Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Why Are Politicians So Enamored With Power?

I've been a political junkie for decades now. So much drama is involved with trying to be elected, one party trying to get over on the other, and all the childish antics used by both sides to sway voters who just live for sound bites.

I was just chilling at the house yesterday, watching a spring training baseball game, just enjoying the peace and serenity of the day. During a commercial I switched over to one of the news networks, and saw the normal bickering and name calling you see from almost all of them.

I just don't understand why these guys are programmed the way they are. Why are powerful positions so important to these people? Are these people that seduced by being in control? You have two candidates that are 69, and one that is 74. They probably have less than 2 decades left on this Earth. They aren't going to live too long after their terms to see what they improved or screwed up. Yet, we will be forced to live with it.

I know I'm just rambling on, but this for some reason began to bother me. Do these people feel like they are filling a personal void by controlling the general population? Are they so consumed with attempting to steer our destinies as Americans that they can't stay to themselves and do their own thing? Gosh, I wish we had term limits across the board.
    Points Awarded:

No coincidences gave Mr KLC 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: No coincidences

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

First you get the power, then you get the money, then you get the woman.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Because they have small hands.. and you know what that means

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I've been a political junkie for decades now. So much drama is involved with trying to be elected, one party trying to get over on the other, and all the childish antics used by both sides to sway voters who just live for sound bites.

I was just chilling at the house yesterday, watching a spring training baseball game, just enjoying the peace and serenity of the day. During a commercial I switched over to one of the news networks, and saw the normal bickering and name calling you see from almost all of them.

I just don't understand why these guys are programmed the way they are. Why are powerful positions so important to these people? Are these people that seduced by being in control? You have two candidates that are 69, and one that is 74. They probably have less than 2 decades left on this Earth. They aren't going to live too long after their terms to see what they improved or screwed up. Yet, we will be forced to live with it.

I know I'm just rambling on, but this for some reason began to bother me. Do these people feel like they are filling a personal void by controlling the general population? Are they so consumed with attempting to steer our destinies as Americans that they can't stay to themselves and do their own thing? Gosh, I wish we had term limits across the board.

good question and it has been discussed philosophically for thousands of years . Many answers but only one warning; don't trust them.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8393

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    First you get the power, then you get the money, then you get the woman.
    first thing I thought of as well

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8393

everyone of these fukkers have their own reasons I am sure. Power is an aphrodisiac to many people.

khicks26
    khicks26's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18851

I think that the problem is--you know, and Karl Popper writes this in The Open Society and Its Enemies. He said the question is not how do you get good people to rule. Popper says that's the wrong question. Most people, Popper writes, attracted to power are at best mediocre, which is Obama, or venal, which is Bush. The question is: how do you make the power elite frightened of you? Who was the last liberal president we had? It was Richard Nixon--not because he was a liberal, but because he was frightened of movements. And there's a scene--I think it's in Kissinger's memoirs, 1971, huge antiwar demonstration surrounding the White House, and Nixon has put empty buses, city buses end-to-end as a kind of barricade, and he's standing at the window wringing his hands, going, Henry, they're going to break through the barricades and get us. And that's just where you want power, people in power to be.And that's why Sarkozy, who was a cretin, was unable to do too much damage to France, because if you got up in France and told French university students that they were going to pay $50,000 a year to go to college, they'd shut the damn country down.

Chris Hedges.

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by khicks26 View Post
    I think that the problem is--you know, and Karl Popper writes this in The Open Society and Its Enemies. He said the question is not how do you get good people to rule. Popper says that's the wrong question. Most people, Popper writes, attracted to power are at best mediocre, which is Obama, or venal, which is Bush. The question is: how do you make the power elite frightened of you? Who was the last liberal president we had? It was Richard Nixon--not because he was a liberal, but because he was frightened of movements. And there's a scene--I think it's in Kissinger's memoirs, 1971, huge antiwar demonstration surrounding the White House, and Nixon has put empty buses, city buses end-to-end as a kind of barricade, and he's standing at the window wringing his hands, going, Henry, they're going to break through the barricades and get us. And that's just where you want power, people in power to be.And that's why Sarkozy, who was a cretin, was unable to do too much damage to France, because if you got up in France and told French university students that they were going to pay $50,000 a year to go to college, they'd shut the damn country down.

Chris Hedges.
    lol and this kids is why you don't read garbage from Chris Hedges.

haha I'm glad you posted though.

