1. #36
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar VIP Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 83,142
    Betpoints: 4608

    Quote Originally Posted by JArrieta49 View Post
    Funny thing is Chris Sale's FIP is higher this year than last year... 2.73 vs 2.84... Probably due for some regression, his FIP is higher than David Price's but his ERA is 1/4th as high. Baseball can be a bitch.
    Not much difference between 2.73 and 2.84, Sale is an elite pitcher either way. My model has him as the second best rated pitcher in the game behind only Kershaw. And Price's FIP is encouraging, he should be really good going forward with the ERA dropping steadily.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  2. #37
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,934
    Betpoints: 66

    Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Bout to be 9-0 today.

    Sorry the jinx didn't work out.

  3. #38
    JArrieta49
    JArrieta49's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-14-16
    Posts: 155
    Betpoints: 209

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Not much difference between 2.73 and 2.84, Sale is an elite pitcher either way. My model has him as the second best rated pitcher in the game behind only Kershaw. And Price's FIP is encouraging, he should be really good going forward with the ERA dropping steadily.
    What in your model puts Sale above Arrieta? Just curious.

    Kershaw
    Arrieta
    Sale
    Syndergaard
    Scherzer

    My top 5 in order. Can't go wrong with the first 3.

  4. #39
    JArrieta49
    JArrieta49's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-14-16
    Posts: 155
    Betpoints: 209

    My problem with jumping on the Sale hype is he is only facing bad offenses. Kind of a product of playing in the AL right now I guess.

    Twins - 27th in OPS
    Yankees - 26th in OPS
    A's - 24th in OPS
    Angels - 21st in OPS
    Blue Jays - 20th in OPS
    Indians - 16th in OPS
    Astros - 13th in OPS
    Rays - 12th in OPS
    Orioles - 6th in OPS

    Can't get much easier than that.

  5. #40
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,934
    Betpoints: 66

    Quote Originally Posted by JArrieta49 View Post
    My problem with jumping on the Sale hype is he is only facing bad offenses. Kind of a product of playing in the AL right now I guess.

    Twins - 27th in OPS
    Yankees - 26th in OPS
    A's - 24th in OPS
    Angels - 21st in OPS
    Blue Jays - 20th in OPS
    Indians - 16th in OPS
    Astros - 13th in OPS
    Rays - 12th in OPS
    Orioles - 6th in OPS

    Can't get much easier than that.



    Kershaw.

    Atlanta - 30th
    San Diego - 29th
    San Diego - 29th
    LA Angels - 21st
    Blue Jays - 20th
    Mets - 14th
    San Fran - 11th
    San Fran - 11th
    Miami - 8th


    Sale - 18.33
    Kershaw - 19.22

    Kershaw managed to get easier than that.

  6. #41
    JArrieta49
    JArrieta49's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-14-16
    Posts: 155
    Betpoints: 209

    Sounds like Arrieta is the winner then. Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Arizona... 4 tough games out of his 8.

  7. #42
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar VIP Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 83,142
    Betpoints: 4608

    Quote Originally Posted by JArrieta49 View Post
    What in your model puts Sale above Arrieta? Just curious.

    Kershaw
    Arrieta
    Sale
    Syndergaard
    Scherzer

    My top 5 in order. Can't go wrong with the first 3.
    It is a complicated formula to determine overall model rating, but just eyeballing it, Sale has the better walk rate than Arrieta and they are close in everything else. Model is also high on Price, no doubt because of great K/BB ratio, so he is worth following while he still may be undervalued.

    Top 6:

    Kershaw
    Sale
    Arrieta
    Price
    Strasburg
    Syndergaard

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  8. #43
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,934
    Betpoints: 66

    Quote Originally Posted by JArrieta49 View Post
    Sounds like Arrieta is the winner then. Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Arizona... 4 tough games out of his 8.

    Yep Arrieta faced a tough schedule.

    Can't get much tougher than that.

  9. #44
    StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-09-10
    Posts: 10,567
    Betpoints: 15379

    In particular years, things don't always "catch up with you" --- in baseball, "truth" is typically over a 3-5 year span. You really need that kind of aggregate data. Some years a team just has a knack to get clutch hits, or Sale has that much more mojo to get clutch outs after giving up more hits (or walks) than expected, keeping ERA down ...

