LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Doug Fister Signs with Astros

Now if only they could improve their bullpen...

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Now if only they could improve their bullpen...
    Getting Ken Giles was a nice move.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

Love this signing. Only a 1 year deal, and got him for less than the $10 million he was projected for (unless he hits the incentives that will pay him up to $12 million). Hopefully eat some innings up, and act as a stop gap until some of our younger arms on the farm are ready. Also doesn't cost us a draft pick like Gallardo would have. Rotation potentially looking like this.

Keuchel
    McHugh
    McCullers
    Fiers
    Fister

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10218

If Fister is starting for Astros come spring they have real problems

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5588

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    I wouldnt give up on him yet. Pretty low risk contract (compared to what some of these guys are getting).

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Looks like I'm no longer the only "fister" in H-town

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

He's not a terrible option if he's their 5th starter.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 170

5th starters that are decent are hard to come by. He would be a 3rd starter in many other rotations

Otters27

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    Looks like I'm no longer the only "fister" in H-town
    Lol You sick fuk

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

Astros will have a really solid rotation.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9269

Not sure if this will be a good signing.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2476

most teams don't need to rely on a fifth starter

LT Profits

Why would you say that? You can do a LOT worse than Fister as your fifth starter.

trobin31

Fister will be a great option when your team is getting a beatdown and you need someone to eat up innnings. If you put him in a close game you might as well forfeit. At least that is how he pitched this past year. Who knows, maybe he will have a resurgence. But his velocity and movement were non existent this past year and that's gonna be hard to recuperate. It's not like we're talking about Justin Verlander here....

trobin31

Why would you say that? You can do a LOT worse than Fister as your fifth starter.
    I say it because his velocity and control are slowly suffering and that does not portend a good prognosis. I know he was dealing with some arm issues this year so maybe he can recover some of it. One thing I know is Fister MUST locate every single pitch he throws bc he throws on avg mid 80s. When he can locate he can get ground balls with the best of em, and he's gonna need as many ground balls as he can muster in that ballpark. They took a calculated risk he might revert back to prior form. I don't have a problem with that. But if 2015 Fister shows up in h-town as your 5th starter with a 86mph fb and a slider with no bite, they will have muy problemas. I also think Fister is deceptive which gets him through the first several at bats guys see him, but, eventually the fact his stuff is less than stellar starts to show.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

I say it because his velocity and control are slowly suffering and that does not portend a good prognosis. I know he was dealing with some arm issues this year so maybe he can recover some of it. One thing I know is Fister MUST locate every single pitch he throws bc he throws on avg mid 80s. When he can locate he can get ground balls with the best of em, and he's gonna need as many ground balls as he can muster in that ballpark. They took a calculated risk he might revert back to prior form. I don't have a problem with that. But if 2015 Fister shows up in h-town as your 5th starter with a 86mph fb and a slider with no bite, they will have muy problemas. I also think Fister is deceptive which gets him through the first several at bats guys see him, but, eventually the fact his stuff is less than stellar starts to show.
    One thing in his favor is that he has one of the best pitching coaches in the league with Houston in Brent Strom. Keuchel and McHugh credit their careers to him. Maybe he can help Fister contend with the lower velocity.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Fister will be a great option when your team is getting a beatdown and you need someone to eat up innnings. If you put him in a close game you might as well forfeit. At least that is how he pitched this past year. Who knows, maybe he will have a resurgence. But his velocity and movement were non existent this past year and that's gonna be hard to recuperate. It's not like we're talking about Justin Verlander here....
    Wait.. what?

9.2 WAR over the last 4 seasons (I know WAR isn't a great stat, but it's easier than breaking down everything). Last year was mediocre, but was also his worst season in the majors. Fister could be a #3 for many teams, he'll slot in as the #4/#5 for the Astros.

No real risk, if he does poorly there are plenty of other arms that can join the rotation come late-May/June. This will buy them some time in the minors, ex. Vincent Velasquez.

Also, their bullpen wasn't even bad last year, in fact it was pretty good, and they added Giles.

pinnerpsk
    pinnerpsk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 439

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    Wait.. what?

9.2 WAR over the last 4 seasons (I know WAR isn't a great stat, but it's easier than breaking down everything). Last year was mediocre, but was also his worst season in the majors. Fister could be a #3 for many teams, he'll slot in as the #4/#5 for the Astros.

No real risk, if he does poorly there are plenty of other arms that can join the rotation come late-May/June. This will buy them some time in the minors, ex. Vincent Velasquez.

There's a reason why he didn't sign for what everyone expected he would sign for.
    His velocity is way down and a lot of the WAR was not accumulated recently.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Wow

astro61200

Quote Originally Posted by pinnerpsk View Post
    There's a reason why he didn't sign for what everyone expected he would sign for.
    His velocity is way down and a lot of the WAR was not accumulated recently.
    Velocity isn't that important when you've always been below 90.. He should do well with the Astro's pitching coach

Otters27

Velocity isn't that important when you've always been below 90.. He should do well with the Astro's pitching coach
    Very true. Power pitchers that lose velocity ate usually fukked

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

I was a fister fan fan when he first came up never reached his potential

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32858

Nice 5th starter .