You and Chris should go grab a dictionary, look up the word venal then look up where Obama came from politically... then taste that foot lol

then once you're done, look up who took the most money(political bribes) for their presidency then put that foot back in your mouth.

then once you're done since you have a dictionary already, go ahead and look up the word "mediocre." Once you understand it, go grab a calculator. Type in current debt minus debt when Obama entered; put that foot back in your mouth silly.
    Last edited by brooks85; 03-07-16 at 04:06 PM.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Prestige/ legacy more than power is my guess. Their names would live on forever.

Sound bites come from the other side. Some are memorable, like a chicken in every pot or read my lips.

khicks26

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    lol and this kids is why you don't read garbage from Chris Hedges.

haha I'm glad you posted though.

You and Chris should go grab a dictionary, look up the word venal then look up where Obama came from politically... then taste that foot lol

then once you're done, look up who took the most money(political bribes) for their presidency then put that foot back in your mouth.

then once you're done since you have a dictionary already, go ahead and look up the word "mediocre." Once you understand it, go grab a calculator. Type in current debt minus debt when Obama entered; put that foot back in your mouth silly.
    venal is a good way to describe the Bush Crime Family. Sure Obama took money to get elected, not sure if he pocketed any of that money. For the most part the guy has been a mediocre president.

But anyway, as always you miss the most important part of the post on purpose. So everything fits in that fuked up Brooks agenda. More than likely because your head is full of puss & Thick as a Brick.

I expect this from a person with no real memory & a narrow view of history.

I see why you quoted this part of the post though. Being someone who is venal or mediocre.

and this is why no one should listen to Brooks.

brooks85

venal is a good way to describe the Bush Crime Family. Sure Obama took money to get elected, not sure if he pocketed any of that money. For the most part the guy has been a mediocre president.

But anyway, as always you miss the most important part of the post on purpose. So everything fits in that fuked up Brooks agenda. More than likely because your head is full of puss & Thick as a Brick.

I expect this from a person with no real memory & a narrow view of history.

I see why you quoted this part of the post though. Being someone who is venal or mediocre.

and this is why no one should listen to Brooks.
    you and hedges clearly do understand the concept of "mediocre" the way you're using it. Well, you both do but we also know you're both liberal sheep. You can not double the nation's debt in 8 years, of nearly 240, and call it mediocre... lol pull your head out of your ass

khicks26

you and hedges clearly do understand the concept of "mediocre" the way you're using it. Well, you both do but we also know you're both liberal sheep. You can not double the nation's debt in 8 years, of nearly 240, and call it mediocre... lol pull your head out of your ass
    no real memory & a narrow view of history

brooks85

no real memory & a narrow view of history
    well, it is a good thing I know how to read a book. Here, let me help you;

me·di·o·cre
    ˌmēdēˈōkər/<input height="14" type="image" width="14">
    adjective
    adjective: mediocre

of only moderate quality; not very good.

mod·er·ate
    adjective
    adjective: moderate
    ˈmäd(ə)rət/
    average in amount, intensity, quality, or degree.

av·er·age
    ˈav(ə)rij/<input height="14" type="image" width="14">
    noun

noun: average; plural noun: averages; noun: avg.
    a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

khicks26

me·di·o·cre
    ˌmēdēˈōkər/
    adjective

mod·er·ate
    adjective
    ˈmäd(ə)rət/

av·er·age
    ˈav(ə)rij/
    noun

a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

So are you venal or mediocre.

brooks85

So are you venal or mediocre.
    I'm able to use the words correctly lol

obama and mediocre... un-penetrating-real lol. Such a slap in the face to US history. Chris Hedges is dog shit, don't be like him. You're better than that. I wouldn't call noam dog shit so that should give you some perspective.

khicks26

obama and mediocre... un-penetrating-real lol. Such a slap in the face to US history. Chris Hedges is dog shit, don't be like him. You're better than that. I wouldn't call noam dog shit so that should give you some perspective.
    Hedges dislikes Obama more than you. He sued him for authorizing the military to detain U.S. citizens indefinitely. What have you done besides bitch in this forum.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

rooster envy

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

that's Hillary's excuse anyway

brooks85

Hedges dislikes Obama more than you. He sued him for authorizing the military to detain U.S. citizens indefinitely. What have you done besides bitch in this forum.

