TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Anybody here a true pro or even a serious semi-pro?

Just curious, have been doing well for a quite a while now (especially MMA) and just wondered if anybody that does this for a living or even as a side job would answer some questions for me. None are handicapping related, just curious about the do's and don'ts go as far as being a pro (taxes, advertising yourself?, etc)

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I am an SBR PRO

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    Just curious, have been doing well for a quite a while now (especially MMA) and just wondered if anybody that does this for a living or even as a side job would answer some questions for me. None are handicapping related, just curious about the do's and don'ts go as far as being a pro (taxes, advertising yourself?, etc)
    Are you looking for pro bettors or touts? They are only very, very rarely the same.

Advertising legitimacy in a sea of shit is expensive and may not be worth it.

Don't try to go tout because you have been successful in sports betting, you could have gone tout when you weren't successful...lol.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: unde0087

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Are you looking for pro bettors or touts? They are only very, very rarely the same.

Advertising legitimacy in a sea of shit is expensive and may not be worth it.

Don't try to go tout because you have been successful in sports betting, you could have gone tout when you weren't successful...lol.

Very true, I meant more like running your own site with tips and hints about games/situations/ than actually selling picks. That is an idea I've had. If it got big enough, it could be a decent revenue source to compliment things. I guess my main thing is hearing experiences from those that decided I'm going to do nothing but this for a living and what they went through (good and bad)

RudyRuetigger

I don't wanna tout my own horn, but I might go toot.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

I've been Pro since March. Up 37k so far with my 1st year.

BeatTheJerk

I'm nothing close to anything a tout. Not my style, it's my picks & my money get your own is my motto.

TPowell

Do you do anything else on the side or?

BeatTheJerk

Not in the last 6 plus months.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

A tout is not a pro But a failed gambler or a scammer salesman

Touts don't even know anything about sports or most of them do not there salesman that try to scam people

bhoor
    bhoor's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3704

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheJerk View Post
    Not in the last 6 plus months.
    How do you manage your hours when you do not have any day job? What's the plan B if you get rough stretch?

BeatTheJerk

The tax thing is very interesting for me, not something I can help you with right now. Basically whatever tax forms I may receive through Circle or Coinbase & or Bitpay if at all I will file that sum on a 1090 form under "hobby gambling". I read that Bitpay doesn't report unless you have 200 transaction or 20k received. The other two companies I'll have to wait & see. I will always try & conceal some income too via check or money transfers.

xKMACKx
    xKMACKx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8449

I do work for a free picks/tips website which is pretty big now. Guy that owns it makes a fortune now, but you're going to have to spend a lot for efficient SEO, digital marketing, a website to get started (if you don't know to do any of that). Slapping a Wix website together isn't going to work, unless maybe you already had a huge following. Then you'll need to establish a email subscription list to really gain a following and make money off affiliate marketing (if you're not charging for your picks service). It's possible, but not as easy as spending 10 minutes putting your picks on a page, you need to treat it like a business. There are a lot of facets involved in the process. It's a competitive niche, so it'd take quite a bit of work to start ranking highly in search engines.
    Last edited by xKMACKx; 09-19-16 at 08:21 PM.

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by bhoor View Post
    How do you manage your hours when you do not have any day job? What's the plan B if you get rough stretch?
    Basically I'm gonna do this until I run out of money. Then I go back to my day job as a electrician living just above pay check to paycheck. I'll do what I have to do in order to make some kind of living.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

I sell shrimp ...nothing more nothing less .

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by xKMACKx View Post
    I do work for a free picks/tips website which is pretty big now. Guy that owns it makes a fortune now, but you're going to have to spend a lot for efficient SEO, digital marketing, a website to get started (if you don't know to do any of that). Slapping a Wix website together isn't going to work, unless maybe you already had a huge following. Then you'll need to establish a email subscription list to really gain a following and make money off affiliate marketing (if you're not charging for your picks service). It's possible, but not as easy as spending 10 minutes putting your picks on a page, you need to treat it like a business. There are a lot of facets involved in the process.
    The plan is to def put up a wordpress type site and build up hype with social media and online forums eventually to drive people there and hopefully get a subscription list or forums. Is SEO REALLY that important? I mean I know its important but I feel like I can grab enough people from social media with the tools I have in place to get started well enough

RudyRuetigger

mods close this thread

we do not need people helping other people go tout

Dead serious, fukk off powell

BeatTheJerk

Manage my hours ? I do wtf I want when I want. I probably invest 15-20 hours a week in handicapping & research advice/opinions from others. 3 things I can really focus on while being Pro is the gym, chasing puss, & quality time with my son.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

