daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Steve Kerr being the coach of the year is a disgrace

Kerr wasn't even the best coach on his own team

this would be giving player of the year to Russell Westbrook if the Thunder went 28-2 when he didn't play

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Stop

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I agree actually. Rarely do I think coach of the team with the best record deserves Coach of the Year, that award should go to a coach that got more from his team than was expected.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I never understood the argument that Walton should get 100% of the credit for the games he coached. Its not like he came in and implemented a whole new system, his playbook, and created new relationships with players. This was all set in Steve Kerr's system. He was coaching Steve's game plan that was tailored to the players they have.

And BTW, whatever team Walton coaches next year, we should look for under the season win total IMO. He is going to try to implement Warriors ball on a halfcourt team... Kind of like Phil Jax is doing with the triangle.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anyone can coach GSW

Mark Jackson won with lesser team there

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    I never understood the argument that Walton should get 100% of the credit for the games he coached. Its not like he came in and implemented a whole new system, his playbook, and created new relationships with players. This was all set in Steve Kerr's system. He was coaching Steve's game plan that was tailored to the players they have.

And BTW, whatever team Walton coaches next year, we should look for under the season win total IMO. He is going to try to implement Warriors ball on a halfcourt team... Kind of like Phil Jax is doing with the triangle.
    I think the point is neither of those guys should have won. This is certainly debatable as they did just have the best season in the history of the NBA, hard not to give it one of them. But other coaches did amazing jobs with much, much less talent.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Anyone can coach GSW
    Yes, that was what I was alluding to in my post.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    I think the point is neither of those guys should have won. This is certainly debatable as they did just have the best season in the history of the NBA, hard not to give it one of them. But other coaches did amazing jobs with much, much less talent.
    Exactly, like Stevens, Clifford and even Stotts.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post

Agree. Stevens has a Bad News Bears-Mighty Ducks team over there and made em scary.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

Clifford

HendoNation
    HendoNation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1194

This is silly. I understand your points, and if the team topped out at 70 wins, maybe I'd agree, but this was the best regular season of all time. No brainer you have to give it to him.

Did Phil Jackson not deserve it in 95-96 either?

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

It was Steve Kerr who started Draymond Green and decided he can have the freedom to run fastbreaks and be a point forward. Mark jackson started David Lee. So yes, Kerr deserves the award.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by HendoNation View Post
    This is silly. I understand your points, and if the team topped out at 70 wins, maybe I'd agree, but this was the best regular season of all time. No brainer you have to give it to him.

Did Phil Jackson not deserve it in 95-96 either?
    Not silly at all and I disagree with you totally. The Warriors did not need much coaching and Phil PROBABLY did not deserve it that 72-10 year either, although that would be contingent on whether or not some other team overachieved that season.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by champlain View Post
    It was Steve Kerr who started Draymond Green and decided he can have the freedom to run fastbreaks and be a point forward. Mark jackson started David Lee. So yes, Kerr deserves the award.
    Does not change the fact that Kerr had a lot more to work with than the three coaches I mentioned.

HendoNation
    HendoNation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1194

What about Pop? He's always had Duncan/Parker/Ginobli so does he not deserve his 3 COTYs?

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Brad Stevens got jobbed

sk0002
    sk0002's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7156

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Theres no guarantee these coaches would have won 73 games with this warriors squad. We're talking about all time records right here, it's a ridiculous achievement no matter how you see it. Luke Walton may have won 24 games to start the season but something people dont realize was that he abused the "death lineup" that Steve Kerr started with. If he were to coach the dubs the whole season, I think that by mid season his key players would have been burned out, either fatigued / injured. He literally abused starters minutes and theres a reason why guys like Speights struggled under luke walton and all of a sudden becoming a scoring machine off the bench under Steve Kerr. Kerr using his overall rosters much much better than luke walton who did nothing but abuse the key players minutes. If Luke Walton were to coach the dubs whole season, i doubt we'd see the dubs going into the playoffs fully healthy this year.
    Last edited by sk0002; 04-28-16 at 12:32 PM.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by sk0002 View Post
    Theres no guarantee these coaches would have won 73 games with this warriors squad. We're talking about all time records right here, it's a ridiculous achievement no matter how you see it. Luke Walton may have won 24 games to start the season but something people dont realize was that he abused the "death lineup" that Steve Kerr started with. If he were to coach the dubs the whole season, I think that by mid season his key players would have been burned out, either fatigued / injured. He literally abused starters minutes and theres a reason why guys like Speights struggled under luke walton and all of a sudden becoming a scoring machine off the bench under Steve Kerr. Kerr using his overall rosters much much better than luke walton who did nothing but abuse the key players minutes. If Luke Walton were to coach the dubs whole season, i doubt we'd see the dubs going into the playoffs fully healthy this year.
    Right and the PLAYERS deserve every award that they will win. And while yes, Kerr did a great coaching job when it came to managing the roster, the other three guys I mentioned had their teams out-perform expectations more than the Warriors did.

