Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 396

Celtics Sign Al Horford

Celtics sign former Hawks big man Al Horford to four-year, $113 million contract

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/b...medium=twitter

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Always felt Horford was overrated.

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

I am fine with this move. Might have given up all hope if they signed DH to this type of deal.

Long shot, but can`t hurt with the recruitment of Durant.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Team might lose 50 games

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

The ultimate good-but-not-great player signs for a team already full of them.

If they get Durant they're dangerous as fukk though. Probably favourites to win the East.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 396

Al Horford wanted a deal around $140M from the Atlanta Hawks. (Via The Vertical)

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Well I think he helps Boston

I approve

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Al Horford wanted a deal around $140M from the Atlanta Hawks. (Via The Vertical)
    It's hard for me to believe these guys actually argue about making $134M versus making $140M. But hey, different worlds I guess.

If you gave me just $5M right now I'd live happily for the rest of my life.

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4137

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Team might lose 50 games
    They lost 34 last year and just got better. No way they are in Cleveland's league, but how in the world do you have them losing 50 next year???

sandos139
    The Miami Connection
    sandos139's Avatar Become A Pro!

They finally made a move

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Always felt Horford was overrated.
    He had a 4 year stretch where he couldn't stay on the court. Solid player but not a game changer

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    They lost 34 last year and just got better. No way they are in Cleveland's league, but how in the world do you have them losing 50 next year???
    Easily top 4 in the east he's probably trolling lol

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

Bad move by the Celtics. You give Horford almost 28 million a year for the next 4 years, but Horford doesn't get them over the hump. A lot of GMs are desperate so they are gone sign any player with a name. Now if they get KD on board they have a title contender, but Al by himself doesn't get them past the Cavs.
    Last edited by NardVa; 07-02-16 at 09:27 PM.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

Durant said he wanted horford. He gave them a list.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Boston becoming unlivable.

Al will not stick around.

BriGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NardVa View Post
    Bad move by the Celtics. You give Horford almost 28 million a year for the next 4 years, but Horford doesn't get them over the hump. A lot of GMs are desperate so they are gone sign any player with a name. Now if they get KD on board they have a title contender, but Al by himself doesn't get them past the Cavs.
    Just because he doesn't get them past the Cavs doesn't mean it was a bad move. Who should they have gone after instead? There isn't a single free agent in the league that could get the Celtics past the Cavs except Durant, who they are desperately pursuing (and some think the Horford signing increased their chances with KD).

The Celtics announced the Horford signing *while* they were actually in their meeting with KD. Makes you wonder........

DeathAdder
    DeathAdder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8209

Ainge best GM in the NBA. Guy is building a strong team that more than likely beats the Cavs next season east conference finals

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Even if they start the season with last year's core + Horford + new picks, they have options. If this rook impresses then half the league that isnt gunning for a title could be interested in trading their best player to the Cs for him and future picks. They can sign another max guy bringing in 2 pieces to the team that was already third best in east. Or they can just wait a year and sign KD then.

As for Cavs, they lose their 2nd PG and hopes ride on Irving staying on the court.

NardVa

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    Just because he doesn't get them past the Cavs doesn't mean it was a bad move. Who should they have gone after instead? There isn't a single free agent in the league that could get the Celtics past the Cavs except Durant, who they are desperately pursuing (and some think the Horford signing increased their chances with KD).

The Celtics announced the Horford signing *while* they were actually in their meeting with KD. Makes you wonder........
    If you are not making moves to be a title contender, you stay put so you are bad enough to get lottery picks. The Celtics keep hovering around .500 and making the playoffs only to get dumped in the first round. That's what Horford is, just good enough to get you back in the playoffs. If you want to get players like KD, Kyrie or Anthony Davis in the draft, don't make the playoffs. That's why the 76ers and Wolves keep tanking and dumping their veteran players every year. They want to get that franchise player in the draft.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

you still need effective big guys to win

NardVa

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAdder View Post
    Ainge best GM in the NBA. Guy is building a strong team that more than likely beats the Cavs next season east conference finals
    Cavs have two franchise players in Lebron and Irving. The Celtics have a bunch of role players. The Hawks with Horford (when they won 60 games) couldn't beat the Cavs two sessons ago in the Eastern Conference Finals. They got swept by the Cavs and that Hawks team is better team than any Celtics team with Horford.
    Last edited by NardVa; 07-03-16 at 08:10 AM.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Great signing if they get durant too