Clearly not because he just called the worst president in history mediocre. If obama was a republican and bush was a democrat it would have been bush who was mediocre to hedges.

khicks26

Clearly not because he just called the worst president in history mediocre.
    That's your opinion & as always your opinion is not fact, like you think it is.

brooks85

which is why I don't make my statements based on things like opinions

me·di·o·cre
    ˌmēdēˈōkər/<input height="14" type="image" width="14">
    adjective

mod·er·ate
    adjective
    ˈmäd(ə)rət/

av·er·age
    ˈav(ə)rij/<input height="14" type="image" width="14">
    noun

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Look around, it isn't just politicans, this is the norm in society these days. The country has been torn apart by greed and self loathing. Everyone wanting a piece of the pie even if they don't deserve one but will push someone else out of the way to get what they consider "theirs". The belief in helping each other to work for a common goal is almost gone as most would rather bitch and moan about what is wrong with America instead of solving the problem.
    I have to think our founding fathers would be shaking their heads in pure amazement about how pathetic things have become. If your #1 argument as a elected official is nothing is getting done because of those republicans or democrats then you should be fired immediately. Hell people working at Walmart get fired for not being able to work together so why should be any different if you are one of the people in charge of the United States? It's pretty hard to better the country when people elected to these positions cant put their own petty shit aside, such as a title, and actually accomplished something. But I guess I can't be totally shocked because it is the same way in everyday life amongst neighbors, co-workers, and many families. The only thing that is going to save this country and world is for people to pull their heads out of their asses and take one minute to consider the welfare of others before themselves once in awhile. Until then no one can expect anything to be better.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Otters27

khicks26

which is why I don't make my statements based on things like opinions
    I find that to be BS

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

You literally ruin all of these threads.

Go away.

brooks85

^lol

the only person who ruined this thread was khicks by mentioning chris hedges work. Pure garbage. There are real philosophers that have discussed this topic. But, you wouldn't know just like khicks.

I find that to be BS
    well thankfully you can double check it with a calculator.

go grab one; write down 240 years, 8 years, $10 trillion and $20 trillion(price tag by the time he leaves.)

Then we can do some math to help you understand.

so you ask me what have I done? Well, I sure haven't misled people like chris hedges.
    Last edited by brooks85; 03-07-16 at 07:08 PM.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    You literally ruin all of these threads.

Go away.
    lol

Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

I have said for 40 years "Anyone who wants your vote, isn't worth voting for"
    Only an insane egomaniac would put up with the modern political process.
    For the first 100 years in America, presidential candidates did not campaign, they did not even, outwardly at least, ask for a nomination or a vote - because if someone was doing that then he was too low to vote for. The idea was that the president be drafted by the people, that way you would get the best man for the job. Too bad it didn't work.

BoL
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jtoler

khicks26

^lol

the only person who ruined this thread was khicks by mentioning chris hedges work. Pure garbage. There are real philosophers that have discussed this topic. But, you wouldn't know just like khicks.

well thankfully you can double check it with a calculator.

go grab one; write down 240 years, 8 years, $10 trillion and $20 trillion(price tag by the time he leaves.)

Then we can do some math to help you understand.

so you ask me what have I done? Well, I sure haven't mislead people like chris hedges.
    Yes because you & your little bo peep diploma are a better source of information.

brooks85

Yes because you & your little bo peep diploma are a better source of information.
    yeah, they just picked random philosophers for students to study... lol. Now that I think about it, I can't believe chris hedges wasn't one of them!

yeah maybe they should add chris hedges or... youtube U?

khicks26

yeah, they just picked random philosophers for students to study... lol. Now that I think about it, I can't believe chris hedges wasn't one of them!

yeah maybe they should add chris hedges or... youtube U?
    Its not them, its you. You choose to listen to them because it fits your agenda, not that you know anything about the person or admire what they have done.

They were just convenient for you. You are the problem & your little bo peep diploma.

brooks85

hey maybe you'll get your way one day. The democrats do control the education system and have done a great job retarding the students. One day you might be able to call someone who has been statistically the worse, "mediocre," and educated people like myself won't be around to point out the error.

khicks26

hey maybe you'll get your way one day. The democrats do control the education system and have done a great job retarding the students. One day you might be able to call someone who has been statistically the worse, "mediocre," and educated people like myself won't be around to point out the error.
    I wouldn't say your education was mediocre, its your way of thinking that made your education mediocre. I don't need you to point out anything.

brooks85

I wouldn't say your education was mediocre, its your way of thinking that made your education mediocre. I don't need you to point out anything.
    again, maybe someday you'll get your way with how the democrats are retarding the education system.

khicks26

again, maybe someday you'll get your way with how the democrats are retarding the education system.
    If you knew anything you would know its both parties. But you don't.

12 Last