My biggest and main point is that with great, record setting teams, it is usually more about the players than the coaches.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the Cubs win 115 games and the Phillies win 81 this year who gets the coach of the year? I find it more impressive to exceed expectations when you have the pressure already there as opposed to being projected an underdog and exceeding expectations. GS was tops in ATS and set the record this year...Kerr wins it as should (Maddon) Cubs if they smashed the 94 win projection. Much easier to motivate players as underdogs rather than favorites.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    If the Cubs win 115 games and the Phillies win 81 this year who gets the coach of the year? I find it more impressive to exceed expectations when you have the pressure already there as opposed to being projected an underdog and exceeding expectations. GS was tops in ATS and set the record this year...Kerr wins it as should (Maddon) Cubs if they smashed the 94 win projection. Much easier to motivate players as underdogs rather than favorites.
    Meh, depends on what criteria you want to use. For me personally, first thing I do is "penalize" the best team (probably wrong word but you get the idea) and look for overachieving teams that either made the playoffs or were in the playoff race until the final weeks of the season. If nobody fits that criteria, THEN you could go back and give to best team.

Using your example, yes Philly manager probably did best job of all if they win 81 games, but if they still finish double-digit games out of wild card spot, he probably would not get my vote for award.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well my example wasn't the best but in the NBA half of the league makes the playoffs so using that criteria in baseball is not really fair. You would vote for the Phillies coach and I understand that I just don't have the same thought process. I think it's more impressive to not only be the preseason favorite but to destroy the league during the regular season. Tons of teams cannot hold these expectations every year in all sports even if on paper you are the best. I disagree that its just the players as you and gold said that anyone could coach this team to 73 wins but you're the experts. You need the coach and a good script to make it happen...I'm sure B-rad will be there soon.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

He missed more than half the season.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

Quote Originally Posted by champlain View Post
    It was also kerr who had to go back to Lee in the finals.

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

It's kind of unfair to say "Kerr has a lot more to work with" does that mean no matter what their record was he shouldn't get it? However in this case I think someone else should get it since Kerr didn't even coach full year.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I know Golden State has pure raw talent.... but you still need someone to put them inline with the system etc. There's been NBA teams in the past with pure raw talent that NEVER WENT ANYWHERE. Winning 73 games is a huge accomplishment. I think that's why they made Kerr the coach of the year.

I honestly can't think of a top notch 2nd place coach??? Who could it be? Nothing really stands out?

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Surprised to see that Phil Jackson only won the award once, though it was in the season in which they won 72

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

We always make the arguments say Kerr went to the Knicks instead he goes 20–62

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Jesus couldn't coach the Knicks to 30 wins

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Jesus couldn't coach the Knicks to 30 wins
    Knicks are an absolute fukking joke

Smoove
    howbow dah
    Smoove's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 403

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post

Agreed. Pretty sure Kerr still had quite a few things to say while Walton was in "charge".

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Do other GMs really think Walton is a good coach, just because of what happened this year? I really find that odd, unless he was well thought of before this year.

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

This is like Leo winning for the Revenant. Sure, he had better performances, but it was sort of an 'Ok it's your turn' move on the part of the academy. Kerr has had a pretty good two years.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7787

I'm liking what Mr. Dozer says about the under on whoever Luke coaches next year. I think that would be my first season total future bet ever. I think it would have to fit the criteria though of him trying to transform a team into the Warriors that has no business doing such.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    I'm liking what Mr. Dozer says about the under on whoever Luke coaches next year. I think that would be my first season total future bet ever. I think it would have to fit the criteria though of him trying to transform a team into the Warriors that has no business doing such.
    Well I think he is smart enough not to try force fit a system on a roster that doesn't match, but he and almost any other coach is not gonna make a bad team good. It just doesn't happen in the NBA.

12 Last