Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11930

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    A lot of overreaction with SBR posters

Don't be a pussy just stay and gamble
    JJ - This is the most stupidest shit you've ever posted and you post A LOT. Trying to ride out a fukkin Cat 4 hurricane is irresponsible on 1 hand and fukking stupid on the other. If you are on a suicide mission, then go ahead but if you have a wife and kids then you are a fukked up individual. If the storm becomes nothing but a whimper then fantastic but you never, ever want to be near a storm surge with high winds. Not too many worst ways to die. I live in Houston where we have had hurricanes and flash floods the past few years and it's always the dumb asses that don't heed the warnings that wind up dead. Mother Natures way of getting rid of the idiots. Ironically we had several hurricane warnings years ago that turned into nothing so people were very complacent when Katrina and Rita hit. Many people lived to regret it as their family members didn't make it because of their decision to "ride it out".

Don't be stupid, drive a few hours inland anyone near this storm. Make it a mini vacation and live to tell about it. I can guarantee you that several people are going to die as a result of this hurricane. Don't let it be you or someone you love. That's just stupid.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Where you guys at? I am just outside Melbourne - town called Viera. We are 7 miles or so from the coast. We are staying. Newer home and have storm shutters up. Will see if we regret it.
    NG - get the fukk out of there. Take a day trip west. Hurricane models are showing several different tracks. Who the hell knows what a hurricane may do. Why would you stay and risk anything stupid from happening? What if a weakened tree falls down in the street while you're driving by (which killed a young boy here in April), what if flying debris hit an electrical line that catches your house on fire while you're in it? What if a gas main explodes? Stupid shit happens in a storm. Why would you take the chance? What if there's a run on the supermarkets because people panic without electricity? I'm usually the calm, collected type but even I panicked when I went to my local grocery stores and the shelves were basically ransacked where you couldn't buy a thing? No food, no supplies, the stores were all barren. We lived off of can goods for several days. We stayed in one room with a window AC unit for a week and a half. I'll never go through that shit again. I'll be in a suite at the Ritz Carlton.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9822

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    NG - get the fukk out of there. Take a day trip west. Hurricane models are showing several different tracks. Who the hell knows what a hurricane may do. Why would you stay and risk anything stupid from happening? What if a weakened tree falls down in the street while you're driving by (which killed a young boy here in April), what if flying debris hit an electrical line that catches your house on fire while you're in it? What if a gas main explodes? Stupid shit happens in a storm. Why would you take the chance? What if there's a run on the supermarkets because people panic without electricity? I'm usually the calm, collected type but even I panicked when I went to my local grocery stores and the shelves were basically ransacked where you couldn't buy a thing? No food, no supplies, the stores were all barren. We lived off of can goods for several days. We stayed in one room with a window AC unit for a week and a half. I'll never go through that shit again. I'll be in a suite at the Ritz Carlton.
    We are prepared for all that. Our house is new house. Our electricity is all underground. We aren't leaving the house once this all starts. We have hurricane shutters up around the house. We have enough food and water to last us a week. I have a hotel room starting tomorrow night in Tampa if after this thing we feel like we need to leave. I'm confident we will be ok during storm - its aftermath that I'm more concerned about right now. We are high enough and far enough from water that we don't have a lot of concern about storm surge. I've done a lot of research on this stuff and we are as prepared as we can be for now and think we are in the best place we can be.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Also make sure you have a battery-powered device so you can stay informed. That was my biggest mistake when I stayed for the last of three hurricanes to hit Florida in 2004. When the power went out, I had no clue whether the storm was getting stronger, getting weaker, coming right toward me or moving away. The sense of not knowing what to expect for 6-8 hours was awful. That was the only hurricane I stayed for and that was a mistake; I'll never do that again.

