kontiki
    kontiki's Avatar Become A Pro!

Help with some terminology about spreads

Hey all, im new here I have a newbie question, I've read on the free picks this
    L.A. Clippers +3 against Portland Trail Blazers

but my bet provider offers me
    Portland Trail Blazers - Los Angeles Clippers (-2.5/+2.5).

Now, do i take 1 (-2.5) or 2(+2.5)?
    And if i pick +2.5 does it mean whoever wins will win with over 2.5 points or the favorite only?
    Thanks!!

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 332

-2.5 means the Trailblazer have to win by 3 or more for you to be a winner.
    +2.5 means the Clippers have to win or lose by no more than 2 points for you to win

Ratzz
    Ratzz's Avatar Become A Pro!

this means that Portland is expected to win this game by 3 pts. (-3)
    the logic being that if you select Portland you are beginning the game 3 points behind..

if you select the Clippers then you are beginning the game 3 pts ahead (+3)
    given that the other team must outscore them by three to win and cover the line.

1) a person that tells you a team followed by a (+) is indicating the Underdog will cover (not lose by 3 in this case)
    2) a person that tells you a team followed by a (–) is indicating the Favorite will cover (win by 4 or more)

the correct pick in this game is Portland Trail Blazers (-3) in this case, i believe

Good Luck

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Lines are different at different places. The tip you recieved was Clippers +3, your book is offering Clippers +2.5.

DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

don't follow someone else's picks. since you are new, if a play seems dumb obvious, pick the opposite side. the explanations above are good.

kontiki
    kontiki's Avatar Become A Pro!

well, I don't know if this one seems dumb hehe, for now i played only other ppl's recommendations, because i know almost nothing about these clubs yet. I bet with small amounts for now, so it wont be some big loss. By the way what do you think about this +3 spread pick?

And thanks for the explanations : )

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Clippers and Blake Griffin playing better of late. Portland struggling to stay healthy.

Doc

DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    Clippers and Blake Griffin playing better of late. Portland struggling to stay healthy.

Doc
    Clippers aren't the same on the road as they are at home this year though. I guess I would go with the Clippers plus the points though. Taking them +2.5 is a ripoff though. Almost all the online books are +3.5 -110, and I would take them at that price and line.

jwbjwbjwb12
    jwbjwbjwb12's Avatar Become A Pro!

clippers and the points...good luck and welcome