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

I'll be surprised if Durant signs there but either way they're going to be one of the top 4 in that conference. I'm curious to see where Wade goes. If he goes to Milwaukee it could either jump start that team or drag them down if he's hurt a lot. Eastern Conference is gaining steam with all these signings. If Wade goes to the Knicks that could be a team that's built for a playoff run.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by klemopixx View Post
    I'll be surprised if Durant signs there but either way they're going to be one of the top 4 in that conference. I'm curious to see where Wade goes. If he goes to Milwaukee it could either jump start that team or drag them down if he's hurt a lot. Eastern Conference is gaining steam with all these signings. If Wade goes to the Knicks that could be a team that's built for a playoff run.
    me too, twitter would explode, but it appears they have a chance right now.

i expect a 2 year deal with okc and him opting out next summer again.

i wouldnt rule out pat riley just yet, he is meeting with the heat today, his last meeting.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Celtics sign former Hawks big man Al Horford to four-year, $113 million contract

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/b...medium=twitter
    So agree with this, glad the Rockets stayed away.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAdder View Post
    Let an outsider with no bias explain something to you. Boston has no chance to beat the Cavs next season. Boston may be a 2nd round team now but they will have their hands full with Toronto.

Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5662

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Durant said he wanted horford. He gave them a list.
    Would be surprised if they actually made the move because of Durant.
    1) Durant is most likely resigning with OKC.
    2) Even if he goes to Boston, he never beats James in the playoffs.
    3) Durant is injury-prone.

Rod Tidwell
    Rod Tidwell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Unlivable? Explain.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Boston becoming unlivable.

Al will not stick around.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

wow, talk about overpaid.

Horford is old. He will be 35 when this contract ends.

I'm surprised the Celtics did this.

He's not worth it.

BriGuy

If you are not making moves to be a title contender, you stay put so you are bad enough to get lottery picks.
    Well that's pretty stupid for 2 reasons:

(1) They aren't bad enough to do that

(2) They currently control the 1st round selection of arguably the worst team in the NBA, the Brooklyn Nets, for each of the next 2 years, so they *already* are in a position to get 2 lottery picks

(2a) 1 of those 2 picks is a first round swap option, so even if the Celtics *did* tank, they wouldn't get 2 lottery picks. They would just keep their pick and let Brooklyn keep their's.

The Celtics keep hovering around .500 and making the playoffs only to get dumped in the first round. That's what Horford is, just good enough to get you back in the playoffs. If you want to get players like KD, Kyrie or Anthony Davis in the draft, don't make the playoffs. That's why the 76ers and Wolves keep tanking and dumping their veteran players every year. They want to get that franchise player in the draft.
    And how has that strategy worked for those teams?
    Last edited by BriGuy; 07-03-16 at 01:33 PM.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

The Celtics aim to be like the Spurs. They want free agents to know they arent taking seasons off to get draft picks. The see what happened to LA IMO and that scares the hell out of them. Doc Rivers was the biggest tanker of all time before they got their big 3 but now 3 guys rather go somewhere warm.

twisted_rhino
    The Miami Connection
    twisted_rhino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1957

Al Horford is a great player. I think he'll do good for Boston.
    Points Awarded:

sandos139 gave twisted_rhino 100 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

They overpaid, but had no choice. I think it's a good move. They still need another big player, but look for them to be active at the trade deadline next season. Problem is, they have the Nets picks the next two years (swap next year, outright in 2018) and it's hard to trade those because they are likely lottery potential picks.