Auto Donk

talk about a buzz kill.... I was just about to ink some tickets for a few games this year.....

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9269

I guess he could work as a 5th starter.

trobin31

I think Fister has good mechanics and very deceptive delivery. Hitters who haven't faced him before have trouble locating his pitches. This helped him alot his first year in the National League. This is his second go around in the AL, he might face a handful of guys who haven't seen him yet so I expect he may do well the early part of the season. Once you've seen him a couple times, and can spot his release, his stuff is garbage, maybe a decent slider. I wish the guy well, I really do. I'm not so sure Astros couldn't have better spent that money on improving their bullpen, although I suspect Fister could end up in the bullpen in long relief if he doesn't do a 180 from 2015.

astro61200

I think Fister has good mechanics and very deceptive delivery. Hitters who haven't faced him before have trouble locating his pitches. This helped him alot his first year in the National League. This is his second go around in the AL, he might face a handful of guys who haven't seen him yet so I expect he may do well the early part of the season. Once you've seen him a couple times, and can spot his release, his stuff is garbage, maybe a decent slider. I wish the guy well, I really do. I'm not so sure Astros couldn't have better spent that money on improving their bullpen, although I suspect Fister could end up in the bullpen in long relief if he doesn't do a 180 from 2015.
    Again, no real need for the Astros to improve their bullpen. Fister will be a decent SP, low #3-4/high #5. He'll end up making spot starts after the young guys move into the rotation, and provide solid long relief to help protect their young SP's from running up a high innings count.

A 1 year, $7 million deal is very good for that. High end, you may get a #2 starter, low end you get a spot guy who can eat up innings in relief and protect your future investments.

$7M isn't that much anymore. Especially for a guy who would have gotten PAID had he been a FA last year.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

fister. Fresno st alum!

LT Profits

Again, no real need for the Astros to improve their bullpen.
    They would have beaten the eventual World Champions with a better bullpen last year. Game 4 was the obvious example but they also blew a lead in the first game they lost.

astro61200

They would have beaten the eventual World Champions with a better bullpen last year. Game 4 was the obvious example but they also blew a lead in the first game they lost.
    Hard to judge an entire bullpen on a game or two. That would be like saying the Angels needed a new OF if Mike Trout went 0/5 in a deciding game . Their bullpen was solid/very good all year long. I'm glad to see they didn't overreact and go out and waste a bunch of money on relievers that aren't necessary.

Adding Giles gives them a legit, strikeout closer. Gregerson will be better in a setup role (like in SD)
    Last edited by astro61200; 02-01-16 at 07:10 AM.

LT Profits

Hard to judge an entire bullpen on a game or two. That would be like saying the Angels needed a new OF if Mike Trout went 0/5 in a deciding game . Their bullpen was solid/very good all year long. I'm glad to see they didn't overreact and go out and waste a bunch of money on relievers that aren't necessary.

Adding Giles gives them a legit, strikeout closer. Gregerson will be better in a setup role (like in SD)
    Obviously (regarding the limited sampling), but they had guys that overachieved during the regular season in relation to their peripheral numbers (especially Will Harris and his .192 BABIP) and while Gregerson was OK, he is not a legitimate closer. Were they vastly improved over the prior year, certainly. But were they really good, meh. With that said, I do love Giles, he gives them the power arm they were lacking. Bullpen had the lowest average velocity in the majors last year at around 90 MPH and now they get a closer that throws 95.

astro61200

Obviously (regarding the limited sampling), but they had guys that overachieved during the regular season in relation to their peripheral numbers (especially Will Harris and his .192 BABIP) and while Gregerson was OK, he is not a legitimate closer. Were they vastly improved over the prior year, certainly. But were they really good, meh. With that said, I do love Giles, he gives them the power arm they were lacking. Bullpen had the lowest average velocity in the majors last year at around 90 MPH and now they get a closer that throws 95.
    Josh Fields has been very good, and would be closing for some MLB teams. Pat Neshek is another solid option. Harris did have an outstandingly low BABIP last year, but even with that his xFIP was still 3.31.

A bullpen of Giles closing, Gregerson as the main setup, and then Fields, Sipp, Harris, and Neshek isn't bad and is better than the majority of major league pens.

They don't have a lot of big names there, but why spend a ton of money for a big name that will barely outperform who they have.

Auto Donk

astros bullpen tryouts from years past:

Name:  asstros bullpen lineup.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  45.9 KB

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90060

That is actually a good Veteren pick up.

exlusive123
    exlusive123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2155

Agree

12 Last