

LargeMouthBass
    LargeMouthBass's Avatar Become A Pro!

What a joke...

JAHgger4noz
    JAHgger4noz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Not a good thing, because it forces other colleges to do the same. Let kids be kids. Eight years old is way too young to commit to a college team. NCAA should set a minimum age, otherwise this will get out of control.
    8 years old is way too young to commit to one sport, never mind college. For all we know, the kid may want to be a golfer. But at 5'10", i doubt golf is in the works. Everyone wants to be the next great scout, who finds that wonder kid at an early age...a treasure that was overlooked by all.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

this is gay

no one except 12 grade seniors should be able to make any kind of commitment whatsoever

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Kid must of thought Floyd was going to last 4 more years

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

archie you fukk i thought bbd was back again!!!!!!!!!!!

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

BBD, how did your lawsuit go against the Megan's Law Website? I know they had permission to use your photo for 4 years and you were being compensated but I know they exceeded that by two years. I am curious to see how that turned out for you.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

tim floyd.

went from coaching usc to utep...over o.j. mayo!

therushishere
    therushishere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 990

Shabbaz wasnt much older when he started taking money from UCLA.

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Thanks for the post Archie... interesting to see where this kid ended up.