View Poll Results: Will Rick Carlisle Be Fired If Mavs Miss The Playoffs?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes – Mark Cuban Doesn’t Take Any Sh#$

4 13.79%
  • No – Mavs Had A Ton Of Injuries. It’s Not Rick’s Fault.

25 86.21%
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Will Rick Carlisle Be Fired If Mavs Miss The Playoffs?

Voice your opinion.

iceman02
    iceman02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2965

No he brought them a championship. And hes working with scrubs.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Carlisle an above average coach that doesn't have the horses to compete. Cuban smart enough to realize this.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Top 3 coach in the NBA. No chance.

WalkingLuckCharm
    WalkingLuckCharm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2947

they have the weakest roster theyve had in years... and cuban probably sucks him off too

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Undeniably Top 10, with zero chance of getting fired.
    So many BOOB head coaches in the league now, with more loser, zipperheads on TV waiting for their next chance to get
    guaranteed money.

l7ustin
    l7ustin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2724

Only if you can name 5 better current nba coaches

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They keep getting worse

Cuban not a good owner

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    They keep getting worse

Cuban not a good owner
    Really? Tell us more Corbin

thedirk
    thedirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 709

The Mavs weren't expected to make the playoffs according to a lot of expert predictions. Teams like the Pelicans and Jazz were expected to make a jump.

They came into the season with Matthews expected to return in December from achiles surgery. Parsons also out until December from knee injury.

Their early season success was a big surprise and with the West being very mediocre made it look like they'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

Now... I do think Carlisle has mismanaged this team. He is obsessed with playing multiple point guards at the same time and they keep getting burned on defense because they're so outmatched against far more athletic teams. Namely Barea... he literally can't guard anyone... and without anyone in the lineup to cover up for him... it's pretty bleak for the Mavs.

I can't guarantee the results would be different if he had given a guy like Justin Anderson more of a chance, but it wouldn't have hurt. It's comical at times to see the switches on defense with a guy like Barea on Gay or Barnes.

Still, Carlisle has the second safest job in the league and he signed a huge contract earlier in this season. They can lose every game and he'll be around.
    Points Awarded:

Seto gave thedirk 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Carlisle an above average coach that doesn't have the horses to compete. Cuban smart enough to realize this.
    I agree about the coach part. I don't know exactly what Cuban would be thinking about though.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Top 3 coach in the NBA. No chance.
    Yes. Super high quality coach... but has he lost the connection with the team?

I say you have to fire him. I think he's lost that superior connection. There's simply no belief to win.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

that would be an absolutely retarded decision by management.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16154

He's the head of the coaches union for a reason: he has one of the safest gigs in the league. So many owners/ GMs pray that they can turn the fortunes of their team around by making a snap change ...Mark Cuban is not so stupid.
    Points Awarded:

Bill Dozer gave IBetYou 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

The Mavs are in the no-man's land. No idea what they can do in this spot. Dirk really should retire and they got a huge lemon in DWill. If I were Cuban I would completely nuke that roster, maybe get into the race to the bottom for the next 2-3 year; but I do not think he is interested in that. If I were Carlisle, I would quit and look for something better to do with my life. That team is not going to be competitive at least over the next 3-5 years.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    that would be an absolutely retarded decision by management.

Quote Originally Posted by IBetYou View Post
    He's the head of the coaches union for a reason: he has one of the safest gigs in the league. So many owners/ GMs pray that they can turn the fortunes of their team around by making a snap change ...Mark Cuban is not so stupid.
    Um... why did the Detroit Pistons fire him in 2003?

Next year or whatever.... Pistons won the Championship with Larry Brown.

Why did the Indiana Pacers fire him in 2007 if he's so good?

Again... he's a good coach. But if you've lost that passion to play for your coach.... the coach must be fired.

IBetYou

I don't think anyone's lost their passion to play for him. Parsons is OUT for the season, Williams is hurt (nothing new there). Mathews is just 1 year removed from a torn ACL. Their FA plans came crashing down last summer and that has ultimately spoiled their season.

To say that they're out of the playoff picture because the players don't like the coach is well wide of the mark.

l7ustin

They keep thinking they can get a big fish in free agency and so far have been unsuccessful this team was not a playoff team and over performed you dont get fired as a coach for that you get rewarded.

They won last night so who knows maybe they can still get in

hartgers
    hartgers's Avatar Become A Pro!

fire them all, then move the team to montreal

jjgold

We are seeing big name free agents most of the time in all sports do not have a big impact on team success

Teams win not one player

l7ustin

in basketball you need stars. lebron makes the finals every year no matter what team hes on.

jjgold

Spurs, Golden St, Bulls all built up in organization

How many titles do they have?

l7ustin

bulls won all of their titles when they had the best player ever to play basketball. Duncan is probably top ten to ever play and all of the spurs rings can be attributed to him.