Very true, I meant more like running your own site with tips and hints about games/situations/ than actually selling picks. That is an idea I've had. If it got big enough, it could be a decent revenue source to compliment things. I guess my main thing is hearing experiences from those that decided I'm going to do nothing but this for a living and what they went through (good and bad)
    you dont need to run a site you have this one to share with post ideas discussions, wager on this with betpoints, and get more info here. you have 15,000 posts keep it up!

xKMACKx

The plan is to def put up a wordpress type site and build up hype with social media and online forums eventually to drive people there and hopefully get a subscription list or forums. Is SEO REALLY that important? I mean I know its important but I feel like I can grab enough people from social media with the tools I have in place to get started well enough
    If you have a big enough social media following, I suppose yeah social media would suffice, if your intentions are just to make some extra cash every month. Especially YouTube and Twitter. Then you could improve the SEO as you went along. The majority of visitors from the websites I have come from search engines. You're getting people that are for sure looking for your keywords on search engines. Social media is always hit and miss with regards to clicks.

You could just do it as a side project and see what comes of it. Never know if you don't try.

xKMACKx

The ultimate goal is to get people to sign-up for your affiliate links, if you're not running a tout service. So, ideally you will have to attract people that are new to betting on sports online.

The advertising companies (Google AdSense, Bing Media Net) won't run ads on gambling related websites, typically, so affiliate marketing would be the only vehicle to make money.
    Last edited by xKMACKx; 09-19-16 at 08:53 PM.

Hu$tle
    Hu$tle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1247

im so sharp im square

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by xKMACKx View Post
    The ultimate goal is to get people to sign-up for your affiliate links, if you're not running a tout service. So, ideally you will have to attract people that are new to betting on sports online.

The advertising companies (Google AdSense, Bing Media Net) won't run ads on gambling related websites, typically, so affiliate marketing would be the only vehicle to make money.
    Didn't even think about adsense and stuff not being on gambling websites. I hear AdSense is very overrated though and doesn't pay much. The real money is in affiliate marketing like you said. Still need to do my research on SEO's. I'm a tech guy (jack of all trades type on the job) but don't know much about web page building and the like unfortunately

TPowell

As you can see, Rudy is a conniving POS that twists things that make no sense

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    mods close this thread

we do not need people helping other people go tout

Dead serious, fukk off powell
    Great call here, Rudy.

This guy Powell is clearly up to no good, and I'm not sure if you know this or not, but he is a proven stiffer of children's charities. Sickening.

KickShootThrow
    Make SBR Sharp Again!
    KickShootThrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 277

Powell, still waiting on your promised donation to charity fund.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Charging people for picks is a little hairy

I've seen "handicapper coaches" who will give their picks & teach what they look for, how to make models, how to use them to help make your picks, etc.

Those guys work hard and I don't see anything wrong with trying to make some $ off their work

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Charging people for picks is a little hairy

I've seen "handicapper coaches" who will give their picks & teach what they look for, how to make models, how to use them to help make your picks, etc.

Those guys work hard and I don't see anything wrong with trying to make some $ off their work

I'm honestly thinking of putting a class on Udemy for free to be honest. Nothing crazy in depth but the basic idea of power ratings and such

RudyRuetigger

powell you fukkin use yards per game as your only key stat.

fukk off with your model acting BS

ive seen paper airplanes look more real

TPowell

powell you fukkin use yards per game as your only key stat.

fukk off with your model acting BS

ive seen paper airplanes look more real

Put up or shut up you scrub. 250 plays from now until the end of the year. Dogs risking 1 unit and favorites to win 1 unit. You name the stakes

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Put up or shut up you scrub. 250 plays from now until the end of the year. Dogs risking 1 unit and favorites to win 1 unit. You name the stakes

Stop with the tough guy theatrics.

You've already proven to be a stiff.

TPowell

lol thats what I thought, back away. Proven to be a stiff. You should be ashamed of yourself covering for that tout in the other thread

RudyRuetigger

i think i deserved atleast 1 fukkin laugh here

I don't wanna tout my own horn, but I might go toot.

RudyRuetigger

powell has stiffed the kids, now want to enter an ebattle with me as if he will pay this time though

powell you are too fukkin funny man

powell try online jokes, i just gave you a free one earlier

TPowell

powell has stiffed the kids, now want to enter an ebattle with me as if he will pay this time though

powell you are too fukkin funny man

powell try online jokes, i just gave you a free one earlier

Tuck your tail and run Rudy. I'll make a donation just to get your in a 1 vs 1 capping contest

12 Last