Wangsta3
    Wangsta3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

Humble brag but serious thread

I've gotten pretty lucky the past few weeks and have wound up with a decently large sum of money (for me at least). I'm pretty young so I'm not that educated on how tax laws and everything works, but how much money could I deposit in the bank without raising eyebrows? Should I just keep the cash in a safe or something? Been in the market for a new car and I've recently won enough combined with my actually earned money to buy the car without any note, but scared that might be a bad idea.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

Anything $10,000 or more is reported by banks after 9/11. My mom works at a bank, any wire transfers over that amount is automatically red flagged so if you want to stay under the radar keep it under $10 grand. At least that is what my mother told me and how they do things, I guess I can't speak for all banks

Wangsta3
    Wangsta3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

By that do you mean don't deposit $10k at once? Like if I were to deposit in increments of $5k once a week for a couple weeks would that raise eyebrows?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Continuous transfers under $10,000 is a federal crime if proven money not legit

Some clause about your trying to evade taxes

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Wangsta3 View Post
    By that do you mean don't deposit $10k at once? Like if I were to deposit in increments of $5k once a week for a couple weeks would that raise eyebrows?
    I mean what I said, whatever you take out make sure it stays under that amount on withdrawals that are heading to your bank account. As a result of 9/11 the government is monitoring large sums of cash coming in or out of country in an attempt to stop illegal activity.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

When you deposit in a bank there's a paper trail. When you put the $$ in a safe deposit bank there is not. A paper trail can get you in all sorts of trouble, particularly with taxes. Having a lot of cash can potentially make you vulnerable to robbery. Which criminals are you more afraid of--the government or just regular bad guys?

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    When you deposit in a bank there's a paper trail. When you put the $$ in a safe deposit bank there is not. A paper trail can get you in all sorts of trouble, particularly with taxes. Having a lot of cash can potentially make you vulnerable to robbery. Which criminals are you more afraid of--the government or just regular bad guys?