TheMoneyShot

Can Carlisle win tonight?

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7671

Quote Originally Posted by l7ustin View Post
    in basketball you need stars. lebron makes the finals every year no matter what team hes on.
    Tell him to go the west

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

no they have a bad roster unless you blame him for bad free agents.

jjgold

Many think he's a pretty good coach always keep some competitive which is a sign of a good coach

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

You know who is really making this coach look bad? Rondo. He looks like a stud PG in Sactown but Carlisle wouldn't swallow his pride and give the reigns to him for the good of the team. For a while it looked like Rondo was making the Kings a playoff team. The Mavs could have had the NBA assist leader but instead they have JJ Barea getting 37 minutes.

But...It seems like coaches usually get fired when the roster is perceived to be on the way up. No new coaches want to be in Fred Hoiberg's position where things are on the way down and you are the fall guy.

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    You know who is really making this coach look bad? Rondo. He looks like a stud PG in Sactown but Carlisle wouldn't swallow his pride and give the reigns to him for the good of the team. For a while it looked like Rondo was making the Kings a playoff team. The Mavs could have had the NBA assist leader but instead they have JJ Barea getting 37 minutes.

But...It seems like coaches usually get fired when the roster is perceived to be on the way up. No new coaches want to be in Fred Hoiberg's position where things are on the way down and you are the fall guy.
    Rondo is awful. He's just a stat stuffer. He can't make a jump shot, which means every play has to run through him -hence the gaudy stats. And then he doesn't defend. Now he has the Kings by the balls in FA because Cousins likes him, and will create a stink if they don't re-sign him. I prefer Collison personally. You also have to bear in mind Rondo has been on his v.best behaviour because he's in a contract year. I pity whoever coaches that team next year.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

what was the logic two weeks ago "resting" all the starters @ golden state? were they conceding the loss and resting the stars while they were tied for 8th spot or was there something else i missed cause ive never seen starters "rested" while tied for playoff spot with single digit games left?

jjgold

as soon as Williams got hurt Dallas got better

Biggest lost in NBA

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Mavs problem is that they are always mediocre so they make the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed and therefore do not get a good draft pick.

They try to patch up their roster every year with retread free agents and it just doesn't work

They need to rebuild from the ground up... getting too old.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Of all the dumb threads you've started (and the list is very long), this one takes the cake.

Cuban wants to keep Carlisle for as long as he wants to be in Dallas. He sees him as "our Jerry Sloan".

Who picked this team to make the playoffs before the season? Almost nobody. The fact that they're still in it despite the injuries is remarkable.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    as soon as Williams got hurt Dallas got better

Biggest lost in NBA
    Might have something to do with the guy filling in for him thinking he's Steph Curry all of a sudden.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by thedirk View Post
    The Mavs weren't expected to make the playoffs according to a lot of expert predictions. Teams like the Pelicans and Jazz were expected to make a jump.

They came into the season with Matthews expected to return in December from achiles surgery. Parsons also out until December from knee injury.

Their early season success was a big surprise and with the West being very mediocre made it look like they'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

Now... I do think Carlisle has mismanaged this team. He is obsessed with playing multiple point guards at the same time and they keep getting burned on defense because they're so outmatched against far more athletic teams. Namely Barea... he literally can't guard anyone... and without anyone in the lineup to cover up for him... it's pretty bleak for the Mavs.

I can't guarantee the results would be different if he had given a guy like Justin Anderson more of a chance, but it wouldn't have hurt. It's comical at times to see the switches on defense with a guy like Barea on Gay or Barnes.

Still, Carlisle has the second safest job in the league and he signed a huge contract earlier in this season. They can lose every game and he'll be around.
    Other than Anderson and Parsons (who is now hurt and was playing quite a bit of his minutes at the 4), who is a real small forward on this team? The 3-guard lineups are a necessity, not a tactical choice.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by frogsrangers View Post
    Mavs problem is that they are always mediocre so they make the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed and therefore do not get a good draft pick.

They try to patch up their roster every year with retread free agents and it just doesn't work

They need to rebuild from the ground up... getting too old.
    I give them credit for always taken the best availables and going to battle. Cant see em doing anything different until Dirk retires after 2(?) more seasons.

I hate to say if but if Deandre didnt pull out this team could have been 3rd in the west. Undo the Parson injury and you have a threat to GSW because its a terrible matchup for them...wouldnt be a sweep anyhow.

12 Last