    Stats really NEED 3 years, even though they can be demonstrative in a single year ... they aren't always

  10. #45
    RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-04-13
    Posts: 13,322
    Betpoints: 5181

    Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    McHuge with a great pitching outing. Too bad Sale was 1 run better to win 2-1
    Houston only -140 for +1.5 would have made sense if you were backing Astros here.
    No need to be a hero with the ML against a guy 8-0 and dealing.

  11. #46
    RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-04-13
    Posts: 13,322
    Betpoints: 5181

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Are you guys making a lot of money with the White Sox… I haven't really been playing them
    They lost 2 or 3 straight JJ before they won last night.
    They had their Ace stud last night and only won by 1...not a great team by any stretch and they will come down to earth.
    Best to back them with Quintana and Sale IMO...and I think they have another guy that's not too bad - can't remember his name.

  12. #47
    RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-04-13
    Posts: 13,322
    Betpoints: 5181

    Quintana is an Under machine...I only played Under 8 small today because I don't know much about Gee for KC.

  13. #48
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,934
    Betpoints: 66

    Quote Originally Posted by RollinDo View Post
    Houston only -140 for +1.5 would have made sense if you were backing Astros here.
    No need to be a hero with the ML against a guy 8-0 and dealing.


    Houston +1.5 should of also been a loss. White Sox squandered multiple opportunities. And Houston nailed one big hit off Sale.
    Eaton

  14. #49
    StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-09-10
    Posts: 10,567
    Betpoints: 15379

    Quote Originally Posted by RollinDo View Post
    They lost 2 or 3 straight JJ before they won last night.
    They had their Ace stud last night and only won by 1...not a great team by any stretch and they will come down to earth.
    Best to back them with Quintana and Sale IMO...and I think they have another guy that's not too bad - can't remember his name.
    They have come down to earth. Rodon is good and the back end has been productive, but Latos is already showing that you can't get away with giving up 9-12 hits and expect to keep runs from crossing home plate.

    Tonight should be an over play

  15. #50
    StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-09-10
    Posts: 10,567
    Betpoints: 15379

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Houston +1.5 should of also been a loss. White Sox squandered multiple opportunities. And Houston nailed one big hit off Sale.
    Eaton
    Yeah, I took Sox -1.5 and it was a bit risky given their slump offensively for a few here, but it was a solid play. I played White Sox -.5 first 5 innings and cashed, so it worked out ok

    "should have" btw

  16. #51
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,934
    Betpoints: 66

    Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Yeah, I took Sox -1.5 and it was a bit risky given their slump offensively for a few here, but it was a solid play. I played White Sox -.5 first 5 innings and cashed, so it worked out ok

    "should have" btw

    Haven't been able to hit for shit, but you're betting on Sale holding them to less than 2 or less. They have 2nd and 3rd with 1 out I think, no score. Eaton led off the 7th or 8th with a triple and didn't score. Lots of blown chances for them. Houston did blow any chances since I don't even know if they had a guy get on 2nd base all game.

  17. #52
    RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-04-13
    Posts: 13,322
    Betpoints: 5181

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Kershaw.

    Atlanta - 30th
    San Diego - 29th
    San Diego - 29th
    LA Angels - 21st
    Blue Jays - 20th
    Mets - 14th
    San Fran - 11th
    San Fran - 11th
    Miami - 8th


    Sale - 18.33
    Kershaw - 19.22

    Kershaw managed to get easier than that.
    Add to it that Kershaw never gives up diddly squat to SF in his career and he's faced them twice.
    Miami was his only kryptonite, and he had 1 bad inning in that one.

  18. #53
    JArrieta49
    JArrieta49's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-14-16
    Posts: 155
    Betpoints: 209

    Sale uses his arm to generate the vast majority of his power. Very little power generation in his lower half.

    This results in dead arm phases where Sale just turns into a meatball spinning turd a few stretches every year.

    This is what separates Sale from guys like Kershaw or Arrieta.

    Might be starting a stretch like that tonight. Something to watch out for.

First 12
Top