Good luck to everyone who might be impacted by this.

mets119218
    mets119218's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3814

Guys down here let's keep communicating best we can. I am trying to put boards on my windows now they had no plywood so I had to buy cement boards which are heavy as shit. These gusts up north near Melbourne could be near cat 5 so this is going be a horrifying not. :5tay safe guys

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 284

Take care guys. This is serious. Be prepared. Good luck if you stayed.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

they got everyone running scared again with another over-hyped rainstorm. people are sheep and believe everything they are told. they cleaned out the stores again. ridiculous how people react.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Stay safe posters

trillz
    trillz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4470

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    they got everyone running scared again with another over-hyped rainstorm. people are sheep and believe everything they are told. they cleaned out the stores again. ridiculous how people react.
    Can't tell if your serious. "Rainstorm" it's gonna be stronger than Katrina was when it hits the coast

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    We are prepared for all that. Our house is new house. Our electricity is all underground. We aren't leaving the house once this all starts. We have hurricane shutters up around the house. We have enough food and water to last us a week. I have a hotel room starting tomorrow night in Tampa if after this thing we feel like we need to leave. I'm confident we will be ok during storm - its aftermath that I'm more concerned about right now. We are high enough and far enough from water that we don't have a lot of concern about storm surge. I've done a lot of research on this stuff and we are as prepared as we can be for now and think we are in the best place we can be.
    The aftermath is why you want to get out early. What if the streets are closed off because of debris and you can't leave and you're stuck for a prolonged stay (more than a week)? If you are far from water, you will probably be alright but prepare as if this could last several weeks. Been there, done that.

My sister lives 1 block from the beach in Ft. Lauderdale. They left a few days ago. It's much easier to get in then to get out.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

The aftermath is bad especially if power goes out. You'll have many stores without power and gas will be scarce. Already most gas stations in South Florida have no gas. You're lucky to find gas stations that still have premium. Also no ************ if there is a power outage in most places.

mets119218

They just announced all publix have generators here in west palm so they will be open immediately with or without power as soon as travel is safe which is good.

trillz
    trillz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4470

Quote Originally Posted by mets119218 View Post
    They just announced all publix have generators here in west palm so they will be open immediately with or without power as soon as travel is safe which is good.
    You guys getting heavy rain there yet?

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6206

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    The aftermath is bad especially if power goes out. You'll have many stores without power and gas will be scarce. Already most gas stations in South Florida have no gas. You're lucky to find gas stations that still have premium. Also no ************ if there is a power outage in most places.
    This. Last storm in my area (Tampa) wasn't anything like this (we're in that corridor that never takes a direct hit). Still lost power for 3 days. Never been so miserable. Hot, humid, no air, went to my gym to get a shower. Three quarters of the city had power within a day, I was fortunate enough to be in the other quarter. Said then and say it now, will never do that shit again. If there's even a whiff of the power being out I'm out of here. Doesn't matter where, sitting in a dark house for hours hoping the fuk'n lights come on sucks.

Mets man, for future occurrences pre-cut some 1/2" to 3/4" plywood (whatever makes you more comfortable) to cover any glass and some hurricane clips to attach to the house. Can get them at home depot, lowe's, etc. Keep plywood somewhere dry to minimize warping. After initial setup future uses will be easier. Good luck to those on the east coast.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6206

Latest updates indicate a very high chance for extended power outages in your area Mets. Frankly I think you're nuts for staying put. Leaving is @ worse an inconvenience, but nothing like not having power for days on end.

mets119218

I know it's too late time to hunker down.,we made our bathroom a campout room and for the next 14 hours going be living through this winds now around 40 mph at my house and getting heavy bands of rain on and off

mets119218

I took some pictures of how I jerry rigged my windows but not sure how to post them from iPhone

mets119218

That didn't take long power already going off and on

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

i feel for u guys. My girlfriends sister is in Jacksonville. Her and her husband are the worst procrastinators on the planet and it looks like they are stuck now. Pool is overflowing already and it is three feet from their house. Two teen age kids and they wait like idiots. I think they are blaming the dog cause the dog isn't the type u want in a hotel. Another thing they were told about when they bought it.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25136

Nothing about what I'm seeing regarding this is good. BOL to all over there

mets119218

Yeah it's easy to do that Thor I don't have anyone but myself for being here. My wife was dead set on staying she just won't leave so I can't leave her. We have a 13 year old and 2 dogs and a cat so it's tough to get a hotel but now it's too late and I just suck it up and do what I can to keep us safe. I know In 12 hours the worse will be over and my company already told me if any damage to my house they will pay for me a hotel and I can take all the time off I need paid so we will. E ok

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Good luck to all!

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by mets119218 View Post
    Yeah it's easy to do that Thor I don't have anyone but myself for being here. My wife was dead set on staying she just won't leave so I can't leave her. We have a 13 year old and 2 dogs and a cat so it's tough to get a hotel but now it's too late and I just suck it up and do what I can to keep us safe. I know In 12 hours the worse will be over and my company already told me if any damage to my house they will pay for me a hotel and I can take all the time off I need paid so we will. E ok
    Good luck bro. Sandy rocked my house but nothing compared to what u are gonna experience. I think we got hit with 70 mile an hour winds and it sounded like a train was on my roof. Can't imagine the winds doubling. I think u got to experience it once to realize maybe trying to be stubborn is not the answer. I saw on the news a bunch of people at a trailer park are gonna gut it out. That is nuts.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Good luck to all!
    Yeah okay after taunting them for three days ur conscience finally caught up with you. I hold u personally responsible for anyone that stays put and gets wrecked.

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

newguy i will hold your points for you just incase

give them back once you make it out of there

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

in all seriousness, you guys be careful

please keep us updated, the ones who are staying behind

Mac4Lyfe

I have friends in the Bahamas and Nassau has been hit hard. Trees are down all over the island. One friend has a beach home but moved inward to high ground. He tried to check on another of his properties and couldn't get far because trees are blocking all the roads. He is the self reliant type but he sounded very scared this morning. Another friend has water coming in the house from everywhere to the 2nd floor. Batelco (the electric company) smartly shut down the grid because power lines are down everywhere and people would have been electrocuted. A lot of poor foundation homes have collapsed. Exuma, Long Island, Bimini are not faring well. I have an uncle that was living on a cay down there. He got the hell out last week luckily. They are saying that the cay is under water right now.

Please pray for the Bahamas. I think it may be a catastrophic event with a lot of loss of life. Haiti is already up to 75 dead.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

My question is why isn't the UF LSU game postponed or moved? They're basically saying money & logistic problems are more important than your safety. South Carolina too. The small schools have already done something

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    My question is why isn't the UF LSU game postponed or moved? They're basically saying money & logistic problems are more important than your safety. South Carolina too. The small schools have already done something
    I think it will past Gainesville tomorrow and be gone by Saturday morning but people could be at risk traveling tomorrow. I don't take any chances and don't like that these folks put people's lives at risk. Why not move it a little west or move it to Sunday? They must feel real certain the worst will be over.

Mac4Lyfe

I sure wouldn't fly into Gville airport...

mets119218

Rain really heavy at times winds still around 45. Stay safe up in vero guys got a bad feeling about landfall there

Mac4Lyfe

I'm hearing a lot of people are hunkering down in Florida despite warnings and pleas. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Even Disney World is shutting down and they never close.

Mac4Lyfe

Reports of elderly people in mobile homes riding out the hurricane on Florida coast, ignoring evacuation warnings. WTF?

This is why we have laws to prevent people from being stupid...

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Saw a bunch of Miami cars in Clearwater today. Hopefully it doesn't circle back around and go across the state like they believe it might.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

Quote Originally Posted by trillz View Post
    Can't tell if your serious. "Rainstorm" it's gonna be stronger than Katrina was when it hits the coast
    was serious. tv stations over-hype the thing for ratings period. they could care less about anything else. maybe it will be bad for central and no fla east coast. but in no way will it be as bad as they are making it out to be. loss of power biggest concern. not starving to death or drowning. stay home, protect your property, ride it out.

First 12345 Last